Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Did it here until my 2 yo son was having some serious big boy poops- the dunking was awful. But the one thing that made us quit was the smell that stayed in the diapers. I did everything "they" say to do. We used fuzzi bunz and the smelled like a dead animal. Seriously. All he had to do was a tiny pee pee in them and it was horrible! At least we were able to resell them on ebay and make almost everything we paid. I gave it my best shot, though. I think everyone should at least try.

2. # ADS

I use cloth menstrual pads exclusively, and am a big fan of them, so I'm sure if/when I have kids I will do my best to use cloth diapers. The cloth pads feel so much nicer on my bottom compared to the plastic that I can only assume cloth diapers will feel better to babies as well. I have to admit, every time I use a cloth pad I get a really good personal feeling, like I am living my ideals and doing something good for me and for the environment ... anyone wants info about this feel free to pm me ...

Having never had kids, I also don't feel like I can really advocate for cloth diaper use, however ... BUT I was considering trying my hand at making cloth diapers at one point (If I ever get preggers I will definitely try to do this) and in my search I found this forum:

The Earthy Birthy Thought Swap

One of the forums is devoted to cloth diapering ... you could search for a lot of old info. Be warned ... it takes a long time for people to respond on those forums...

Other neat cloth diapering websites:

The Diaper Shop - you can buy specialized fabrics that wick away moisture for diapers, proper snaps, lots of neat stuff if you want to make your own. The FAQ also has neat calcualtions of the cost analysis of cloth versus disposeable.

The Diaper Hyena Cloth diapering resource site

The Frugal Baby Pattern free patterns for making nursing pads, menstural pads, prefold diapers, etc. Neat.

And because I can't resist:

Bloodsisters: How to Make your own reuseable pads This is my favourite pattern for making reuseable menstrual pads ... :)

good luck with whatever approach you decide works for you,

del

i like the idea of using cloth diapers when i eventually have kids, but poop is gross. It seems like you should have a separate washer/dryer for the diapers so the germs/smell doesn't get into everything else...right?

meow, I think that's where liners help - they're flushable so all teh poop sticks to that and goes away.

My hope is by the time I have my kid in five years I can still find a diaper service...

We cloth diaper my 5.5 month old daughter exclusively and I don't think it's a hassle at all! I personally don't think it's really any harder than using disposables. Of course, we're only dealing with breastfed poops right now, which aren't bad at all. Even still, I know we'll continue with cloth diapering for the long haul because it fits in with our belief system and our budget! My husband and I both found it easier to cloth diaper full-time than it was to do it part-time for some reason.

I sew a lot of Eliza's diapers, but lovelovelove SOS Diapers (Suzie's One Size). They're hemp fleece, SUPER absorbant, and best of all, fit from approx 8-35lbs, so they could conceivably last throughout your entire diapering run. They're pretty expensive ($15-20 used, $22-25 new...if you can get them, they literally sell out within 5 minutes of restocking), but considering they'll last for a really long time, it's worth it. Haha, I sound like I'm Suzie herself!

This is one of the best resources I've found on cloth diapering. Their Easy Wash system is how we do our washing.

http://www.punkinbutt.com/articles.asp

Washing isn't a big deal for us. Since Eliza's poops aren't too smelly yet, we just have them in a small, uncovered laundry basket in our room. When it gets full, we throw them in for a long, cold wash with just a drop of detergent (adding Bac-Out or tea tree oil would be great for disinfecting...we just don't have any right now). Then they get a long, hot wash with 1/2 the normal amount of detergent (again with the Bac-Out or TT oil). We use Allen's Naturally detergent as it's natural (duh) and easy on the diapers. Regular detergent is too harsh on cloth diapers and builds up, which leads to terrible smells and decreased absorbancy. Dry on hot (our dryer takes two runs) and we're done. The hot water and heat from the dryer work to sanitize the diapers. (The idea of having separate washers/dryers for diapers is hilarious to me. If a dog peed on your favorite jeans, would you throw them out? Washers and dryers are MADE to clean things, even bodily fluids!) The only thing that takes some thought is making sure that we have enough clean diapers to get us through the 2-3 hours it takes wash the dirty ones.

We still have a package or so of the Seventh Generation diapers we bought when Eliza was born (she was just a tiny bit too slender to fit into her cloth diaper smalls), but we hate using them. She gets diaper rash almost every time (you should see her butt after Pampers...it hurts just to look at!) and they're not nearly as absorbant as her SOSs. We have a wet bag that I keep in my diaper bag to stick her dirty diapers in when we're out, so it's just as easy to use cloth on outtings. It just takes up more room in the diaper bag, but I made own my diaper bag, so it's just the right size for everything.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. If you need anything made for you, like a bigger diaper bag, a wet bag, some cloth diapers themselves, let me know and I can whip something up for you.

Good luck! Don't get discouraged before you even start! It's not that hard, it's better for your baby and the environment, and besides, with all the supercute cloth diapers out there, disposables look just plain boring!!

Leila
    ps...here are some pictures of Eliza throughout the months in her cloth diapers! I only made the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, so I can't take credit for them all! I added a picture of my diaper bag fully loaded, also (excuse the bag itself, I took that picture right after I made it and hadn't even clipped the stray threads!).

Oh my goodness! Nappies as fashion statement - I love it! Eliza is so beautiful.

That pouty face is so precious! And I love the name Eliza Jane. It's on my short list.

Your diapers (and the bag) look awesome - thanks for the info and expert advice!

Cloth diapers are a crafty mama's dream!

I was shy to try cloth for the first 4 months. We were moving, and those first months of lots of breast poo seemed daunting. Here's the deal, once you have your system, you won't have to deal with the guilt of looking at the plastic and gel you are exposing the world to. Sure, we buy diposables, but once every 2 months, for daycare only. (WI doesn't allow it in licensed daycare homes). People try to rationalize that cloth has it's toll on water resources, but frankly, I do one load of diapers every 3-4 days, with an extra rinse cycle to start, and a double dryer cycle (but I look forward to having a great clothesline on pulleys off my deck to get em sparkly white this summer). I was most worried about hubby buy-in, and that I would be alone in my enthusiasm. Luckily he got to chat with a cloth diapering dad and got the thumbs up. We all need that.
    My tips--I use chinese trifolds and $5-9 bummi whisper wraps and some a local gal made in super cool prints, same price! (I have 8 covers/wraps) For a liner/moisture barrier, I cut 4 by 10-12 in rectangles of polar fleece and lay them over the trifold. The squirmier she gets, the more I set things up before I change her. #1's go into a small closed diaper pail (I got a cool steel feed pail with a lid from the farm store), lined with a plastic shopping bag. #2's get flipped off the liner, and the diaper itself usually can go into the #1's pail. Anything pooey gets pushed down a bucket of water using a rubber glove kept handy--i used to add 1/2 scoop oxiclean, but I've started skipping it and haven't missed it. Before I put the poo bucket load into the wash, I strain off the extra water into the toilet and use that glove again to scoop them into the laundry. Now that she eats solids, those poos are much easier to manage! I wash using half of capful of Sport Wash (b/c front loaders use less soap). You get it in the hunting section at Wal-Mart-used to take hunting scents off of hunter's gear, one large bottle lasted me 5 months for $7.
    My recent big shift was moving her diapering station right into the laundry room off the bathroom. The countertop was just taken up by stacks of towels anyways! Then, I took a string and laced it thru some darling lady bug clothespins and there I dry her diaper wraps! (either straight off her buttum or from the washer--it helps the wrap last longer). Now we aren't hauling pails and her days dirty laundry around, and she gets to learn that pottying and diaper changes are related, too. I've also found that kiddos that use cloth potty train sooner--they get more of the wetness connection, especially if you start to take away the polar fleece liner. Phew! I've wanted to post this, but couldn't do this response one-handed while nursing!! Sorry so long, but I hope it helps!

hi Bitsy,

can you explain the polar fleece again? Is it next to the skin? I didn't get that part ...

Thanks!

del

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads