Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hoo boy...I'll be joining you in that corner, Sarabell!
    My 3yo. is such a holy terror! Well...actually so is my 10yo.
    The older boy was always the happy-go-lucky kid....until he entered school. But that's another story and why I home school him! He's still a sweetheart, but has that pre-teen 'tude that makes you absolutely nuts.
    The younger one is a more cuddly sort of kid. But he's way more stubborn...and whiny. Oh! It drives me absolutely insane! He has speech therapy every week to help w/ his verbalization. But, you guessed it, he still resorts to whining about everything. ARGHHHHHH!!! Some days I'm more patient than others, and can offer helpful alternatives to whining. The other days I just about have a fit with him b/c I'm in no mood to deal.

2. # ADS

I got rid of the whining in my house. I simply told her I couldn't understand what she was saying when she whined, but if she would change her attitude, I might be able to hear her. She still whines occasionally, but I just remind her that it's hard to hear through the whine, and she usually asks very nicely.

As far as her babyhood went, she was so super easy. She slept all night early on, ate everything I gave her, hardly ever cried, napped during the day and was generally such a great baby. Then she hit two and the naps stopped, she fights me at bedtime, won't eat anything if she doesn't "feel like it," even if it was her "flavorite" yesterday and throws fits if she doesn't get her way. I think it peaked around 2 1/2, and now that she's almost three, it seems a little more under control as far as bedtime and throwing fits, but she's still so headstrong. She's never boring, though!

so it sounds like my little theory is kinda right. so ship them off to boarding school or keep myself heavily sedated until they are 21?!? for the most part, i can deal with the crazy toddler fits because in the long run, it's kind of amusing and hopefully almost over since he's at the cusp of "tweeniehood". it's just this screaming thing with baby girl. we were outside yesterday and her shriek was still deafening. we live in the freaking woods and my ears were still ready to bleed from it. wishing they had soundproof family chambers on airplanes! i can't think of ANYTHING to break her of it..... she's extremely headstrong. one serious taurus she is.

If its any consolation....to those of you contemplating a 3rd(if you are). My 3rd is my daughter and she is as sweet as can be. (usually) and has been always. Of course the snobby little new friends that she has worry me a little. Kinda of remeind me a little of that movie Mean Girls. Anyone seen it? Anyway the pre teen years are approaching so I hope she doesnt change too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    wishing they had soundproof family chambers on airplanes! i can't think of ANYTHING to break her of it....
    I can't either, but one thing you could do is buy an economy sized pack of earplugs for the flight. Just tell the flight attendant you have plenty to share if she gets any complaints. They see this every day and may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

And buy a drink or two for yourself and refuse to worry about what anyone else is thinking. In my experience, there's just no shutting a baby up if she's determined to be vocal (what are you supposed to do, put your hand over her mouth?)and Mom's anxiety just fuels it.

I hate to sound like a moo, but people should just go ahead and assume that they're going to be annoyed by someone else on a flight, and prepare themselves accordingly. It's unrealistic for anyone to expect a peaceful, relaxing time when trapped in a small space with 100 other people. Not that I'm condoning letting a child run wild all over the plane or anything. But where there is a child, there will be sounds.

neuroticdawg, you're making me feel much better. that's pretty much in the lines of how i was thinking, that basically it will just be everybody else's problem! but then all the anxiety started setting in... but hey, it will give people something to talk about when they're off the plane - becvause hey, i'm definitely one of those people that aren't ever happy unless i have something to bitch about.... and perhaps be some good mental birth control for others!

I didn't peek here until now - but for the bullying stuff, I read a great book called (something like) The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander - covers ground for parents of all three and also offers some ideas of how communities can work against this wretched problem.

The only boy who didn't tease me was the first one to publicly come out at my school. So maybe there is a tad of truth to the "they're just bad at flirting" myth. But I don't believe it.

Help!

Who is this kid? I swear he woke up the day after his 3rd birthday with totally different behaviors. He told my husband today he was, "too busy" to do something asked of him (pick up papers he knocked off coffee table). He's more whiny and willful. I'm having such a hard time adjusting. I guess I need to give him a little space but instead I'm just super annoyed with him and kind of sad. I miss my little snuggle buddy. We're trying to get in a lot of excercise for him and that helps a little but the carryover isn't lasting as long as it used to. I swear he was a kid that pretty much operated within the boundaries we set. He's a reasonable kid but man he's pushing it left and right. Even humor isn't working. I know I'm supposed to say that it's developmentally appropriate and isn't it great that he's discovering/testing boundaries for himself BUT I'm not feeling it. I didn't expect this so soon. Please tell me, you parents of older kids, that he'll come around soon. waaaaaaa, where's my BABY????????

Oh I feel for you Selah! My 3 yr. old has also been going through this thing where he initially refuses to acknowledge my folks when we see them. My older son went through the same thing. Problem is, my parents are both profoundly deaf, and it really sucks that I have to deal with this AGAIN with the lack of communications b/t my child and my parents! ARGGGGHHHHH!!!! My older son, who is now 10 1/2, finally came around a few years ago. He signs a little and will write notes with my folks. My tot is the one being a royal pain in the butt about it now. He is at least to a point where he will warm up to them after a while, which is more than I can say for my older son at that age. So I'm still hopeful! It's just incredibly frustrating. My parents hear the same things from their other deaf friends about their hearing grandchildren. I guess it's just the fact that the grandkids don't see the grandparents on a daily basis that makes it so difficult, and I'm sure I'm not the only parent who has a hard time squeezing in signing into everyday talk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads