Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

non-kids music for kids?

anybody have any cds that your kids like that are NOT kids music? i'm in need of some new tunes that they'll like. the only kids cd that i tolderate is dan zanes. i've so far avoided getting them anything else in that genre.

they really like B-52's and we have great dance sessions to them. they also LOVE pizzicato five, bjork, and the sugarcubes. and of course they might be giants (has anyone heard THEIR kids album? i'd be more likely to check that one out....) charlie parker, chili peppers, and primus are great for a rainy day spazz-out session. baby digs stevie wonder, the cure (kiss me kiss me kiss me) and the beatles but the toddler's definitely not a beatles man and isn't thrilled with the other two, either.

any suggestions? i haven't had my finger on the pulse of the new and hip for quite some time and i'm sure they would appreciate some new tunes, too....

2. # ADS

we really like laurie berkner but she's kid music. my kids like classical music (weirdos lol) so I can't help you.

When my kids were toddlers and preschoolers, we wore out the Barenaked Ladies. They had "If I had a $1,000,000" memorized to a T!

If I can get my iTunes recovered from backing up my computer before for the hard drive crashed, i'll post some playlists.

And while I know you didn't want kids music kids music, here are links to some CDs I love. I have two young teens and an 11 year old, but the still like this music (as long as I don't play it in front of their friends). The songs are by good non-kid artists like Guster, BNL, Sarah Mc., Sixpence NTR, Five for Fighting, Wilco, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...474361-7077438

Oh, and those CDs are available on iTunes, because that's how I found them while accidentally looking for something else!

:)

Have fun!

My 5-year-old's favorite band is The Clash. They're rockin', easy to sing along to, and carry social messages that spur conversation ("Mommy, why doesn't he have any supper tonight?")

She also likes the new U2, the new Green Day, Franz Ferdinand, and just about anything that she can play air guitar or air drums.

My favorite kids' CD (and hers) is the Singing Kettle, sing-along songs from Scotland. They're goofy kiddies' songs, most of whom you've probably heard, but for some reason (I suppose because they're Scottish), they're not at all annoying.

I always loved the Beatles when I was little. As well as show tunes.

And it's a lot of what I listen to nowadays, too.

One of my two and a half year old's favorite, or flavorite as she says, CD's is Elmopalooza. The other is a cheesy nursery song CD that has put her to bed since she was born and we can't go on long car rides without. I can't wait to be rid of that one. She thinks her Daddy's heavy metal CDs are a riot to dance to, but since she's starting to repeat EVERYTHING she hears, we don't let her listen to some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by anati
    I always loved the Beatles when I was little.
    Yes. The Beatles are great for kids, particularly "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus's Garden".

My nieces, who range in age from 2 to 7, like Blondie and Pat Benatar (the oldest one also LOVES Shania Twain - we're working on her). For what its worth, when I was little, my favorites were Abba and Peter, Paul, and Mary. Oh, and the soundtrack from Grease, which, once I was old enuogh to really understand the words, I was amazed my parents let me listen to ;).

Alison

My kids love the Shrek 2 soundtrack, and I admit that I like it too. They're also partial to Japanese rock and pop, but that's just from my influence.

i grew up listening to Bob Dylan, the Who, and the Rolling Stones. among other things. i have loved Tom Waits for as long as i can remember. i also liked Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon when i was a kid.

my parents never made a distinction between "kid" music and regular music. i think i had a record of silly kid songs (some kind of Raffi-ish deal) and some records of stories read aloud, but that was it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads