Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The laundry

when I was really young I guess my mom did our laundry but I have no recollection of that. I only remember doing it myself, so I must have been pretty young when I started (1i-ish?). I know that by the time I got my period (12) I was definitely washing all my laundry myself - I didn't want anyone else to wash my underwear, especially if it was blood-stained. I've alwasy been really private about laundry - alwasy sensitive about the sizes of my clothes I think (I had two ultra-slim older sisters and a mom who teased me about my weight and my lack of interest in fashion).

I think we had to change our sheets and towels ourselves, and those things would collect in the laundy room until there was enough for a family load. I remember having favourite sheets and towels, and I would wash and fold those myself to make sure that I got to use them again when they were clean.

Now it's just me and the Special Boy. I do the laundry, by my choice. I try to do one load of the most pressing thing every day, and change the sheets / towels and wash them every weekend. If special boy leaves his clothes on the floor they don't get washed - only what makes it to the hamper makes it to the washer. :) Usually I fold clothes and start a new load in the morning while the SB makes breakfast. His clothes get left folded on the bed for him to put away - if I put it away he can't find it again!

del

2. # ADS

moon_lemming~ I WISH I could cut a hole in the floor somewhere! Unfortunately, we have a 2 story colonial w/ only 1204 sq.ft.! No big closets that we could rig up either. It's a real bummer!

ok, here's my big confession. we don't have a washer dryer and with two little kids, the laundry is so much to do at the laundry-mat. i send my laundry out twice a week and it comes home all folded and nice. it's not that much more than the machines and i just cut back other expenses. if i had my own machine, i would rock the laundry and do loads and loads every day. until then, i have the mercer laundrette number right near my computer!

We are going through a stage with the baby (again) where I fold and she un-folds. So I have to do this crazy thing where I fold some things then run and go put them up. I mean, I pull all of one person's clothing from the basket, fold it really fast, then put it away. This gets exhausting so the clean-clothes basket is never truly empty, but I empty enough so when I do the next load there's room for more.

My laundry is actually very easy. It's only two of us, and we don't have kids yet....so I'm sure it'll change.

We do laundry once a week or once every two weeks.

We have to pay to use the washer and dryer at the apt, or I would do it more often. Plus it's hard to find the washer and dryer available anyway.

I wash whites with light colors and darks with dark/medium colors. As long as everything's been washed a few times so I know it won't run. Then reds by themselves because we have so many red towels the washer and dryer just isn't big enough :)

I make myself fold the clothes while the next load is in the dryer, and then put it all away. I make myself use one laundry basket so I have to empty it/put folded clothes away before getting the next load out of the dryer.

We haven't had much of a problem, but when I still lived w/ my parents we had one of those little carts with the bags that hung down in three compartments that you use as a hamper - then all the clothes are already sorted when you go to do the laundry.

martha stewart living actually has an article on laundry this month! the website down, otherwise i'd link to it. it's so interesting!

I had a laundry separater. It is in shambles and pieces in my laundry room!

I like to get the machine as filled as possible. There are only two of us so that translates to 2-3 loads a week. In order to fill it, I need to do multi-colors washes. Not a good idea, but with it on cold none of the colors run.

I think part of the problem is the laundry room. It is such a pain to get into because there are boxes in front of the door!

Thanks, I'll check out Martha's article!

I LOVE to fold and put away my son's laundry but all other laundry bothers me. One of my big wishes is to have a washer and dryer in the kitchen instead of in the basement. When I mentioned this to my dad on the phone he said to try washing it in a tub in the backyard for a week and see how I feel about it all then. No sympathy from the man who grew up in a farm.

But if I had the machines on the 'living floor' of the apartment I could do laundry as an aside instead of a big production down 3 flights, having to make sure my son is safe and occupied or I sometimes bring him but it just adds to what I have to lug down the dang stairs.

Thanks for listening to me whine and rant. I should say that my husband does 85% of the laundry so that may take away my right to whine and rant too much! :)

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana

The biggest problem I've solved was my boy's white socks. .

I hate his socks. I really do. My boy has the same plan - they are all white they don't need to match more than this. And he has some thing about being unable to throw away socks with giant holes in them (he has a weird walking pattern that wears holes in the socks much faster than a normal human). About two times a year I go on a purge and try to take the bad ones away from him and buy him a nice new shiny set of white socks (crew length) but the never quite match the old ones and somehow he finds them again drags them out of the trash/dust rag box to wear again! I never thought socks would be this big of a deal. And who told him it was okay to wear white socks with black dress shoes? Sorry for the hijack, this just tipped me off.

This tread is making me realized what a poor laundry doer I am, and it's going to get worse once we have this baby. But strangely enough, laundery is one of the chores I don't mind doing and I'd do it more if our washer and dryer weren't in the basement! If only I could have the lovely charm of older houses/apartments (rentals) with more modern ideas about laundry rooms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads