Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone love to sew but it never comes out right?

I begged for a sewing machine last year for christmas and I got one. Now it sits, lonely in my craft/computer room because I get so agravated everytime I try to sew something! I don't know if it's just I'm impatient, or that I just don't understand the patterns. I attempted to make this peasant shirt. Came out all wrong, my armpits felt like they were way to tight. The only cool thing I've made is a simple purse.
    Is there a good book someone can reccomend to help me along with my sewing woes. I'm thinking about getting sewing for idiots. Am I the only one that has a problem with this!!??? I want to be good at sewing, help me!

2. # ADS

I've had the same problem ... still have it. But a few days ago I made a skirt, freestyle! It worked! I'm wearing it! People have asked me where I bought it!! Best part is, I made it from a pair of pants that I started a year ago and never finished, because they made me cry and curse and throw things at the wall. It took: about a day's worth of daydreamery planning, while doing other things; a free morning; sheer stubborness;most important, not caring how it turned out, but wanting to see if it could be done. That leaves you free to invent solutions, rather than overturning your sewing machine when things do't work out right.

And sadly, like knitting, I suspect success at sewing also requires a fair amount of failed projects that you've learned from.

Your too-tight armhole sleeves sound like the ones on 3 jerseys I made before I figured out where to measure for the armhole measurement.

Just keep going! It gets better, it really does.

Thanks for the support. I tackled knitting and actually have gotten better but still a little afraid to try to make something other than a scarf. I really want to try making something out of plastic bags...as you might have seen on other threads..but am wondering if they are going to make me crazy.
    I dunno, I'll just keep plugging away!!

I get so frustrated reading patterns! Why do they just not make sense to me? Are these abbreviations some secret language that talented seamstreses inherently know?? Was I just not born with the sewing gene?

And I swear my sewing machine hates me. I swear I hear it laughing while it adjusts its own tension and breaks the thread.....

teehee - I love you gals! I swear my machine hates me too! I have had a heck of a time w/ sewing as well. And the worst part? My mom is a FANTASTIC sewer - so it should be in the genes, right? Um no.
    Anyway, I have the sewing for dummies book(shamefully displayed on my bookshelf) and it's good with lots of advice and info that helps the new sewer. My advice is to take a basic class - you will learn your way around your machine. You'll be surprised - believe me, I was. Then, find someone who can help you when you need it! This is key. My mom has been invaluable in helping me understand patterns, etc. (You might even meet someone at the class!)
    Most of all, give yourself a break! You don't expect perfection from ready to wear, so why expect it from yourself??? Find a simple pattern you like, work on it until you perfect it then make a million skirts, blouses, whatever. I did that this summer with a bias skirt pattern. I had to adjust it for length but I made like 6-7 skirts.
    I started with purses and only made purses for about 4 years. It is only very recently that I have made clothes that I'd actually wear in public. It was thru sheer determination and desperation that I made clothes.
    I still fight with my machine all the time, but Jezze you're right, it DOES get better!
    Good luck and hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldsmumsy
    I get so frustrated reading patterns! Why do they just not make sense to me? Are these abbreviations some secret language that talented seamstreses inherently know?? Was I just not born with the sewing gene?

And I swear my sewing machine hates me. I swear I hear it laughing while it adjusts its own tension and breaks the thread.....
    Ha Ha Ha!!! (holding myself laughing) I totally agree with you!!! I'm currently looking for a book to decode those hyrogliphcs (I can't spell, sound out the word and you'll get it) I always cut my pattens to big or something. And darting! Oh god! And my sewing machine always has problems in the bobin. It's forever popping out, or knotted up. Freakn' thing!

Sewing is great, pattern directions must come from alien writers. Seroiusly, just use your creativity and alter clothes from thrift stores, yard sales, and freebies. This experience has yielded me several items I love, and several items I tossed, but always felt I learned something in the process.

Actually, it's funny you said that mele....
    I have tonz of clothing here to be altered...but I'm not sure how to "take things in". A lot of my pants are too big now and I was just going to donate them but then I'm just going to go in the salvation army and look for some that will fit me! Should I cut pieces out the waistband, I was thinking kind of on an angle, like a triangular piece on each side? Is this making sense? I dunno! I don't want to ruin the pants, just make 'em fit!

I am the same way. I have a lovely sewing machine, but everything I try to make always comes out fitting horribly and I get so frustrated!
    What I've realized though, is that I always try to make things that are too advanced and because I don't know the proper techniques, nothing looks right. I've started trying EASY projects and now I'm taking a sewing class, so I'm actually learning the right way to do things![/quote]

I wish I could find a sewing class in this black hole!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads