Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need suggestions for where to have knitting meetings.

So I'm starting my own knitting group after Christmas...permitting I get enough people interested. Closest Stitch 'n Bitch group is in Philly and that's about 40 miles from me...that's a big negative. I want to know if anyone has suggestions on where to have meetings. There's not too much around where I live but I keep thinking I'm missing something right under my nose. My ideas so far:

-Craft room at the craft store in the mall (but I don't know if they'll let me first off, secondly we probalby have to pay)
    -Library (it's free, but we would have to be quiet...and I don't know if they allow it anyway)
    -Boscov's auditorium (which is where I work, it's a department store. But we have classes in this "auditoruim" and charge money for it after the holidays. I did talk to personel breifly about it but she's always busy!)
    -Cafe (but there really isn't one anymore, a few artsy resturants in Jim Thorpe but I don't know what they are like)

Help me please! Tanks!

2. # ADS

hey there,

we started our crafty club last July and after months of suffering these smae issues we meet every Monday in my living room. Cafes inevitably got frustrated with having us making a mess, and community space was unavailalbe to us becuase we were too small, and wern't commercial (if it was classes where people paid to attend we could have found space.)

I couldn't find a local craft store with enough seating space for 4-10 people, but if you do, I'm sure that would be your best bet.

Good luck,

del

Seriously consider the library. Most will have meeting rooms that are set apart from the reading areas. Generally, your group will have to be open to library patrons, but that never was a problem for the types of meetings I've held at libraries.

i host a meeting alternately at the cafe in a borders and at a cosi (a cafe/restaurant). i've never had a problem with the employees at either. i've also been to a starbucks. no problems there either.

Our new library even has two study areas, one for louder group study near the Young Adult section and a silent study area near the non-fiction.

Did anyone from the SSoL make it here after the split? I was always so jealous...

Thanks guys! I'm probably going to ask about the libary. There isn't a "starbucks" or "Borders" around me....closest would be Wilkes Barre which is about 35 miles from me and that's too much. There are knitting groups in Allentown I found out too...but I want something a little closer to me. It's still 30 miles to Allentown. It seems like whatever direction I go it's just too far. Jim Thorpe which is only about 6 miles away has some "artsy" areas that might let me do something in their place. I also forgot about the recreational centers but I don't know how much that costs either. I can't have stuff at my house because I have two very loud, very hipper golden retrivers. Keep the ideas coming!!!

oh yeah and-
    Any suggestions for a cool name? If I post posters in some "old lady areas" I don't want them to get offended, however....I want to get youngin's involved so I need something funny and hip. I thought in the stitch 'n bitch book she had one called "Chicks with Sticks". I kind of like that. I dunno...once again I need craftisas help!

i really like chicks with sticks. i wish i had thought that one up. :-)

We too need a better name for our group than the "crafty chicks" - but as our group do all sorts of crafts the naming issue is really tough ...

I like itchin' to be stitchin' for a knitting group ...

Grannies can be kind of fun. My grandma's friend is so energetic and hilarious. Plus they might bake for you! Just be clear at the start that you're not going to hold your tongue if you swear or what not, you never know if you might find an openminded widow who could be a lot of fun :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads