Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone remember Dip-it?

hi all from a new member!
    I love this forum!
    When i was a kid in the early 70's, we used to make wire things and dip them in this smelly plastic that came in a little paint tin- and the open areas would be filled with a transparent colored sheet of film that would dry hard like stained glass. We made flowers and jewelry and all kinds of pretty things. I imagine they stopped making it because it was probably pretty toxic... but does anyone else remember it? I'd love to find it again. I'm almost positive it was called "Dip-it".

help!!

2. # ADS

Welcome!!
    The only thing that I know that is called dip it is a kids' candy. Sorry!

oh yeah the candy 'lickmsticks is what I thought this topic was going to be about. I don't remember but my mom might. She still had a candle making kit from her childhood.
    You've got me thinking. Remember that colored goo you could roll into a ball put it at the end of a small straw and blow bubbles that just reeked off toxic nature. Those sure were fun.
    Good Luck on your search.

i seem to remember seeing things made with something like that but i was too young to be messing with that type of stuff then. can't you get that same effect with casting resin? and can it be tinted? i've been wanting to mess around with that stuff for a few years now but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

hmm...don't know about casting resin. is it crystal clear? does it have the viscosity to span a large wire loop (think soap bubbles only thicker)?
    this came in a pint size tin, so not sure it would have spanned a loop bigger than 2 inches wide.

There are UK sites that carry this product. Check out the following site and see if their "Dip-it" is what you remember. (Be sure and scroll down to the picture section; the jewelry looks very cool.)

http://1stforcrafts.com/products/200...ntasyfilm.html

I totally remember that Dip It stuff -- my mom made a bunch of flowers with that. Sarabell is just too young to remember. Looks like that stuff on that 1st for crafts site is the stuff. I'm sure it's pretty toxic smelling... but fun!

that's the stuff! thank you!!

TOSHA, THAT"S IT!!! thank you thank you !!
    Now that i have a name i can search here in US, wonder about finding it closer to home.
    OH I'm so excited to know it still gets made. Thank you so much for the link!

http://1stforcrafts.com/products/200...ntasyfilm.html[/quote]

too young...too old!

Quote Originally Posted by gingerandlulu
    I totally remember that Dip It stuff -- my mom made a bunch of flowers with that. Sarabell is just too young to remember. Looks like that stuff on that 1st for crafts site is the stuff. I'm sure it's pretty toxic smelling... but fun!

well, i guess i'm officially reaching that age where i have to admit there is a generation of grown women behind me. ah, me...as the youngest of four kids in the family, i've been able to hold on to it longer than most, i guess.

haha!

I just saw something completely similar to what you're talking about at Michael's the other day. It was in the kid's craft section, and it's called the "Pretty Petals" kit. Same thing tho, take wire, bend it into a petal shape, dip it into the goop, and once it's dry, it's a beautiful, glass-like, multi-colored petal to make a flower from. So, if you don't want to order it from the UK, it's right here in the US. I bet Hobby Lobby has it, too. Here's the link to the product at Michael's:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...028&channelid=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads