Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: college cooking

college cooking

moving into an apt with KITCHEN this year! anyone have good, easy, *preferably* vegetarian recipes that are practical for college-living?

2. # ADS

I'm terrible with writing down specific directions for recipes, but my mom makes these fabulous stuffed shells (vegetarian friendly but NOT vegan friendly, for vegans reading this). And we have lots of other recipes. I need to compile them before I head off to university, anyway, so if I do that anytime soon, I'll post them!

When I was in college, I got addicted to the Minimalist, a column in the food/dining section of the NY Times. The column author, Mark Bittman, has a bunch of cookbooks (The Minimalist Cooks Dinner is a good one). He only uses a few incredients (usually 5-9) and also includes several variation ideas for each recipe, which makes each one pretty versatile. I've also used many of his recipes as a base to create my own.

In any case, when I was in school, I didn't have the time/money to buy a whole huge spice rack and gigantic pantry, so I like Bittman's emphasis on just a few key staples. And his stuff is healthy and tasty, and much better than the ramen/microwave burritos that my friends were living on.

Ahh, the days of Ramen and boxed Mac and Cheese and spagetti.
    Soups are easy and you can make a huge batch over the weekend - and freeze single portion sized containers/zip lock bags for a quick meal later.
    Are you going to be sharing the kitchen with roomates? I highly recommend the my shelf my stuff method - with one shelf dedicated to sharing (ex. if it is on the bottom shelf - fair game) That way (hopefully) nothing gets shoved to the back to turn into a new life form that no one will take responsibility for.
    If you want a break from boxed Mac and Cheese:
    Melt 2 Tbs. butter in small pan. Add 2 Tbs. flour. Then add 1 and 1/2 cups milk. Over medium heat - stirring constantly - cook until thickened. Add Worshershire sauce (1Tbs or so) and onion powder(about 1 tsp.).
    Cook 2 cups macaroni. Drain
    Take 1 pound of cheese - cut about 4 slices then grate half and cube half.
    Toss it all together - pour into square casserole top with sliced cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 for 30min. TaDa

There's a great cookbook called "The Starving Student's Vegetarian Cookbook." I got it from the library, and I made a lot of really good recipes from it. They're fast, they're easy, and they use pretty cheap ingredients. I recommend checking it out.

If you have a farmers market anywhere nearby, I highly suggest buying produce from them if you can. If you are a regular, they usually start throwing in extra stuff, or give you a good deal at the end of the day. Fresh veggies are a lot better than the canned.

Get a thing of frozen stir fry veggies.
    You can make some rice, and mix in some tofu and the veggies, and it's a good quick meal, especially if you get a rice cooker, and keep some cooked rice on hand in a ziplock.
    At the Costco here they have a huge bag of rice for super cheap.
    [I haven't actually tried it with tofu,since we usually use chicken, or beef strips, but I think if you fry the tofu in the mixture below, and made sure it was in small cubes, it would taste really good.]
    If you keep some ginger root and minced garlic and a little thing of soy sauce, and some olive oil, you can mix those all together to fry up some rice in.
    They also can go in a ton of dishes by themselves.
    Pesto is another yummy thing that is pretty easy to make if I remember correctly. I think it's just pine nuts, basil, and olive oil all thrown in a blender. Put it over some pasta, and there you go.
    Potato chowder is easy to make ahead of time...same with corn chowder. Cook up a batch of them, and put in some of those super thick freezer ziplocks in individual portions. Then you could just nuke or heat on the stove for something filling. Especially with some bread.

The Original Bean Thing

I copied this from something a guy from India used to make in the dining halls at college, and a Turkish girl recognized it and was suprised I knew of the dish...but dammit, I forgot to ask what it's called! If anyone knows, let me in on it! Until then...it's the Original Bean Thing!

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup cooked navy beans (canned works)
    1/2 - 1 chopped cucumber
    1 chopped tomato
    1/4 - 1/2 chopped red onion
    (the idea is to have about equal amounts rice/beans and veggies)
    a few pickled banana pepper rings
    olive oil
    a few squeezes lime juice
    2 BAM!s cumin
    1 tsp or so dill
    salt + pepper to taste

Let the rice cool a bit and spread it out on a plate. Top with beans, room temp. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some salt. Top with cuke, tomato and onion. Drizzle again with olive oil and squeeze on lime juice. Top with cumin, dill and pepper. Peppers go on top. Don't share with anybody, or they'll demand you make some for them too every time you make some for yourself.

Mediterranian Bean Thing:

substitute garbanzos for navy beans, marinated artichoke hearts for peppers, balsamic vinegar for lime juice, oregano and basil for cumin and dill.

Pretty much...keep brown rice and varieties of canned beans on hand. Top whatever veggies you might have, some herbs, some olive oil, and something for a hint of sour.

Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer's new book, The Garden of Vegan has a great section of recipes designed for college folk -- they're all microwave recipes! Very quick, easy, nutritionally complete meals involving beans, vegetables, and rice. I was really impressed!

get a rice cooker and poke around an asian market for things you can quickly sprinkle on top of the rice. totally worth it. also you can mix it with black eyed peas, thats kinda good for a change sometimes.

One of my favorite things to keep on-hand is Angel Hair pasta.

Cause it boils up in like 3 minutes.

You can put anything you want with it, just butter and parmesan, mushrooms, veggies... but it somehow makes it seem like a meal, if that makes any sense.

Another thing like that is tortillas. We always have tortillas. Cause you can stick almost anything in a tortilla and make a meal out of it.

(okay, I'm not Betty Crocker, but I know how to cheat!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads