Keep my Petunias alive!

I've always had bad luck with living plants and flowers. Every year I fret spending money on them because they keep dying and everyone always keeps telling me "get petunias, you cannot kill them". Well yeah, I can and I do --- every single year. Either I don't water them or I water them too much. I cannot win!

Even knowing I am a murderess of flowers and broke, I wanted hanging baskets for my new home's front porch. I bought 4 baskets of wave petunias from Lowe's yesterday. They look very healthy right now, so I have a good start. How do I keep them this way????

I see flowing baskets all summer long so everybody must know something I don't.
    :(

2. # ADS

I can't help much because I'm a total plant killer, too. All I want to suggest is that you keep track of how much you feed/water the plants and how often and if they look too dry, then bump it up, but if they look overwatered, check your records and cut back. You should be able to find a happy medium there. Good luck!

I find that if they're on the front porch, it's a good step, because you can see them to remind yourself. My mom usually uses weight to gauge when her hanging baskets need to be watered, instead of a set schedule - that way you don't water when rain's already done the job, or water a little extra when it's been super dry & hot. Just lift up the basket a bit.

Another thing to try is sticking a chopstick down into the soil. When you pull it out, there will be just a little bit of dirt sticking to where it's still wet. I wouldn't water if it's moist to nearly the topsoil, but maybe when it gets around halfway?

I don't think I've ever done petunias, myself. I wish you luck, though! :o)

I think the only sure fire way is to check every single day- and if it's really hot, or really windy then sometimes more than once a day. Because hanging baskets don't hold much soil they can dry out so quickly- also if they don't have proper drainage they can get waterlogged equally as quickly. Make sure the drainage is good, and make sure you check them every day! There's a bunch of things you can buy that let you know when plants need watering but I find sticking a finger in the soil works pretty well! It can look really dry on the surface but be fine underneath- and make sure when you do water that you soak the plants- if you just get the surface of the soil wet then it encourages the roots to head upwards, which is not a good idea! Other things to think about include, making sure you deadhead the flowers as soon as they are past their best and feeding with a water based plant food that's developed for flowers.
    Good luck!

nice thread!

Remove Ads

Ads