Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

who lives in ca?

i live in nj now and my roomates and i are thinking of relocating to ca (we're 23 and in need of a major change)...

does anyone live in CA? if so where, and any comments on good/bad areas, etc? we're looking to rent for $2000 or under for around a year.

any help would be so appreciated!

2. # ADS

You might have more luck with this in craft-up so I am moving this...

CA is huuuge. There are several of us from Northern CA (San Francisco bay and north) and down in LA land too.

If you like geeks, Silicon Valley is nice, but expensive. (I couldn't afford it on my own without my geek to pay the rent.) There are many less expensive places as well, as anywhere. We have an amazing diversity of cultures and their foods as well. If you rent a house, many have fruit trees which is always a fun bonus.

I live in Sacramento, CA and I love it... there is so much to do... the beach is not to far for a day trip, and the mountains (Tahoe and Reno) are just the other way. This city gets nominated constantly for it's night life and single life. It's a great way for singles to live... it has a ton of young business professionals. I'm 30 and married now... now but man oh man were my 20's fun!
    And the rents are different depending on where you live. If you live downtown... you don't even need a car, and it's very alternative and fun... then there is the college part which is pricey and preppy... and then there's the suburbs! GOOD LUCK!
    Missy

from a NYC perspective, the bay area isn't that expensive, though! but yeah. it really depends on where in CA you're looking. there are far too many options. myself, i'm very partial to the bay area. i moved away for a while but now i'm back and don't have any plans or desire to leave it again. i'll move around it, but not away.

it's really not that much of a problem finding a 2 bedroom for $2000 or less in a good part of the bay area - even san francisco. of course, there are good and bad areas around here, some right next to each other. it really just depends on where you're looking.

friends i've had from NY have really liked san francisco and the san jose area to a somewhat lesser degree. they say it has the same vibe, energy - much more so than southern california, which i think is a completely different world!

I live in So Cal, but I've also lived in Northern California. I would much rather be in Northern California. I'm older now, but even if I were 23, I'd still want to be Northern Cal.

so i was thinking more about it, and another benefit of the SF bay area is you have so many different cities to choose from. once you're here, you're never far from a ton of options. there are so many different areas ranging from mountains, beaches, urban, suburban, and everything in between. each area has it's own character, flavor, culture.... i love it here. i live in a suburb i'm not so crazy about, but it has what i need and in 10 minutes, i'm in downtown san jose. 15 minutes the other way, palo alto or the mountains. 45 minutes to SF. 25 minutes to santa cruz. and after a couple years of living in the boonies and having to drive 20+ minutes to a hick town with a grocery store, 45 to a crappy craft store, i'll never again take for granted all the abundant conveniences and specialty shops and spots of every kind nearby.

it's a great central location and it only takes a couple few hours to get to so many other great places in the state. a cheap flight will get you anywhere along the west coast to boot.

in the bay area, i'd recommend looking into SF, downtown san jose, palo alto/mountain view, santa cruz/soquel/capitola. what kind of community are you looking for? jobs? schools? "scenes"? will you have a car or want to rely on public transportation?

first of all, thanks everyone for all the insight!!

sarabell: im looking for a younger, artsy scene...i love everything you mentioned, beach, mountains, city..so ill definitely look into the SF area...

id like to be in an apt or rental townhouse, suburbs are perfect as long as i feel safe... they would be cheaper than living in the city right? i have a car but would rather use public transportation...im looking for a job in environmental conservation/the sciences/education, but as long as i can find something that will pay the bills ill be happy.

-L

really, i think that you will probably find the same prices in any safe and good suburb as you would in SF itself.

public transportation is kind of limited from city to city. there's bart and caltrain to get in and out but most of the surrounding areas have pretty limited systems within.... the buses are pretty good in sf though.

if you have any questions or want to know anything else about the area, feel free to send me a PM!

i'm not so sure about prices being the same in SF as a safe suburb! when i lived in SF almost 10 years ago, i paid 1300 for a shoebox-sized apartment that was significantly subsidized for students. in my experience, rents are definitely cheaper outside of cities and especially outside of the bay area proper. there are definitely less urban areas that are very desireable and have high property values (Sonoma say) but most of the time the more rural the area, the cheaper the rent. you should definitely be able to find something for less that $2000 a month for 3-4 people, just not in a really chi chi area.

CA is way too big to make generalizations about good and bad areas. i'm from northern CA, and i think LA is a big stinky shithole, but i am aware that other people love it. if you are looking for any specific type of job, school, or climate i could give more recommendations.

i live in the central valley near Sac now and i pretty much hate it, but i am from a more coastal region where it doesn't get so damn hot and the air is cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads