Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

what's your favorite kitchen/household gadget?

it's crazy how many gadgets there are. i resist for the most part. like those freaking pizza cookers and quesadilla makers..... how many of these specialized things do we need? does anyone use them more than a couple times before they become a permament waste of space in the back of the cupboard?

but i got this conair tub spa thing as a gift a couple of years ago. it makes a good tub bubbler but it's really noisy so i never really used it much. decided to use it for the first time in a year last night and it was fantastic; i didn't hear ANYTHING - no pounding at the locked bathroom door. no "mamamamamamMAMA!!!!" no "where'd mama go?" it sounderd like i was like i was vacuuming at the base of niagara falls and i could have sat in there for an hour. it's now my favorite gadget. next to my mandolin slicer.

have any favorite gadgets? any nightmares? has anyone bought those electric scissors or handheld sewing machines? i've kind of been tempted to try those out....

2. # ADS

Hmm, I know this isn't really a gadget, but we recently got a set of steel strainers for the kitchen, and I don't know how we lived without them!

I think my favorite kitchen item might be the toaster oven. Since there are only two of us, we rarely need to heat up the whole kitchen with the "real" oven anymore.

But about the hand-held sewing machine and scissors... I did get fake versions of both, so maybe the real ones wouldn't be so bad, but these things sucked! The stitches from the sewing machine came out on their own, and the scissors just mangled my fabric. I might just be bad at using these things, but I really hated them!

For the kitchen, I couldn't do w/o my food processor. I hate having to chop things up and this makes it so much easier.
    Hmmmm...other gadgets???
    My drill or dremel tool.
    I'd love to have one of those battery-powered bathroom scrubbers!

I love my George Foreman grill. I can never get meat cooked right when I use the stove. But if I throw it on the George it turns out right, and I don't have to put it on paper towels to drain the fat off. The grill comes with a little book that tells what temp and amount of time to cook everything. We outgrew the first one when the kids stopped eating out of tiny jars, so we went and got the huge one. Yeah, this sounds like an infomercial.

I have this hot air brush for my hair. Fourteen bucks at Target. Snazzy! It's like a round brush/hairdryer combo. I'm pretty fond of it. I don't have the patience or coordination to use a brush and a dryer at the same time.

I had one of those little Tiny Taylor mending machines. Worked long enough to hem a couple pairs of pants, then ffffffffffft, off to POS-ville.

My favorite gadgets are a few of my cooking utensils.
    1. Mini serving spatula from Pampered Chef. It's great!! Great for getting that first piece out of a pan.
    2. Iced tea maker
    3. microplane
    4. electronic pepper mill

My Kitchenaid, hands down.

Oooh noo! I know I'm gonna sound like an info-mercial!
    - I love my Braun hand-held blender stick thingie with the chopper bowl and whisk attachments!
    I chop piles of peeled garlic and pour olive oil over it in a small jar and store in the fridge to use it over the next two weeks! Flavor in a flash! I also chop big knobs of fresh (unpeeled if the skin is fresh/ thinner) ginger cut in 1- 1.5 in chunks and pile it into a ziploc. Pat it flat, squeeze out the air, freeze and you got quickie ginger that stores for 4-6 mo. Just break off whatever you need. Same for jalepenos. Chops nuts great, and sometimes I'll cut together butter/flour in small batches for pie crust. Of course it chops baby food too.
    -recon a bike tire tube into a garlic peeler, by cutting off a 3-4 inch length-- using pinking shears is perty.
    -metal mushroom slicer (with blades) cuts strawberries, bananas too!
    -my rotary cheese grater has helped slow my wisconsin cheese consumption down! (We get great prices on bulk cheese-youch!)

stuff i use on a regular basis:

*mini food processor
    *tortilla press
    *pizza stone
    *stovetop popcorn popper thingie (the one with the crank that swirls the popcorn around)

also, a leatherman tool (i think that's the brand name - there are also some decent quality knockoffs) is GREAT for the home and car. very versatile.

shawneemonkey - is that just a regular tort press or one of those deals that cooks them too? been toying with the idea of getting one of those because i suck at rolling them. wonder if it would work well with frybread....

love my mini food processor, too. came in handy making little batches of baby food, garlic, small amounts of onions....

my other new favorite gadget is a "reporposed" gadget - my old whirlybird coffee grinder. i use it for mixing up my old fimo.

wish my barun stick mixer had all the gizmos. i've got one from the first round or production so all i got was a stinkin' mixing cup.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSM103
    My favorite gadgets are a few of my cooking utensils.
    1. Mini serving spatula from Pampered Chef. It's great!! Great for getting that first piece out of a pan.
    I have that too and it is perfect for that first piece of pie or for brownies, etc.

Speaking of Pampered Chef, I also have their apple peeler, slicer, corer w/stand. Now, granted this is in the back of the cupboard (actually up in my high cabinets) for most of the year, BUT at apple-picking season, it's PERFECT!

Last Oct, I had a birthday party to go to and I brought fresh VT apples in a crisp. I literally made it 45 min. before leaving--finished baking it at the party. If I were to peel and core these apples myself, it would have taken a lot longer. My hubby couldn't stop playing with it afterwards--he thinks it's neat too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads