Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tips for flying with toddlers?

i'm going to do the unthinkable: fly with two toddlers. all by myself. my 2 1/2 year old and one year old and i are going on a little trip. at first, i was worried mostly about getting thru the terminal. but now i've got connectors for my two strollers and considering getting one of those wrist "leashes" in case my son insists upon walking. now i'm starting to freak out about the flight. baby girl is a wiggly screamer. i kept telling myself that it will be everyone else's problem & not to worry, i won't ever see any of them again. but now i'm really starting to trip about the trip. any in-flight suggestions? hoping it won't be a completely booked flight so i can have an empty seat next to us and not some bitter child-hater. but then after this flight, i wouldn't be surprised if everyone on board will become one.....

2. # ADS

Hi Sara -

Where are you going and how long is the flight? My first born was always an angel on flights. We used to fly a lot for her first two years and she made us proud - and smug.

Then we went back to London when the baby was turning one. What a frickin nightmare! The flight back - the daytime one - was a disaster. I'm sure it was worse for us than anyone else. I mean, I was constantly looking around, and didn't see anyone giving us mean looks. (White noise, perhaps?) My husband swore he wasn't taking her anywhere again until she grew up.

The main thing we did that kept her quiet and content was to keep her mouth filled with food. Seriously. Take plenty of snacks and drinks. Take plenty of wipes - obviously. And even a washcloth comes in handy. (And don't forget changes of clothes.)

Another tip has always been to bring a bag full of treats - even small toys and things from the Dollar Store. But only bring things out one at a time, as and when. They'll get bored really easily. Even the safety information folder can be entertaining.

I'll try and think of anything else.....

my mom always packed a bookbag of things for my sister and i... little cheap things, like coloring books, the "paint with water books," just little things... stuff you can get at the dollar store, ya know? i think because it was NEW, the novelty of the stuff was what kept us entertained.

at that age though, my mom would just give us each one toy at a time... when we'd get tired of that one, she'd hand me a new one. she said it worked rather well, not that i remember! haha.

benadryl or dimetapp.

knock em out!! hahah

I second lilian - drug them up, not to put them to sleep, but be sure to get some Sudafed to clear out their Eustachian tubes before takeoff and landing to make the pressure change easier on their ears. You know why your ears are popping, but they don't, so of course they're going to cry! Sucking on candies or pacifiers also helps with the ear pressure.

How long can they stand being in the car? It might not be a bad idea to practice keeping them quiet in a small strange space to get them used to it.

And I just want to preemptively support you for putting the big kid on a leash - it may seem cruel to some people but not as cruel as risking him getting lost... if you know he's not going to be good in a crowd then you're doing what's best for him.

I actually think the child leash would be a very very smart thing to use. Airports are big places, and you won't have to worry about him running off, weaving behind people, or anything like that. Plus, no one can snatch him when you look away for a split second. Yes, the probability of that is low, but I think better safe than sorry.
    To me, they say that you care about your son enough to garuntee that he won't run off, or get seperated from you. There's absolutely nothing mean about that.

Gum works well for getting ears to pop too..but I'm not sure if your kids are able to chew gum yet.

Lil' missy was much squirmier last flight (11 months old) -- but I found that if she was able to stand on my lap and look around and flirt with people, that really helped. Especially if the people sitting around us would engage her -- and of course they did -- she's an adorable little kid!

That, and going thru the in-flight magazine and "sky catalog" -- lots of pictures to look at.

i also had a couple new things for her to play with.

ooh, i know, i'm going to go out this afternoon, i will pick up a couple of things for your trip and send them to you, you just have to promise not to give them to them until you get on the plane!

xoxo

thanks for all the great suggestions! luckily it will be a short trip - just from seattle to san jose. but an hour or so with a screaming baby can be hell. i hadn't even thought of sudafed to decongest/decompress. i was thinking of tylenol just to calm the nerves. good one! she's definitely not ready for gum, though big brother will surely chomp away. no binkies for her, either. will have to bring something for her to chew on.... he'll be easy, and was when he flew at 14 months. i'm just wishing they had a sound-proof baby chamber for planes! i apologize ahead of time if you're on our flight!

I haven't flown with two babies, but i did fly with my son just before he turned 2. Nursing was great. Kept him calm, helped keep the ears open, and also put him to sleep. As we disembarked, several other passengers commented that they never knew there was a small child on board!

Don't feel bad even in the event of a worst case scenario. I once sat behind a baby who fussed and cried for a substantial part of a six hour flight. Her parents were clearly mortified but no one shot them any nasty looks or seemed upset as far as I could tell.

And honestly, being right behind her wasn't that bad. Those seats muffle a lot more noise than you'd think and there is so much noise and closeness anyway while flying that one crying baby just fades into the general indignity of being elbow to elbow with a bunch of strangers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads