dating a diabetic

A man I''ve been dating is a diabetic who controls it by using sugar substitutes and seriously reducing his carb intake. I''d like to be able to cook for him some time, and I''d especially like to be able to make some nice desserts, but I''m not sure where to start looking for recipes for things he can eat. Does anyone know of any sites where I can start looking? Perhaps someone has a few recipes they can share with me. I''ve never had to think of these things before, but I like him enough to make the effort to find something he might enjoy.

2. # ADS

First, I avoid all sugar substitutes, even stevia. That's a big challenge for most people though.

But, when I used to make desserts with low or no sugar, I liked making gelatin things with commercial sodas. Like sugar free cherry jello made with diet cola, or SF lime jello with diet ginger ale. Lots of possibilities.

The old Weight Watchers had a recipe for a 'cheesecake' that was good if you didn't think of it as cheesecake. It used sieved cottage cheese, gelatin, almond flavoring and other stuff. It was good with plain fruit topping it, but I liked it as is.

Diabetics vary greatly in what they can tolerate. If he can tolerate dairy and fruit to some degree, try making a mediterranean layered dessert with yogurt and crushed berries. Greek mamas would make this with plain yogurt, strawberries and honey all layered and swirled.

He might be keeping away from dairy and fruit. If that's the case, look to natural peanut butter or other nuts and nut butters. Going to more savory rather than sweet, marzipan or peanut butter can be dipped in bitter chocolate, or pecans sauteed or roasted with spices.

My dad was diagnosed w/ diabetes well after I moved away from home, but it is hard to know what to cook. Try googling diabetic desert recipe's and things like that. If you have a specific dish in mind try that as well such as "diabetic pumpkin pie" or "sugar free pumpkin pie" You can even look for a diabetic support website with a forum, then you should be able to read lots of feedback on the recipes posted. Good luck! I'm sure he'll really appreciate it :D

Remove Ads

Ads