Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's Florida like?

Due to rising cost of living & the unmanageability of rent out here, the mister and I have decided to move to NW Florida at the end of the month. His mom & brother are out there and love it, but I wanted to see if any of you live there or have visited.

I know next-to-nothing about it, except that it's a helluva lot cheaper than SoCal with fairly similar weather. I'm a little nervous about a couple of things, namely how conservative it might be, and how isolated.

Anyone have any sage advice?

2. # ADS

Hmm, well, it's really conservative and really isolated. A glitter girl some time ago referred to Destin as the armpit of the universe or some such.

Cost of living is lower for sure, but so are salaries. And the difference is not always commensurate.

You'll have some issues with tourists and some issues with redneck types. There's a growing movement of environmentalists that kinda want to keep the old Florida style. Commendable, but not growth positive. At least there isn't as much rape of the land as there is in the rest of Florida.

My niece lives up there, husband's family is all there. She likes it, but she's got a good job and the family is well off. And she loves the beach and the heat.

It can get hit with severe weather. 'Canes hit the Gulf Coast at least once a year it seems, even if they are downgraded to tropical storms by then.

You are not going to find Bubble Tea or pet therapy there, and it's more traditionally southern than my part of Florida. With 'proper' ways to do things, like thank you cards and dinner parties and what not to wear to a picnic.

There was this little pretty beach called Santa Rosa, the sentimental beach of my childhood. I think it's brimming with hotels now, too, but I'm not sure. It was near Destin. So sad.

The beaches are beautiful. I'll never get over how beautiful the gulf looks. I couldn't even appreciate visiting the Pacific Ocean because I love the gulf.

Where do you plan on staying? Destin generates millions of dollars from tourists in the summer, so it's kind of irritating to deal with that. If you can stay in one of the smaller towns outside of the bigger cities, that might be more ideal. Or not. I don't know!

Throwing Muses once wrote a song about Florida called "Sinkhole". That was sweet...

I lived in Florida - NE Florida to be exact - for the majority of my life. Florida is conservative. NE Florida is Baptist and Navy. I believe NW Florida is also military. Pretty much all of North Florida is redneckville.

On a positive note, I find the west coast beaches beautiful - especially in winter. And depending on where you are in NW Florida, you could be within a reasonable drive time to Atlanta, which is a nice escape.

Not to discourage you, but my move OUT of Florida was the best thing I ever did for myself. Honestly it depends on what type of person you are and the things you enjoy. I love music, movies, and natural foods. For my tastes, Florida is not very eclectic.

With that said, I have family and friends in Florida who are quite content. Good luck in your decision.

(Wow, maybe I shouldn't have posted. I really have a lot of animosity towards Florida...)

Thanks ladies for the input...

Lower salaries are not really a concern as we're both freelancers with clients all over the country (well, all over the world for the mister).

I know we aren't going to have access to the kinds of things we have here on the Left Coast. I'm mostly prepared for it but very sad about leaving behind Trader Joe's.

The military thing scares the crap out of me. SD is a very military town but at least it's still California, so there's plenty of nice liberal commies like us to balance things out :)

And the redneck thing scares me, and the Baptist thing scares me. We both look fairly unconventional -- am I gonna get lynched if I go out in public with my facial piercings?

Our initial destination is Navarre, right on the Gulf (that's where the mother in law lives). But the plan is to take daytrips around the region to figure out where to settle. New Orleans is only 3 hours away, Atlanta's only 6 & Austin is 8 hours. Maybe we'll find one of those cities more to our liking.

Still nervous though. I have this overwhelming terror that we'll end up stuck in Deliverance-country...

Atomic, remember that you can help change things, if you ever get bored enough! Frankly, one of my family members is pretty liberal and manages there better than, oh say, here (Montgomery, Alabama). People are really cheerful/happy there becaues they all have nice tans and loads of money (depending on the neighborhood).

It wouldn't be that bad! I could live in a conservative state, despite how much I say that I couldn't, because it always makes me feel like I can Make a Difference, even if I probably can't. So, you can always have that going for you!

am I gonna get lynched if I go out in public with my facial piercings?
    No, of course not, but I wouldn't put it past redneck dufuses to make a comment. But then... that could probably happen anywhere.

I have never visited Navarre - it could be heaven.

It's funny that you mentioned Austin because that's where I moved to from Florida -- being my best decision ever. Rents are sorta high here (but better than they were 3 years ago when we first moved here) and my salary is actually lower here than it was in Florida (but I have switched careers). But I am happier overall. So I think it's worth it.

Bottom line - if it makes you happier, go for it! And good luck!

I fled Jacksonville, Florida when I was 17. It's a very different world down there; I hope that you guys like football. :)
    Don't worry too much, though. There are always communities of differently-minded folks, you just need to find them.

I fled Jacksonville, Florida...
    Me too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peppermintsquare
    I fled Jacksonville, Florida...
    Me too!!!!
    LOL. Congrats! :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads