Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving money..

Saving money..

I recently got my cars brakes fixed at an automotive school, the instructor checks all work... I also get may hair cut and colored at a school.. very time consuming, but when you consider the cost as dollars per hour of pampering it is miniscule.. A great treat.
    Any one out there with new-creative ways to save money?

2. # ADS

A few weekends back I spent my Saturday night with three other people playing bridge in a diner. We each paid for coffee or some small food item and then spent almost three hours on bridge. It was a great (almost free) way to spend the evening.

if there is a culinary school in your town, they probably have a restaurant. eat there, trust me. the food is FANTASTIC!!! top notch. and usually, nothing will be over $10. yes, you might consider that a bit much for an entree, but when you consider the quality of the food you are getting, it's pennies! plus, the design students work on the restaurant part so the atmosphere is nice as well.
    the one here is great because i can ride the train there (it's just a short walk from the station) so i'm saving on gas as well!

NAP
    I get massages at the school. They are only $25 for a full hour and the students are so attentive. They pay close attention to what they are doing and I've had a few that were better than professional massages.

Here is what I do to save money:

Cut my own hair.
    Get books from the library instead of buy them.
    Make my own gifts
    Pluck my own eyebrows.
    Make my natural own laundry powder.

Natural laundry products are expensive when buying them in the store. You save money by making it yourself. I posted a recipe for it here:

http://livingnaturally.blogspot.com/...er-recipe.html

For mother's day, I made melt n' pour soap, banana bread, and a beautiful homemade rose lotion. The recipes for these are also at my blog.

I get most books from the library except the ones I want to keep to read again or just to have - it's my only real obsession.

I always try to get movies at the library too. I love going to the theater to see them, but not if it's just an "eh" movie. If you wait too long though, the DVDs are so scratched they won't play. Either that or I wait for 99cent day at the rental place.

Coupons for groceries - but only for stuff I want and normally buy.

Make gifts.

I wear clothes until they're worn out - I hardly ever buy clothes, don't like them much anyway. If I knew how to sew I might do that.

My husband likes really cold water - so he always wants to buy cases of bottled water. I like the taste of our tap water better actually, so we buy a case every few months and then re-use the bottles until they've all been lost. I re-fill them and put them back in the refrigerator so they'll get cold enough for him. :)

i try to pack my lunches and breakfasts for school. i can easily spend $8 or more in a day just for a quick lunch and afternoon snack. if i'm also buying coffee, it really adds up.

i'm not a morning person, so if i really want to pack my lunch, i do it the night before. i also try to make sure i have something quick for breakfast like yogurt or a banana. i buy Odwalla bars for breakfast, and they're usually $1.25 each, but that's cheaper than getting coffee and a pastry at a coffee shop when i make my own coffee.

If you're like me and love to add different plants and flowers to your yards and gardens every year, do what I do
    Instead of buying new ones, I trade off with just about everybody!! I give out lots of starters of the plants that I have in exchange for starters that others have. It gives me a huge colorful variety for free.

I cut my own hair
    Do my own manicures, pedicures
    and brows
    Cook at home
    Only eat out once a month
    Don't go to bars, have friends bring
    over different alcohol and mixers,
    way more fun!
    Buy as much stuff in bulk as
    possible, it's amazing how much
    you can save on tp and daily
    neccesities that way

Another bit of advice that may sound odd is that I don't use coupons! I find that coupons caused me to buy things I wouldn't normally buy. Our diet is very simple and I am an avid chef so I basically start everything from scratch... I make my own soups, broths, etc. Coupons increased the chance that I would purchase processed foods, which cost a lot more than in season produce, rice, beans, and pasta, which is what I usually purchase.

Check out this site if you haven't seen it yet:

www.stretcher.com.

Also, plan your own travel. We end up paying A LOT more when we have an agent or service do it for us. (Paying others doesn't even necessarily mean you are getting higher quality. For certain things, word of mouth is much better).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads