Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

thrift store finds

I started this message and then lost it. Darn.

I posted pictures about a find for my new house. I wanted wicker chairs for my large front porch but simply couldn't afford what I wanted. Instead, I found these chairs at a thrift store for $3 each. They had 5 of them. I will sand them, paint them white, then recover them with the fabric shown, which is an outdoor awning stripe I got at JoAnn's for 40% off. For $35, I will have nicely covered chairs that will last me at least a few seasons until I can afford what I want or come across a great deal on wicker!

I have more to share, but would also like to hear about your favorite or best recent yard sale/thirft store/flea market find!

2. # ADS

Re: thrift store finds

congrats!
    I found perfect tony lama cowboy boots for 1 $ - beautifull and comfortable, just looked them up on the net, they are sooo expensive!! hooray!

I have a lot of thrift store finds, but one of my favorites is an extremely comfortable yellow arm chair. You sit in it and the cushion just melts down into a nice pillowy nest. It must be down or something. Unfortunately I have to leave it behind when I move next month, so sad.

The Salvation Army near my home has 50% off sales daily for items with a specific tag color. I buy sweaters at half price (usually about $4.50) and unravel the wool. I've gotten some absolutely amazing stash that way, and it's earth-friendly!

I go to thrift stores to find the older romance novels and pulp mysteries. I use the covers for the images in quite a bit of my work. It's so great when you can get 4 books for $1.00!

ttp://www.girlsavage.com/

Sometimes I will drive an hour away to where I grew up (Gulfport, Mississippi), just to go thrifting. I tend to find better stuff over there because it hasn't been picked through by as many hipsters, etc. One thrift store there that I discovered a couple of months ago has the most amazing section called "Ladies Oldies" that has all of these great vintage dresses, mostly from the late 60s through 80s. I've become obsessed with these polyester dresses with an elastic waistband I've gotten there. I found a black one there the first time, and last time I grabbed a burgundy one that I still need to remove the shoulder pads from and a blue and white patterned dress of a similar style. I don't care that they don't really fit me, I just throw a belt (like this amazingly shaped white leather belt I got from the same store) over the waistband, add funky boots and go.

I'm actually going thrifting tomorrow, because one of the biggest thrift stores in New Orleans has their 1/2 price day on all clothes tomorrow, and I need to shop for supplies for the reconstructed clothing I make. Hopefully I'll find some good stuff!

I always look for weird old little kid tshirts. I wear thrift store tshirts more often than ones I buy at the store and they are obviously much cheaper.. but neat ones can be hard to find.

About a month ago, I found a shiny bright green little Christmas tree for $2 that looks just like one I saw at Urban Outfitters for who knows how much.

Hey Uproar, My mom lives in Pascagoula, MS---very close to Gulfport. I go to visit her a couple times a year & never even thought about tapping the town as a vintage resource. Actually one of my favorite T's I got handed off to me says Gulfport, MS. I will certainly check out the place more thoroughly the next time I'm down.

Having lived in multiple college towns, I know the heartache of hipster-picked-over thrift stores. But sometimes you get lucky. For example, I went to Austin this weekend and found the perfect tall black leather boots. I've been searching for these for years and actually paid 75 pounds for some that weren't nearly so good in London this winter. These I got for $14.99! They aren't scuffed up, fit well around the calf, the heel isn't too high or clunky, the toe isn't too pointy or too Frankenstein-ish. They are simply perfect.

I was driving to the office yesterday and practically caused an accident slowing down to see a faded red velvet small side chair someone had put out (okay, so not quite thrifting). I zoomed to my office, grabbed my business partner and went back to the chair. We love it! It's a bit worn, but we think with some cleaning and perhaps a seat cushion slipcover it's going to be great.

We bought an 1880 Victorian house for our office last fall, and it seriously needs cool decor - but money is tight (and excess cash is going to painters painting it back in Victorian colors). Next week the college kids move out where I live so we're going looking for a decent loveseat we can slipcover. They always put great stuff (and a lot of junk) at the curb.

AnnS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads