Craftivism:shelter for battered women & their children (

hey crafty peeps,

i've decided to make a donation this year to la casa de las madres, a san francisco based group that offers emergency services to women and their children escaping domestic violence.

i've spoken with the donations coordinator, and this is the information that i received.

they have women of all ages there, and children from newborn to age 18, so items of all sizes and colors would be welcome. they would take blankets, scarves, hats, mittens, gloves - all the standard handmade stuff. if you do not knit or crochet, you are welcome to sew any donations. machine washable is good, so is warm wool, but they are not picky and would take anything. you are welcome to wrap stuff if you want, but please put a tag on the outside indicating what is inside, and the size, etc. i also suggest attaching a tag indicating the fabric content, care instructions, and maybe a little pick-me-up message.

they are also looking for donations of art and craft supplies - fabric, yarn, needles, paper, crayons, hooks, glue, markers, etc. NO magazines, they already have plenty.

they accept donations year-round, but if you would like to have your gift as a holiday thing, they need it by dec. 17th. if you live in the area, i would be happy to coordinate a drop-off for gifts. i will be leaving for ohio on dec. 18th, so i would need donations by DECEMBER 11th to get them over in time. if you are not in the area, you can mail a donation directly to the center (address below). if you would prefer to send it to me, let me know and i'll give you my address.

any questions, please let me know. i know many of us are making gifts for our families and friends this year, and i encourage you all to find time to make a little hat for a baby or something else. the war against women that goes on every day (especially in this political climate) is something we can fight with our votes, and with our tangible support of women in need.

thanks for everything!

http://www.lacasa.org/index.html
    http://www.lacasa.org/wish_list.html
    About La Casa: La Casa de las Madres offers emergency residential shelter to battered women and their children while providing counseling, family-based services and referrals. Our Emergency Crisis Shelter has the capacity to shelter and support 35 women and children per night. La Casa's downtown San Francisco office houses our two 24-hour Crisis Phone Lines, a Drop-In Counseling Center, the Teen Intervention & Prevention Program, and the Community Education & Outreach Program. All services are offered free-of-charge in English and Spanish.

La Casa de las Madres
    1850 Mission Street, Suite B
    San Francisco, CA 94103

2. # ADS

Pretty much just a bump. I think this is a wonderful idea, especially with so many of us feeling a little lost post election.

Please keep this active in your hearts and hands, if not on the boards.

--One of those women.

I'm going to send some stuff. I donated some stuff to the women's shelter here after my mom, my sister and myself ran away from my dad.

I wish I'd read this thread earlier. No matter. I'll try to get stuff together in January. Maybe I can get my friends in on it, since the only charity-thing we're doing at my school seems slightly counter-productive (don't ask; I know I shouldn't criticize charity).

Remove Ads

Ads