Seattle Area: I want to open a crafters "mini-mall"

Cross-posting from another board, but I want to get all possibly interested people. :)

I have this..ahem...brilliant idea that I'm all excited about. Here's the scoop:

I am poor. But I'm happy! However, at the rate I've been able to invest in my business, I'll never be able to afford a $2-3,000 a month rent for a store space. I was thinking that if about 4-20 people got together in the Seattle area to share a medium sized store space, the rent would be quite affordable. It would work similar to an antique mall, with the "booths"/shelves/presentations of each person being under their own control. The business owners of the spaces within the store could cover an open 9a-9p schedule easily, for those who are employed elsewhere and can't be at their spot in the store every day.

Am I imagining that this would work well? There would be lots of paperwork, and logging of sales, but it would be so worth it for those of us who want to badly to have our products in a store. It would allow for seasonal turnover (holiday based crafters). I don't know.

If there is any one who is up for at least looking into this idea with me, I'd love to hear from you.

2. # ADS

Sounds like a great idea, if I was there, I would happily take part in it.

I would totally be into this, but I'm not financially able to just yet. Perhaps this is something we could continue to talk about and organize? Just like opening your own retail store, it'll take some time...

I just noticed that the original post was made nearly a year ago. Is anyone still into this idea? I am!

It looks like the post was made today to me...

In small country towns across Australia there is usually a craft co-op run by the CWA (Country Women's Association). You might want to contact them and ask how they organise and adapt to your situation. (My partner's mother used to sell her knitwear there and from my understanding she recieved all the money from her sales in exchange for volunteer time in the shop.) http://www.cwaa.org.au/

Sorry for no responses all day! I've been doing research in between taking care of housework and kid-work. I'm so excited to TRY to do this. Thank you MelodyCrochet, I will try to contact them ASAP to see if they'd like to reveal their secret to success! :)

I'm sorry too about the date posted thing. I don't know why, but I thought I saw that it was posted in '04. DOH.

Resident Apparel Gallery - SF

Hi - If you get this off the ground, you might want to contact the Resident Apparel Gallery in SF -- I believe they do something similar and it's a great shop.

http://www.ragsf.com/

Re: Resident Apparel Gallery - SF

Quote Originally Posted by laurenh
    Hi - If you get this off the ground, you might want to contact the Resident Apparel Gallery in SF -- I believe they do something similar and it's a great shop.

http://www.ragsf.com/
    Thanks for the great reference. Loved the look of their store, and their vendor application has some really good ideas on how their pricing works. I like the system they have (charging rent by sliding tray or clothing rod), and that there are museum style bio's placed next to each designers wares. I also like that they have a variety of goods.

Did someone from this thread happen to email me? I got a msg from GetCrafty saying so but there are none in my inbox. Hmm...

Also, I have a general idea about the rent/lease costs for workspaces in the Seattle area, but since I never seriously considered a retail space I'm not familiar with such costs. Have any of you ever looked into retail rent costs in the Seattle area? This brings up another semi important question: What areas would you guys and gals be interested in opening a store? My guesses would be Capitol Hill, Belltown, Pioneer Square, Fremont, Ballard, and Georgetown. Any thoughts?

Cool.

Remove Ads

Ads