Thread: Dryer Lint?

Dryer Lint?

Oh man, I was recently reading how dryer lint can catch fire. I saw the pictures of a dryer lint fire aftermath extravaganza, too, and it's not the party I want to partake in.

My husband said that recently, a lot of times when he pulls the lint catcher out, all of the lint has already fallen off. Besides being alarming for safety reasons, he really gets bummed about this because he *luffs* to gather all the greyish pink lint into a ball.

Ever since he's told me this, I've been paranoid. Well, I peeped into the slot that the lint catcher locks down into and it is as FUZZY as a baby bunny. We also noticed OUTSIDE that there are big, wayward lint-creatures IN OUR YARD! (Blown out of the vent! It's crazy!)

SO, my big idea was to take our shopvac and try to suction out all of the lint I could reach, but the nozzle only fit in about 3 inches.

Anyone have any good ideas for cleaning out your dryer vent lint?

2. # ADS

i use the shop vac as well. you can get these teeny tiny attachements - they are supposed to be used to cleaned computer keyboards or you car or something - I use those. mostly, i just try to remember to clean it every time. man, now i'm worried too!

on another note, for some reason, everytime i wad up the lint, i think about spinning it into yarn. not that i can spin worth a hoot, but it's funny to think about making yarn out of the lint from your clothes. like recycling. well, at least to me.

Oh Miss M that would be AWESOME! I would be interested in seeing what could be done!

I just did a google search and it looks like it's common to make paper from lint and one woman makes SCULPTURE! I haven't run across anyone spinning it into yarn yet!

I have a friend who makes paper from drier lint - I would have an asthma attack on the spot so I pass on lint crafts!

After every other load or so I take out the lint catcher and use the spent drier static sheet to run inside the machine to catch any lint that may be building up. It's always shocking what can build up. I also vacuum it out periodically.

dryer lint

Here's probably the strangest way to clean dryer lint out of the dryer. I have the kind that you pull up a screen at the inside bottom of the dryer door. At one point I could see that there was a lot of lint down there, my vacuum wouldn't reach so I went loking for something to get the lint with. What I came up with was a piece of trim from a 65 impala. I know it's wierd but it worked wonderfully, basically a skinny stick with a nail or two through it would work just as well, the stick reaches way down there and the nail caught the "bunnies" and I could pull them out. I imagine after that you could tape a bottle brush or someting similar but stiffer to a stick and get the small bits of lint.

One other thing, if the hose that goes to the outside vent has a kink in it, it will catch a lot of lint there and cause it to back up to the dryer. It should be cleaned once in a while as well. As for the lint in the yard, it's ugly but better there than in the hose or internal part of the dryer. I think the squirrels use it for nests anyway.

Happy Laundry Day!
    Vanessa

Remove Ads

Ads