homemade baby jewelry

anyone have any suggestions about crafting baby jewelry?
    i'm not particular about the type of jewelry but i want to make some things for my 5-month-old son and i'm sure there's some mom out there that's crafted something for their little one. any insight would rock...
    thanks!

(jude wants to rock a bitchin' bracelet!)

2. # ADS

I'm sure you already thought about this but I'm going to be a 'Worrying Wendy' here for a minute and say to make sure whatever you make doesn't have parts that he can chew off and choke on. Know what I mean?

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...;threadid=2030

I made my son a vintage rocket and robot bracelet using this tutorial on Craftster. Instead of a snap I used some velcro, back to the choking concern.

Good luck and let's see what you make!

I used to work for a jewelry designer and we all sorts of foo-foo charm bracelets for tiny girls, but none for guys! I would suggest you go to the craft store/bead store and find a simple length of chain. It must be smaller than you would want for yourself, as his wrist is teeny. There's one that's called a "fishhook" -- no real hooks! -- that is a little more masculine. Take a look at your hubby's jewelry, or look in shop jewelry shops, find something you think would work -- I don't know what you're looking for designwise -- and then duplicate it real little! (that's dumb advice isn't it? lol! )

For a baby that age I'd go with a wrist cuff with a velcro fastener. Maybe out of some of that inch wide, patterned ribbon that's sold by the yard. I've seen all kinds of cool patterns that would work for a boy, boats, sports themes, frogs & the like.

Hmmm... now that I've got the idea in my head, I might cruise on over to the fabric store tomorrow and get some stuff to make some for me & mine.

jude already has a little beaded bracelet with a femo penguin in the center that he wears often but i wanted to add a little variety to his collection. the bracelet was made with the semi-stretchy clear twiney stuff (clearly, i have no idea what it is!) and the girl that made it burnt the ends together with some sort of baby-jewelry-makin' contraption so it can't come apart -- unless he chews through it but luckily the little dude has yet to srout teeth. i wan't to make some sort of of cuff hippy style but i don't know what kind of materials would be best considering it'll surely end up in his mouth...

bad things happen with that stretchy string & babies. i've made beaded bracelets with them for people and seen babies pull them so much that the string breaks - and not at the super solid knot, either! even if you do small enough beads that they wouldn't choke on, it's a lot of work for something that will surely not last long. my son who's 2 1/2 was wanting jewelry a few months ago so i made him one of those 'V' friendship bracelets with yarn in bold colors and made it so he can slip it on and off at his leisure.

macrame baby! it's fun, and you can opt not to use beads.

a tooled leather cuff? or bead on a loom and mount it (very well) on leather.

Remove Ads

Ads