Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ant problem!

Ant problem!

This is just a tad embarrassing: we have ants in the house. Specifically ONLY in my husband and I's bedroom and the living room--that's one room too many for me!

I've narrowed it down to the windows in our bedroom and it seems they're coming from the baseboards in the living room. Almost like up through the floor.

These two rooms are warm and sunny--our bedroom is on the sunny side and our house faces west so the living room has sun all day. I think they're coming in to get warm. eeek.

They're NOT carpenter ants. They're teeny tiny black ants, sometimes the medium sized reddish ones get in too.

I've got traps on our bedroom windowsills and it's working by killing them so they get no further than the window, but they're still coming in. I also don't want to attract them with these traps but what else could I do--I've tried some 'natural' remedies and those don't seem to work.

Would planting massive amts. of mint around the house help? Exterminator? I've looked outside for a nest and can't find one either.

I've had my husband calk certain areas but apparently the area they're coming in hasn't been calked so maybe we should just calk the whole window again from the outside?

As for the living room--they're not in the windows, they're on the floor by the outside wall.

Guys, I'm totally freakin' here. FEBRUARY they started coming in the bedroom--it was Winter for crying out loud. I HATE bugs, any kind. Absolutely hate that this is happening.

Any ideas?? {besides moving :)}

2. # ADS

Do you have kids? Because I've heard that ants don't cross a chalk line or a line of baby powder. (I wouldn't do that with kids. There would be little white fingerprints EVERYWHERE!)

I was going to post the chalk comment!
    You know, ants are annoying, but in my opinion, they are sooo much better than flies -- at least they tend to go for water and food -- they don't go hanging around in c-r-a-p.
    Good luck.

I've heard that sprinkling chili powder (or any strong spice, I assume) where the ants enter the house should help. But I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    Do you have kids? Because I've heard that ants don't cross a chalk line or a line of baby powder. (I wouldn't do that with kids. There would be little white fingerprints EVERYWHERE!)
    Yes and he's a toddler. I could try that in our bedroom though since he's not in there. thanks!

These little pests are sooo annoying if anything. It's funny because there's no food where they're coming in, just a warm area.

we had a problem with them coming into our bathroom, apparently through the molding around the doors. I did the baby powder thing and it stopped them for a while ... but it was also october. next summer they were back. The ant traps seem to mostly have killed them off (they work becuase the ant brings the poison food back to the queen, the queen eats it an dies, and VOILA no more baby ants).

In your situation where they are coming in from outside i would probably call an exterminator. Ick. I hope it helps to know that we all get them!

del

There is a product called Dessicated Earth that will kill them, and you can sprinkle this outside. Have you tried looking outside for where they're coming in? If you could bomb their home they'll go away, or if you're more compassionate, move their queen and they'll follow...

Cinnamon also works. You sprinkle a line of it,and they hate the stuff.
    My mom poured a big pile of it on top of the hole they were coming out of, and they stopped coming out of it.

try mixing borax & water and spraying around the outside of the house & into weep holes. works great & is safe as well.

Ant problem

Hi!
    I use soapy water in a spray bottle. One part liquid soap to 10 parts water. Spray it right on the ants and it kills them in seconds. It also eliminates the "scent trail" that these little ants use to mark the way to food.
    We have ants come in under the baseboard in by the front door. I spray there about 2 times a day, even if I don't see any ants.
    Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads