Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    at my house we compost food waste (except dog and cat food, which is the only meat around), reuse plastic bags for storage and cleaning the cat box, and save plastic food containers for storing food. i also mix dyes in old yogurt cups, but they have to be thrown out or recycled after that.

i might just be a dryer-sheet-hater because i'm horribly allergic to them, but if you're wanting to reduce waste, why use dryer sheets to begin with?

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i might just be a dryer-sheet-hater because i'm horribly allergic to them, but if you're wanting to reduce waste, why use dryer sheets to begin with?
    because we have well water and it smells horrible, and we can't use scented detergent because of the baby. so we use the dryer sheets for our clothes only, so that we don't smell like the nasty well water. it's bad enough taking a shower in the stuff.

plastic grocery bags--like many of you
    any wrapping paper (thats salvageable (sp?)), bows, gift bags, ribbons
    fronts of greeting cards that my family receives--makes great gift tags
    any glass jars that can be used for crafts of any kind
    I freeze lemon, orange, and lime rinds to later use in recipes (much easier to grate that way)

I save egg cartons. Where we used to live, they were styrofoam but around here, they're recycled paper. I've made "fire starters" by adding dryer lint and candle wax. And for Easter, my daughter and I made "tulips" by cutting out the cups and painting them and sticking chenille stems on the bottom.

I also save paper written on only one side, toilet paper tubes, yarn scraps and just about anything else that can be made into an art project.

I save grocery bags because I use a regular sized trash can because we seem to generate a lot of garbage, but my mother in law uses a small can and the grocery bags fit well. She's always running out.

I save most food containers especially for leftovers that stain like spaghetti sauce. Or if I'm giving something away so I don't have to worry about getting my stuff back.

First of all, I love the bread crust and citrus fruit freezing ideas.

I recycle my glass, plastic, and cans. I reuse all my plastic containers (butter, shampoo, etc) when I can for crafts or the kitchen. I save all my tin cans because they are great for organization and crafts/gifts. I also find tons of uses for my plastic bags, though I keep telling myself just to get a few cloth totes. Hey, at least they are always used more than once or recycled at the store. Ditto on the cloth to rags and ziploc bags ideas- everyone laughs at me for that one. And, though this isn't necessarily recycling, if I see something curbside that works it comes home with me for myself, a friend, or for the thrift store. Nearly all of my stuff is secondhand or junk day finds.

I'll also have to remember the baking soda tip, but I never seem to put a box in there in the first place.

I want to make a detergent lamp, but I have to wait until the boxed detergent is done. I also want to start making paper mache with the leftover paper, but I haven't done it forever and don't know what to mold/make!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    because we have well water and it smells horrible, and we can't use scented detergent because of the baby. so we use the dryer sheets for our clothes only, so that we don't smell like the nasty well water. it's bad enough taking a shower in the stuff.
    Stella -are you suggesting they use liquid fabric softener instead? That's what I do. I like it better because you can control how much you use (I generally use like 1/4 of the recommended amount) and you can recycle the bottle after. ALso, I find it distributes more evenly in the load of clothes than dryer sheets do.

What do I recycle?

plastic food containters - my freezer is full of these labelled "chicken soup" or "black bean chili" or "chick pea taco filling" :)

worn-out shirts - make rags for cleaning floors and bicycles. Any buttons get saved and go into the button jar. Fabric gets saved and one of these days I will use it for something cool (love the quilt above!)

all sorts of odds and ends for wrapping gifts ... I like my gifts to look original, so I try to decorate them with random stuff.

Hmm ... I know there's more but I can't think of it right now ...

quilt

yardenxanthe, your quilt is beautiful!

Re: quilt

Quote Originally Posted by teknomomma
    yardenxanthe, your quilt is beautiful!
    I was just about to say so too! I'm actually making a tufted quilt from our old blue jeans right now, too!

have you tried unscented bounce? i too am plagued with the allergic to EVERYTHING skin but have no problem with unscented bounce (and the babies never had any problem with the combination of that and the free & clear detergents). i have an old crown royal bag in the laundry room stuffed with used sheets that i toss in for extra softness and when the box of new sheets is empty, i use a few used sheets in each load. pretty much use them until they're just a wispy sheet of fine filament, free of any softener goo. then they're used for dusting. guess i'm just in the habit of using the sheets since it's usually really hard for me to find allergy-free liquid & when i do, it's always in the tiny bottles. not economically smart for me to get those when i'm doing 3-4 loads every other day.

yardenxanthe - that is definitely a very cool quilt.

xuli - i too have been working on an old jean quilt myself, but only sporadically since i'm sewing by hand!

composters: do you do anything special with the eggs and coffee grinds? we have a crazy amount of both here..... think of doing it every once in a while but not when i have a chance to look into it.

well, i was actually suggesting *not* using an extra laundry product, but that's just the kind of hippie i am. i am very allergic to fabric softener, even unscented, and i just don't feel like my laundry has to be chemically softened for me to wear it.

i use Trader Joe's or 7th Generation unscented, undyed laundry soap (although lately i've been using the All "free and clear" that my parents buy) and i have to rinse my clothes twice, but then i just hang them outside or throw them in the dryer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads