Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i feel for you. believe me, i do!
    wish i had a TJ's around here. live in the boonies myself, no TJ store closer than over an hour away. oh. and another reason i don't use the liquid is because this little hick town doesn't have recycling capabilities. i hoard cardboard for months. what isn't used i take to the nearby tribal center. everything else, i try to use as little as possible and reuse what i can.

2. # ADS

kudos to all of you! I am a big waste-oid I see now, I go thu stuff like you guys re-use allllll the damn time. The one thing I feel worst about is plastic ewater jugs. We drink a gallon or so of water a day, and throw away 8-10 of those jugs a week. Any ideas of what to do with these? The city won't recycle them, and I'm not hoarding 50-60 jugs in my tiny condo until I can drive them to Jersey to dump....

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyknitz
    kudos to all of you! I am a big waste-oid I see now, I go thu stuff like you guys re-use allllll the damn time. The one thing I feel worst about is plastic ewater jugs. We drink a gallon or so of water a day, and throw away 8-10 of those jugs a week. Any ideas of what to do with these? The city won't recycle them, and I'm not hoarding 50-60 jugs in my tiny condo until I can drive them to Jersey to dump....
    since so many places don't recycle (like here), i look at i this way: after some sort of cataclysimic event, the survivors and mutant people will be rummaging thru landfills for containers. will be nice for them to find some intact, right? (or did watching mad max repeatedly as a young child do me some damage?)

i am being a smartass

Funny, smartass... knock it off... I don't need another hero... LOL!!!

^ ^
    \__/

Save the plastic boxes berries come in from the store. They have holes in them, so I use them to organize ribbons in my craft drawers. Slide a pencil in the spindle holes of the ribbon rolls, and thread the ends thru the holes in the berry box! They help organize my craft drawers pretty well (zippers, elastics, seam binding and stuff work great).

I also save all my broken dishes for mosaic, this summer I'm going to have enough to do a table, I think, which will match my plates perfectly :) And I save the blue wine bottles b/c they go with my plates for mosaic or for flower vases.

I like the watering can idea. We actually have this giant thing of Tide that we refill from the refill style bottles, but then what do you do with those when you're done? Oh, and we're sailors so we take the bright colored laundry bottles to the lake as markers for anchors for racing or to tie your boat off to in our shallow launching area. kinda specialized use there.

AnnS.

i like that berry basket idea. always save them for a while, but can't figure out a use and they get tossed....

came up with a good one the other nite when i was washing dishes - my sponge lost its scrubbiness but was still good. had one of those plastic mesh bags from tomatoes or something, and slipped it over the sponge for extra scubbiness. thought maybe i'd do this with a ratty old towel piece inside so it can be washed & less germy after the sponge is shot....

i thought of this because i used to have this loosely-crocheted cotton drawsting bag for my soap slivers - was a good scrubby, too. now i save my soap slivers for travel soap since i'm allergic to everyone else's.

I am loving this thread! Here are my conrtibutions:

I also save dryer lint and egg cartons to make firestarters. We are camping people!

I save toilet paper and paper towel tubes to wind ribbon around. Sometimes you can fit several lengths on one tube and you don't have a million little spools floating around.

I don't use paper towels that much, I have TWO decorative towels that stay on my stove (even though I don't understand the concept of decorative dish towels! Wedding gift *shrug*). I have a million and one dish towels that I use for all of my spill and dish drying needs.

Old cookie sheets make great plant bases. And they also make great little magnet boards for kids when you travel. You can keep a toddler busy for a while in a car if you give them a cookie sheet and a bag of magnets! They could use it for leggos too.

I save bottle caps for making neat little wire/cap baskets.

Those tiny little gladware cups and babyfood jars keep my beading stuff organized.

My husband had too many teeshirts that were sentimental but falling apart so I made a ragged edge t-shirt quilt out of them and he loves it!

I save all cards (the fronts) and use them to make 'Happy Birthday' or 'Merry Christmas' streamers. I forget which magazine I saw that in...

I grate used orange, lemon and lime peels for the zest so I don't have to buy zest for a recipe. I just save them in old spice jars.

Clean film cannisters with a nut or something rattle-y inside keep my cats busy forever. I glue the cap on so they don't choke.

Same goes for empty soda bottles. I made a rattle for my little cousin out of a soda bottle and extra bulky beads I didn't need. She LOVED it. Favored it over her expensive boring quiet toys!

Yay on the plastic bags. They are used for litter bags, garbage bags (we haven't bought garbage bags in over a year!), and I send them with husband on his Jeep Dates (put that muddy shirt in there until it makes it to the wash!)

I'm a ziplock diva too.

Magazines are not safe when I weild a pair of scissors.

I repair clothes or use old ones as shop rags for the car/garage.

Any plastic/glass container goes to the garage for our loose screws and stuff or to my craft corner for various and sundry.

My husband saves boxes. LOTS of boxes. Half of our clutter is because of this. I'm hoping the kid will like playing with boxes so she can beat them up and he won't keep so many around.

We use any kind of junkmail (or anything with personal info that we don't need), beat up shipping boxes or loose paper as firestarter in our fireplace. In the warm months (all two of them) we take them to the recycling center. Thats how we can use little ol' shopping bags as trash bags!

That is all I can think of at the moment. I like this! getting lots of good ideas!

Jennjitsu

One more that I thought of... I often shred up junk mail in the paper shredder and use it as stuffing in my mailed packages.

I save water.
    I used to live in the wilderness, where all the water had to be carried a long way. So now, if there's water left in a glass from the night before, I pour it into a big plastic pitcher for plant-watering. Never run the tap while brushing teeth. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmatta
    I save water.
    When I was growing up in California there was a major drought going on and my parents used to keep two huge buckets in the shower to catch the water. My dad would use the water in the buckets to water the outside plants. Until I was 12 or so (when the drought ended) I thought it was totally normal to shower with buckets!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads