Really stupid question!!

Ok so a rather silly question, but based on the fact that none of you can see me blush, i'm going to ask anyway............

I have been embroidering some items on my sewing machine, I physically sit there and move the fabric around, appliqué bit's and bob's etc

Obviously when you say hand embroidered people think you sat there with a needle and thread and did it all with no assistance from a machine, so I guess calling it hand embroidered is out

2. # ADS

Hmm...I think I would expect it to be done 100% by hand, but I'm not sure what the standard is.

I think it is a great question! To me, considering I do not know how to use a sewing machine, it seems more complicated to do it on a machine. HEHE I often wondered about that with quilts too. Some people make them on sewing machines but they are really handmade to me. It takes a lot of time to cut the squares out. It takes a lot of time to piece them together. To me, something that is not handmade would be something made in the factory which is mass produced. Of course I am not sure how other crafters think about this. I would love to hear what others have to say.

I think making them with your machine to assist you still qualifies as a handmade item.

I too think it should be done by hand only.

By hand means by hand to me. So using a machine or not, if you are still using your hands, it is still "hand made" if that makes sense.

Interestion question. I never thought about it

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EasyMeWorld View Post
    I think it is a great question! To me, considering I do not know how to use a sewing machine, it seems more complicated to do it on a machine. HEHE I often wondered about that with quilts too. Some people make them on sewing machines for kids but they are really handmade to me. It takes a lot of time to cut the squares out. It takes a lot of time to piece them together. To me, something that is not handmade would be something made in the factory which is mass produced. Of course I am not sure how other crafters think about this. I would love to hear what others have to say.
    Handmade could be anything made by hand, literally speaking. But if you tack artisanal onto it, it implies craftsmanship and quality, in my opinion.
    And I'd consider it to be handmade if its not mass produced really. So even if you do use a sewing machine, I think it's still handmade, since you need special skills to use it.
    Like how when people do custom commissions on plush dolls, that's still something THEY made themselves, one of a kind.
    Last edited by silentdove; 03-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads