Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So I'm starting to feel a bit better about the whole thing, particularly when I see photos of the area. So beautiful! And Pensacola's a college town, so there's a bit more hope there for finding left-minded individuals.

One thing I realized is that all the flashy money here is part of what drags me down. There is just such a huge divide between the have's & have-not's. And the have's are none too shy about showing it. I think no matter what, I will be happy to live in a place where every third car is *not* a Hummer.

2. # ADS

I am just outside of Pensacola

I love it here. We have alot of military,the gay community is HUGE,and there are several colleges in the area add that to the tourists and its fairly diverse here. Not as much as say California but we aren't deliverance country either. Theres a fair about of rednecks,but I think that there is a misconception about rednecks..the kind we have here anyway. They are hardworking folks and keep to their own. As long as you aren't in their business they don't worry much about other people. We have a very nice natural foods market called Ev'ermans,they do have a website but I couldn't find the URL. There are churches EVERYWHERE,alos alot of Pagans, UU churches ect so its an ecclectic mix. We homeschool,and I've met some very cool people through homeschool groups.. Alot of political activists, artists ect. Our downtown historical area is called Seville Square and there are alot of trendy shops,cafes and art galleries there. I have alot of tattoos and a nostril piercing,and a tongue ring and nobody has ever attempted to lynch me lol. I even to go a very conservative fundamentalist christian church and nobody there has ever mentioned my apperance. Come on down! Get in touch and I'll show you around.

I grew up in Florida, California and South Carolina so, sometimes, I get a little confused. But, if I remember correctly, the weather in Florida is pretty humid. Nothing like the wonderful open air in Cali but, not as oppresive as S.C. There are also thunderstorms and hurricanes. I always find it amusing to hear people from South Carolina say "I wouldn't want to live in California...all those earthquakes!" and completely overlook all of the equally frightening hurricanes on this coast! I don't know if the weather in Florida is very similar to California. The weather in California is what I really miss the most. The beaches are different, too, but at least you can swim in the Atlantic without freezing your tushie off.

You won't get a break from the disparity of wealthy/ poor, either. There is a LOT of that in the south. And, in this case, it goes back generations and generations.

People are really the same everywhere it's just the details that are different.

Good luck-Karla

hey! sorry this is so late... i've been a lurker on the boards and saw this and had to reply! hope you check it
    my name is liz and i live in gulf breeze, florida, it is about 20 minutes from navarre. navarre is known for a lot of lower class people and it isn't very developed. gulf breeze is better (in the sense that there aren't as many rednecks..) and is about 5 minutes away from pensacola beach (santa rosa island, like soapandwater said), IMO the best beach in florida. sadly our beach is turning into a destin or panama city (being slowly taken over by gigantic resort type hotels and cheesey tourist trap shops)
    pensacola is a great town (the East Hill section has awesome houses). there is an amazing coffee shop called End of the Line Cafe which has almost nightly shows with usualy good bands.
    you definetly will not get lynched for your looks in pensacola. gulf breeze is known to be home of really rude snobby people (although i've yet to meet that many) and navarre seems a little sheltered to that sort of thing. my friend, who has black hair with bright fire engine red bangs, and i went into a gas station in navarre and the girl working didn't even know there were that color of hair dyes. she insisted we colored it with paint or something.
    anyways, i hope this helped! sorry it's so late!
    liz

Florida... ah, where do I begin? Hot and steamy in the summer, it always rains at about 3 in the afternoon, and the winter is EXTREMLY short and mild-ish. Actually, my family is as we speak prepping for the incoming hurricane... joy. Personally, I do like FL (most of the time) but I'm partial to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermintsquare
    I fled Jacksonville, Florida...
    Me too!!!!
    me three! i just moved out of jacksonville about 5-6 months ago, and went to the safe, normal respite of NYC.

like someone else said, moving away from florida was the best thing i have ever done, EVER. i miss my family and friends, but i can always go back to visit (and get to come back home when i want!).

central florida (orlando) isn't too bad....i grew up there, and there are a lot of less conservative types there and there are a lot transplants from other areas, particularly the NE. if i had to live anywhere in florida again (i likely will not), it would probably be there. or gainesville.

i wouldn't wish NE florida on my worst enemy. BUT, it does have good thrift stores. :P

i haven't really been to the panhandle but from what i've heard it's pretty conservative, bible-belt, rural, backwoods, etc., just like NE florida.

north florida triumverate: football, military, church. that's it.

i'd advise against moving there...but hey, you might like it. to each his own. i'd definitely go visit for an extended period and really assess if it's what you can deal with.

and as far as changing the ways of things around there: good luck with that. it may work, but painfully slowly. jacksonvillians (for example) were/are notoriously apathetic about changing things and thus change is coming to them very slowly and with a lot of resistance. it wants to be a world-class city, but is held back by it's conservative nature.

another thing to consider: there's not a whole lot of things to do...less museums, less shopping, less nightlife. less like-minded people. there's a little bit of all that, but less than you'd find in cali, for sure. that was my experience. perhaps that doesn't really faze you...but i thought i'd throw it out there.

as far as money and showing off: that happens everywhere. period.

ugh, i could go on forever...sorry. :P the wounds are still fresh.

good luck,
    tricia

yeah, the only thing you can really do in my area (pensacola) is go to the beach. like i said we have a great cafe and our art museum is (slowly) coming up to par.. but other than that it is pretty limited

Hey, did you ever move out here? Lizzymahoney referred to someone calling Florida an armpit... that might've referred to me. I live in Destin. I will be moving out of here in two or three weeks. I'm going to do a happy dance with screaming when I do. But this isn't helping you, and so I'm moving on. Well, ok, one last bit of information - if you need culture, and that's culture that grows naturally, not "culture" that comes from some group of retired people and housewives with lots of time and money who decide to form a club (which is fine, just not if that's the ONLY option around), well, you might be unhappy here. Seaside has great theater in the summer, but that's only a few months. Otherwise... yes, wasteland.

Right, my reason for posting. Did you wind up moving? I ask because Navarre... yeah, kind of smushed. Were you there when that happened? Are you ok?

bee
    i live in deland fl. quiet little town 40 min.s aeway from orlando. 25mims. from daytona beach. lovely area storms aren't usually as powerful as the gulf side .this year was an exception. love it come on down

I was only to Florida once and it was in August, at Orlando. I got really sick from the heat (I'm fair complected, and it really is a pain in ass sometimes) I spent most of my time trying to keep cool. I'd probably move more north than south!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads