Oven Cleaning???

I have heard people talk (from time to time) about cleaning their ovens and I nod my head like, oh yes what a pain, but the truth is I have never cleaned an oven and it's never even occured to me to do so. I still wouldn't attempt it but something??? spilled in our oven and it's a regular 80's rock video in here now whenever it's turned on. Thank god for the toaster oven.

A little more information about me and my oven: It's a genuine avacado green ancient model that came with the rental. So I don't care about it other than I'd like to get rid of all the smoke. I try and avoid harsh chemicals in general but mostly because it can trigger my son's asthma so any natural methods would be appreciated. Lastly, I'm a lazy a** cleaner so simple and quick is good! :)

2. # ADS

You can make a paste of baking soda and water and basically paint the inside of your oven thickly... let dry and then scrub with steel wool. It still requires a bit of elbow grease. (Adding vinegar might help boost it too, plus it makes it fun and bubbly!)

Once I had the "brilliant" idea of putting a bowl of vinegar in there and turning on the oven... well... it made the grunge inside easy to wipe off, but the WHOLE house smelled like pickles. It was a tad overpowering. Mind you, I LOVE vinegar, and it was a bit too much for me. So only try if you have great ventilation.

Thanks gingerandlulu for the tips, I'll probably pass on the pickling of the house for now! I'll try the paste. I forgot to mention that it's an electric stove. Should I be careful not to get stuff on the tubes and bits on the bottom?

i've always been in the school that you just let it burn until it's gone. until we were staying with a bachelor relative whom had THE smokiest, nastiest oven that turned the entire house into that 80's rock video! i broke down and bought some of that scary oven cleaner and was surprised that it really wasn't that noxious and went a lot more smoothly than i thought it would. otherwise, i am definitely a user of the baking soda and vinegar throughout the rest of the house, rarely succumbing to the use of other convenience cleansers that rarely work any better than what i use.

but i'm thinking, if you go with my lovely sister's baking soda idea, how about trying a bowl of water heating in the oven instead of the vinegar? it's really the moisture that you need to loosen it up - - it's how i clean my microwave & sanitize sippy cups at the same time. then you can have the science project fun with vinegar during the wipe up stage.

Remove Ads

Ads