Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Diaper Debate

I've pretty much decided that we are going to give cloth diapering a shot. I plan on using strictly cloth diapers at home and save the disposables for outings where I'd otherwise have to haul stinky ones around with us. We are fully aware of and preparing for financial spikes when Mia decides to get her little self born, and anyway we can soften the money blow is going to be tried!

So, have any of you moms (or dads!) used cloth diapers? What did you think of them, honestly? What was your most effective "routine"; did you keep a pail in the nursery, soak them in the toilet or what?

Also, I've *heard* that cloth diapers make babies more prone to diaper rash, any thoughts? I would just go with the disposable organic biodegradable diapers, but we just cannot afford those, especially up here in Alaska. I'd have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Thanks! Expect more baby related posts, I'm getting into the nesting and advice hoarding part of the pregnancy!

Jennjitsu

2. # ADS

I've thought about cloth diapers too, but since we are doing daycare at least part of the week, I wonder if they allow it. I have heard they usually won't. I should probably check with the place we are using to find out....not sure if you would run into this at all...

I did cloth diapers for awhile -- but it honestly was just too much of a production to do part time -- it's really all or nothing, considering the amount of work that you have to do. I hate contributing to the landfill with them, but the ones at whole foods are just too expensive.

Anyway, my daughter went through a period of time (6 months old or so) where she would leak through any diaper overnight, so I got these mega-absorbent hemp diapers, and they were great for super-absorbency, but man, did she have a big butt! Every night we would crack up because her bigga-butt was so dang huge! PLUS, it was hard for her to sleep on her back. (I'm talking huge heiny here...) I went with cotton ones for the day, (not so bulky!) but all in all it just became too much of an ordeal.

Anyway, I admire people who can do it, it was just too much for me to add to my day.
    (Which reminds me, I want to sell my stuff on ebay...)
    Good luck!

diaper dilemma

I did cloth for a few unruly weeks when I had my first. I think the all or nothing is true. Kept the pail with vinegar water for the # 1's and tried to deal with the poopies right away with bleach in the washer. I trhink it was too labor intensive. And the environmental cost with cloth is high, too. Hot water, bleach, and extra electricity. Landfills we can deal with...lack of water, not so much.

Regardless of whether you go cloth or paper, use liners and always flush the poo - it's not supposed to go into landfills. Even making that change can do wonders for the environment - though cloth is definitely better.

This may not be so practical in Alaska, but you can also go diaper-free (after a few months) where you just catch the pee in the sink - they tend to go a certain time after feedings. It's very common in the 3rd world, toddlers in China have crotchless pants so they can squat and go whenever they need it. http://www.natural-wisdom.com/index.htm looks to be a good site. I still haven't had children yet, but when I do I'll definitely consider that.

I do a half-assed cloth/disposable combo (with both kids..well, the oldest is now pottying on her own) with disposables being used at night and when we go out for more than an hour or so.

what I tend to do is just throw peed diapers in the washer (I just throw in the amount of soap I would for a small load and fill it up for such and leave them to soak...the lazy version of a diaper pail), and rinse the crapped on ones in the toilet first, before I chuck them in....no bleach (apparently that reduces the absorbency) and I line dry 95% of the time...I maybe wash a load every other day or so...and I am far too lazy to wash ONLY diapers...anything else that's white in this house goes in with the diapers as well....and that's what works for me.

i haven't diapered a baby since i babysat when i was 14, but here's my personal diaper experience...

i was horribly allergic to disposable diapers as a baby. my parents put them on me a couple of times when they had to take me on an airplane or whatever, and every time i got horrible, painful diaper rash. i am, as an adult, allergic to latex, perfumes, and plenty of other things, so i'm sure i was a sensitive baby, but my sister also got diaper rash from disposable diapers and she doesn't have any skin allergies as an adult.

disposable diapers are just so incredibly bad for the environment, i plan to make the effort to use cloth diapers when i have kids. when my sister was a baby, we would just flush the poop down the toilet and wash the diapers in the washing machine. i remember having diapers in with the regular laundry as well as all-diaper loads.

Wow. I got a lot of great insight! Thanks! I think I'll still give it a whirl, but I might end up being kind of half assed about it myself! Hey, every little bit helps, yes? Seeing as I don't have a normal part-time job (I teach dance two nights a week, hardly an excuse!) I will have the time to do the soaking and washing, but I don't want to make it my LIFE!

Thanks again!

Jennjitsu

We exclusively cloth diapered 2 girls, and it went great! I did a number of different methods over the years, including ways to manage while off the grid with low water, but I always rinsed the pee diapers once at least before throwing them in the washer (when I had one.) If you are in the country, hang the diapers in the sun. This deodorizes them nicely, plus it bleaches them.
    I didn't notice much diaper rash, but, then again, my kids were w/o diapers for blocks of time during the day. (I think the rash that we did see was from using plastic pants.) There is, of course, leakage, but we double diapered at night to minimize. It's also a good idea to get some rubberized flannel for the baby's sleeping spot. You can find it squares sometimes. To preserve mattress.
    We used plastic pants, premade velcro covers, and homemade wool covers. The wool breathes and keeps the chance of rash down.
    Cloth is an extra hassle, obviously, but so worth the trouble!
    budget tip: If you have more time than money, you can fabricate your own diapers out of old cotton. Or contact a diaper service about buying their less-than-perfect-but-still-perfectly-useable diapers.

do you sew? I saw this somewhere else awhile back, but can't remember where I originally found the link....

http://www.fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads