Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The laundry

Here's the MS link, I had to search for it, the link on the site was broken:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...id=channel1553

2. # ADS

Oh yeah...I HATE trudging down to the basement from the 2nd floor w/ my baskets. A lot of times I'll bring a basket down to the 1st floor after a trip upstairs, then when I'm ready to go down I only have to haul it down 1 flight at a time. I just do the opposite on the way back up. Haul up 1 flight, fold it all, then haul it up the 2nd flight when I need to go upstairs for something.
    It was pretty comical when I did all that during my 2 pregnancies. My husband never even offered to help me! My mother fretted that I'd hurt myself. And my friend was like "My wife never did anything strenuous during her pregnancies. I can't believe you're hauling big baskets of laundry downstairs!".

I do mine every week...but it's just me, and it's two loads, because I have to wash my underwear seperate in hot water, and then the rest of my clothes in cold water. I do the underwear thing because I read something about them not really getting sanitized if you don't use hot water..so ya..
    I've been doing my own laundry since the 4th grade. My dad does his own and my mom does her own. Basically, you wash your own clothes or you have dirty ones and nothing to wear.

I find this system is really good...and i'm glad my parents did that. It sucked going thru grade school/junior high with dingy grey whites because no one told me you didn't just dump it all in the wash on hot... but that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    I just remembered - my mother used to assign us a certain day of the week, during which she'd do just our laundry. We were responsible for putting our baskets outside the door and if they weren't there, we had to do it ourselves or wait a week. We were each assigned different colored towels and if we wanted them and our sheets washed, they better be out there, too.
    This was the same system my brothers and I had. We'd put our baskets in the laundry room in the morning, and by the time we got home from school our baskets were back in our rooms with clean, unfolded laundry. We then folded it and put it away ourselves.

At one point my parents paid me something like 50 cents to do their laundry. That lasted about one second--I quickly realized how gross it is to do your parents' laundry, and 50 cents was far too little to convince me otherwise!

When my boy lived on the third floor and the laundry was in the basement, we just stuffed his clothes in laundry bags and let them roll (kicked them) down the stairs. Way easier to let gravity do the work, may as well save your strength for bringing them back up afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    ok, here's my big confession. we don't have a washer dryer and with two little kids, the laundry is so much to do at the laundry-mat. i send my laundry out twice a week and it comes home all folded and nice. it's not that much more than the machines and i just cut back other expenses. if i had my own machine, i would rock the laundry and do loads and loads every day. until then, i have the mercer laundrette number right near my computer!
    I seriously considered doing that when we lived in Boston, because, like you said, when you have to go to the laundremat anyway, it's not that much more to just pay by the pound.

I do our laundry once a week, we finally live somewhere with a free washer dryer in the basement and it's only two floors down. I sort them upstairs by putting the laundry basket up on the radiator and throwing them into piles on the floor (whites, darks, delicates, sheets). We fold our own clothes because we each have our own system.

I end up doing 5 or 6 loads a week...1 for towels, 1 for sheets, 1 for darks, 1 for white, and 1 for khaki/weekend wear.

Last week I got fed up and went to the laudromat to use the 5x washer. It's so nice to get all the loads going at once and be done in about 2 hours instead of the full day process it takes now.

We don't have a washer/dryer at our place, so we use my parents machine next door. A sweet but annoying thing is that my mom will do our laundry if I bring it over and leave it unattended for more than 10 minutes.

Because of electricity bills, I only do laundry at night, otherwise it gets to pricey. Generally I have my "time to do the laundry" clothing items. When I open my closet and I'm out of comfy undies, or no fave shirts to wear or i use up my last pair of really comfy socks, I know I have a couple of days until I have to fish out clothing out of the hamper to wear. That same morning i take the laundry hamper to the laundry room and wait for the evening.

I reuse towels: I have a small one to wrap around my head and I have a ratty old dingy terry cloth robe that's more than 23 years old (it belonged to my eldest brother) I wrap myself with the robe, and get dry that way, and the then hang both the hair wrap towel and robe to dry for the next day.

Pjs I'll wear for a few days, since I'm a morning shower girl. Sheets I'll do every couple of weeks, blankets almost never :/

I do laundry every other week.

I make 3 or 4 piles, depending on how much clothing there is. I have my darks (blacks, dark blues and reds) in one pile, the "colors and the whites/lights pile. Then I have the pile where I put sheets and towels, as well as dishcloths that aren't too gross. This pile is known as the "pile that sheds and creats lint. Because nothing in that pile is really urgent, it generally sits around until there's more to add to that pile. To dry things out, all my underwear goes on the line, all my socks get matched up and put on the line as well as nice t shirts and other clothes taht I don't want to shrink.

Since i've been losing weight, I do put some shrinkables in the dryer, and it makes them smaller for me :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads