shouldn't my azaleas be blooming?

remarkably, i have kept a pot of azaleas alive for over a year. (never before has a blooming plant survived in my hands much longer than the blooms last.) but shouldn't they be blooming now? do they hibernate? am i stunting them by keeping them inside? i was thinking that perhaps the original blooms were forced and just to wait it out, but there's not even any buds on the plant. am i doing something wrong?

2. # ADS

I would think they should be blooming, my mom has a huge azalea bush outside and it started blooming about a month ago maybe, it's done now. As long as it's not too cold and you have them in the right light I don't know why being inside would be any different.

I'm not too good with living plants, I'm only good with cut flowers....maybe it needs a bigger pot? repotted? fertilizer/plant food?

My azaleas just started to bloom a few days ago. Whats the weather like where you are? Maybe that has something to do with it? I 've never had them inside either. Maybe that's why?

I didn't even think about location. We're in south-western indiana, it's been hot and cold off and on for the past 3 months, it seems like it got warm really early this year too. Maybe if you're farther north your azaleas will bloom later than ours did.

We get azaleas in at work, they're not the hardy kind so I don't know if that makes a difference....but some of them come w/out blooms on them and they eventually do bloom. Some also produce more buds while in our shop...they're not outside. But then, they're not the hardy kind either, so I don't know how big of a difference that will make with their ability to bloom inside.

hmm. i've repotted and fertilized them. it's not a very bushy plant. perhaps it's in shock from the bonsai job i had to do on it? though it has quite a bit of new growth. just no buds.... i figured it would be safer inside during the winter, though it still gets relatively cold in the kitchen window. it gets a lot of diffused light. maybe not enough? does it need a lot of sun? the only really safe spots outside will still be a diffused-light situation. i'm stumped here.

When did you cut it down? I remember I told my mom she needed to cut her azaleas down (they're huge and messy looking) but the buds had already started - although very tiny - so she couldn't or they wouldn't bloom. Maybe you cut them off?

Edit-now that I think about it my mom's yard doesn't have any place where it gets full sun, so she can only buy plants that need shade or partial sun. So diffused light is what her azaleas get, so that's probably fine.

a couple of things I found.

http://www.greengold.com.au/greengol...ES/azaleas.htm

If it's a florist azalea this might help.

AZALEA--FLORIST PLANT CARE
    Florist azaleas are NOT hardy in central Illinois and should not be planted outdoors for survival. However, they can be cared for as a regular blooming houseplant.
    Make sure the soil doesn't dry out and the plant doesn't wilt. Many azalea soil mixes are composed of a high percentage of peat moss which dries quickly, especially when the plant is in full bloom. It may be necessary to water daily. Submerging the pot and allowing the peat-like soil to absorb water, and then draining in the sink may be beneficial.

Once the petals have fallen, keep the plant in a cool, sunny location. Plants may be set outdoors in partial shade for the summer. Fertilize monthly with an acid fertilizer. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. Keep the plant outdoors as long as possible in the fall, but bring indoors before a heavy frost.

In order for the plants to re-bloom, it is necessary to go through a cool, dormant period. Temperatures between 40 - 50 degrees F. are ideal. Warmer temperatures will probably limit flower bud formation. Plants should receive full sun during this period. Continue to water but limit fertilizers. When flower buds start forming in January or February, move the plant to a warmer location and increase humidity.

Only prune azaleas right after they finnish blooming. If you wait too long you may be removing next years buds. I prune just when the flowers start to fade. If I wait too long the plants really look scalped the next year.You might need to wait another year for flowers.

I had to learn the hard way about pruning too late. This holds true for rhodedendrons too. Mine are HUGE! I trimmed them too late last year and I dont have any flowers on them this year. :(

never pruned off the tops, if that made any difference. just cut off the dead parts - little branches, some dead bottom growth. guess i'll try putting it outside. hopefully it won't suffer at the hands of a toddler or get spaced by me.....

Remove Ads

Ads