Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i'm not so sure about prices being the same in SF as a safe suburb! when i lived in SF almost 10 years ago, i paid 1300 for a shoebox-sized apartment that was significantly subsidized for students. in my experience, rents are definitely cheaper outside of cities and especially outside of the bay area proper. there are definitely less urban areas that are very desireable and have high property values (Sonoma say) but most of the time the more rural the area, the cheaper the rent. you should definitely be able to find something for less that $2000 a month for 3-4 people, just not in a really chi chi area.
    Sorry but I am confused... you think the area is the same price or not? Cheaper or more expensive? This paragraph seems to contradict itself... $2000 a month per person or all together? How many BR’s is that, cause frankly I would not share a bedroom no matter how BFF I was with someone.

I agree with sarahbell, in terms of any major expensive city:
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    it's really not that much of a problem finding a 2 bedroom for $2000 or less in a good part of the bay area - even san francisco. of course, there are good and bad areas around here, some right next to each other. it really just depends on where you're looking.
    Anyway, while I do not personally live in CA, 2 of my dearest friends do; their experience seems to mirror what a lot of folks are saying and aside from where to live the house hunting experience is the same anywhere. It always depends on:
    1. Where (city, country somewhere in between) how close to the city
    2. Cost of transportation to where you want to go (what is the point in saving 200 a month in rent when you are going to have to pay 300 for gas and other transportation?)
    3. what amenities you need (gym membership, cable, internet, laundry… adding 100-200 to your rent a month to have this included is worth it in most cases)
    4. how the place is managed (private, huge green blood sucker)
    5. geographic dreams (mountains, beaches, movie stars)

Before I moved into my apartment (granted I knew what neighborhood I wanted o live in) I looked at a few apartments in my neighborhood, the range was about 1200 – 2400 a month for a one bedroom apartment, based on the view. For the most parts places sell for about 275K for 700sq foot (without a view) up to 500K with. I hoofed it and found a place 700sqft with the most AMAZING view for 700 a month because it is privately owned and privately managed.
    The point is, if you can figure out what city you want to live in and have someone hoof it: do that to find the gem. If this is not an option find a place without a lease even if it means splurging or getting a place much smaller than you want and look. If you are not moving with jobs, figure out where you are going to work and then move. If you move to LA – live in Santa Monica… but that is just my preference because it is low key and super near the beach.
    Frankly though, if you are from NJ/Philly/NYC/”Right Coast” you might find yourself with other culture shock issues than you ever realized you might have when moving to the “Left Coast”: driving styles, speech, hobbies, interactions with strangers… etc.
    Take it from one who knows…

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by quornflour
    Frankly though, if you are from NJ/Philly/NYC/”Right Coast” you might find yourself with other culture shock issues than you ever realized you might have when moving to the “Left Coast”: driving styles, speech, hobbies, interactions with strangers… etc.
    Take it from one who knows…
    Off topic, maybe - but having never been to the "Right Coast", let alone lived there, and having grown up on the "Left Coast", but not anxious to move back to it, I would be curious to have your views/comparisons on the above-mentioned items. If you don't mind ;)

i can't really think of any way to make "in my experience, rents are definitely cheaper outside of cities and especially outside of the bay area proper" any clearer, but i did mean $2000 for a 3-4 bedroom place.

in my experience, people from back east tend to think Californians are slow and too mellow, and we tend to think they are pushy and always in a hurry.

that's why i mentioned that people i know from the east coast feel that the SF has the closest feel to the east coast the most out of all of of cali.

i know plenty of people that live a great life living off retail wages up in the city. two grand a month for two people's rent isn't hard to come by in the city or, really anywhere in the bay area.

i'm originally from the east coast myself. people have a stereotype that i'm from NYC since i'm from NY. but i'm really from rural NY. and why don't i don't have a new yawk accent? and the family i have back east thought that i'd, like be totally valley! oh my goth no.... they were in for quite the surprise back then.

i grew up in northwestern nj, near the delaware water gap, which is actually pretty rural, and not as in-your-face new jersey/new york that most people think of. i consider myself pretty adaptable, so im sure that i would be able to make do with the culture shock for a year...i think that culture shock is actually what im going for here...i definitely need to get away from nj, esp the new brunswick area where i went to school.

so we are looking into san diego/LA area, which i know is very different from northern CA. id love to see wine country, maybe even live there, but for now I have to compromise with my roomates who want to go where its warm all the time (im not opposed to sunny weather all that much)..

i want a job in environmental conservation, or ANYTHING to do with being outside / the environment. i have the impression that CA is generally more environmentally conscious than other areas of the country, and id like to see if thats true. portland OR has always been a dream of mine, but that might be more of a permanent move than what im going for now.

its scary to think of moving all the way out there with no real idea of what id be getting into, without seeing the apt first, or how do i go in for a job interview if im on the other coast?!

anyway, jetblue will have $99 one way tickets from JFK to San Fransisco, so im sure ill be taking advantage of that to scout around.

thanks for your input!! keep it coming!!!

CA IS more environmentally conscious than the rest of the nation, at least from a regulatory standpoint! our environmental regulations are frequently sort of "flagship" regs that the rest of the country ends up adopting. even then, most of our regulations are stricter than federal regs.

the California EPA has lots of environmental job opportunities. since it's a state agency, the application process is odd (you usually have to take a qualifying test that opens up certain jobs) but i know a lot of people who work for CalEPA and love it. their main office is in Sacramento, but i'm sure they have other offices in southern California. there are also environmental programs through all of the Universities of California that you could look at (as an employee, not a student).

if your roommates just want a warm climate near the beach, Santa Barbara is closer to the center of the state.

Hi there, I live near SF (east bay) and it is DEFINITELY cheaper to rent in the east bay than in SF. Check Craigslist to get an idea of rent prices for the areas you are considering moving to. Berkeley and Oakland are artsy, but there are nice parts and not-so-nice parts in both cities. Berkeley is generally more expensive than Oakland, and San Francisco (most areas, anyway) is more expensive than Berkeley.

I live in Orange County and pay rent of $1560 + insurance and utillities per month, So Cal is too expensive. I want to move but it''s so expensive we cant even save the money to move.

craigslist was def a help...east bay area (specifically mission beach) looks like where im having the most luck with reasonable prices and not-too-crappy looking apts/condos

meg: im sorry youre stuck! good luck getting out of there..could you move somewhere closeby so the moving wont cost too much, to a place with cheaper rent? maybe near san diego where it looks a little less expensive??

Mission Beach isn't in the Bay Area though, it's near San Diego. as far as i know, the only place referred to as the "Bay Area" in California is the SF Bay Area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads