Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Where're the gardeners?

I'm sure some of you crafty folks like to get your hands muddy as well as covered in glue. I've been outside in my 'garden' this afternoon and wondered if anyone else on here has as much fun as I do sticking seeds in pots and watching them grow?

My garden this year is actually just a collection of containers on a windy veranda at the back of my house. I gave up my house with a garden in Bristol for this one by the seaside- no garden but a spare room to sew in. Now i'm sad about the fact I don't have the space I used to, but i'm also looking forward to seeing just what can be done with some plants in pots- i'm sure it's going to be frustrating- not having space for a compost bin is annoying me right now- all the scraps i'm throwing out which would normally get composted. I did just read about someone who made a really small bin for her compost- so i'm going to try and squeeze one in and see what happens.

I've never gardened like this before- i've had the odd plant in pots, and had a disaster with growing potatoes in a tub, but this is a first for me. Anyone else out there doing something similar?

2. # ADS

i had a garden like that when i lived in a rented townhouse, and even now i still grow out of containers a lot of the time... i found that i could grow pretty much anything in a container! tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, herbs... i pretty much tried it all. :)

This year I am trying:
    lettuce (so far so good)
    tomatoes (just coming up)
    courgettes (about to go into the tub)
    aubergene (just coming up)
    beans (looking good so far)
    strawberries (not looking very happy)
    squash (just coming up)
    herbs (all happy)

it'll be interesting to see how they all do!

i'm just starting to get into gardening now that i got the you grow girl book and am taking horticulture. i live with my parents so i'm sort of doing the same thing-- using half of the kitchen table as my green house. i just re did half of their gigantic back yard, though, so i'm hoping to plant a vegetable garden soon : )

I've been in the garden since Feb. My freesia fazed itself out, Veggies are great we made our first salad..tomatoes' not ready until summer! My strawberries are not doing well either! I did get alot of bromeliads that are gorgeous and gerber daisies! I love the garden it can be an addiction! I still have bamboo to plant sometime this week!

I've been in the garden since Feb. My freesia fazed itself out, Veggies are great we made our first salad..tomatoes' not ready until summer! My strawberries are not doing well either! I did get alot of bromeliads that are gorgeous and gerber daisies! I love the garden it can be an addiction! I still have bamboo to plant sometime this week!

Guys, I never had any luck with strawberries in pots! I've just moved them into the earth and they've gone beserk! They're now producing 3-4 times as many berries as they did in pots.

Tomatoes and lettuce seem to grow very well in pots, though. And herbs are excellent, and sometimes better, in pots - especially ones like mint which seems to take over any area where it isn't confined.

I love to garden. Yay!

Well, I attempt a garden every spring/summer. Generally I've just grown herbs in tiny pots. Last summer was especially a trial, since halfway through the growing season, my landlord decided to repaint the house. Paint got into everything. Ugh.

This year I'm helping my ex with setting up a garden in his new place. Still going to just be pots, as he's wary about eating anything out of the suspect Philly soil, but we're going to try to have cherry tomatoes, basil, carrots, cilantro, spring mix lettuce, and a few other herbs and flowers.

I get my ultimate digging in the dirt fix by volunteering at a nearby farm some weekends.

I posted some pictures of my garden over in the forums, but I thought i'd put one or two here as well- i'm hoping that I can document the evolution of my teeny tiny garden here!

pretty small huh?

I'm an apartment dweller with a sad little bamboo plant in my window. One day in the not so far future, however, I'm going to move into a more gardening-conducive environment.

Does anyone have any book suggestions for the beginner gardener, like myself?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads