Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ant problem!

Re: Ant problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Knits4Fun
    This is just a tad embarrassing: we have ants in the house. ....... Would planting massive amts. of mint around the house help?
    haven't heard of mint keeping ants away. does it? i've heard putting peppermint oil on strategially-located cotton balls is supposed to keep mice at bay. tried it once when we first moved in. the house - located in the woods - had been empty for some time and there were a few established mice about that the cat had yet to catch. don't know if it helped with the mice or just made me feel better about the whole thing - major rodent-phobe here. but it DID do a great job keeping my husband from snoring!

i wouldn't be embarassed about ants, bugs, or even a little mouse problem. the cleanest houses have their share of pests. i'd only be embarassed if they were coming in due to major piles of food all over the place! nature is going to do what it does best and thrive wherever it can. look at just about any crack in the pavement - there's sure to be a weed growing there.

2. # ADS

Re: Ant problem!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    haven't heard of mint keeping ants away. does it?
    i wouldn't be embarassed about ants, bugs, or even a little mouse problem. the cleanest houses have their share of pests. i'd only be embarassed if they were coming in due to major piles of food all over the place! nature is going to do what it does best and thrive wherever it can. look at just about any crack in the pavement - there's sure to be a weed growing there.
    I've heard that mint is supposed to work, I've tried the 'mint flake' kind you get in the spice section. Sprinkled it around, but it didn't work for me. I'm trying to plant some by the house and I heard that it is very hardy and multiplies, so I'm trying that--I don't have a lot of it right now, though.

My husband bought some Ortho pest killer stuff that he's going to sprinkle around the lawn--their nest must be somewhere out there in the ground, but I can't find it. I hate to use chemicals and stuff like that, but it's come to that. These little guys are just annoying if anything else.

Like you said, I clean, clean, clean--there's no food where they're coming in, and yet still, they march right on in--ugh. I can't wait for 'ant season' to be over.

MrsM--I'll also try the borox/water combo too, thanks.

Our local home improvement radio show has suggested for years that a mixture of borax, powdered sugar and baking yeast (all with equal measurements) works well against ants. I tried it years ago and it worked great but was messy. This year we got "ant traps" at the hardware store, and they have been less messy but just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by webiedesign
    Our local home improvement radio show has suggested for years that a mixture of borax, powdered sugar and baking yeast (all with equal measurements) works well against ants. I tried it years ago and it worked great but was messy.
    Cool, will try--thank you!

I'm thinking I'm going to try these:

http://www.colehardware.com/hotline/96/10/ants.htm

Ya.. the ant stakes work really well. They do take awhile...like up to a week, because the ants all grab some of the poison, and carry it back, and it has to kill all of them.
    Be careful if you have pets though. They usually will try and play with the ant stakes, and since it is poison, you want to keep an eye out.
    Our cats tried to bat them around like toys and we had to yell at them.
    We only use the ant stakes as a last resort.

Diazonal [I think that's the name] works too. But it completely REEKS, and it's a bad chemical. So I don't recommend it. My mom was using that for awhile until I complained.

Hi,
    I also had an ant problem, I tried cinnamon, baby powder on door frames but what really worked was two sided carpet tape. i placed the tape along the ants regular route and they would stick eventually they just stopped coming in. Also cream of wheat sprinkled outside anthills is effective. It causes them to bloat up and die. rather gruesome but better than chemicals.

Cream of Wheat? What a great idea!

I've had ants - I think they're living in the walls, so no easy access to them.

But now I'm battling fleas! Again, I think they're in the walls, in one particular area where a raccoon was nesting. Yikes!

My cat isn't in residence at the moment, so I've bombed (don't like to do it, but it got the moths, too) and cleaned like crazy. Now they seem to be isolated in one bathroom, so I've scattered borax all over the tub, the floor, and made a long pile stretching across the doorway so they don't (I hope) come under the gap and into my bedroom.

Should take care of the ants, too!

Just an update,
    The little pests have been gone from our bedroom window for months now--we got something at the hardware store that you spray inside and out.

Downstairs, they started appearing in the living room (little tiny black ones) and that spray didn't work so we got Ortho Home Defense Max (you may have seen the commercial). Sprayed outside--we saw a lot climbing up our chimney (we're getting the fireplace fixed so this is a problem we knew about) so sprayed the 'hell' out of that side and they're GONE! yeah.

Hopefully the toxins don't kill us all ;)

Mint does help, but it would be nest year before the plants get big enough to do anything, I think. But you can lay down some branches (sprigs, stems?) where they're coming in. That would at least slow them down. At my mother's house (she lives in the country and gets invaded every year, no matter what) we sprinkled cinnamon on the countertops at night, which worked pretty well until we ran out of cinnamon... What we ended up getting was this stuff called Taro (I think that's how it's spelled). It's this sticky stuff that's poison I guess, in some sticky goo that they're supposed to take back to their hills. It worked, but you might want to put it somewhere that the toddler can't get to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads