Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The laundry

The laundry

I need help in developing a system for the laundry.

What do you guys do to keep it under control?

2. # ADS

yes yes yes, please do tell! i'm doing 4 loads every two to three days! my big thing is getting it folded AND put away....

This is sad, but I love to do the laundry.

-I set myself up on a system. I wash the whites on Mondays, colored clothes on Tuesdays, towels on Wednesdays, sheets and blankets on Thursdays and then I don't do laundry on Friday, Saturday or Sunday unless it's an emergency. When my daughter was little, I did her clothes by themselves whenever the basket was full.

-I bought one of those laundry separaters at Walmart - white PVC frame with three laundy bags. I taught my daughter to put her white clothes in the white one, and the rest of her clothes in the blue one. She still gets it mixed up, but it helps a lot. My husband is responsible for putting his own clothes in the bags and running out of clean pants is not an emergency for ME. It only took one week for him to remember that. I also wash the bags with the laundry.

-I use my dryer's buzzer. Then when it buzzes, I drop what I'm doing (as long as it's not important) and immediately fold the clothes. My daughter matches socks and seperates underwear for me. The clothes then get put away BEFORE I put the next load in the dryer so I don't wait until the next load is done, too. And I try not to fold the clothes on the couch because they will stay there until they've all been taken and used.

-One great tip I found is to toss out some of your clothes. If you have 14 pairs of pants and 30 shirts, you won't do laundry as often as if you have 7 pairs of pants and 15 shirts. Then it piles up.

-All laundry goes right into the laundry room so I can see how much has to be done and it's not a surprise when I gather it. (we don't have a big house, though, so it's not hard)

Keep in mind, I never cloth-diapered my daughter and she doesn't change her own clothes five times a day, so it's just the three of us right now with one set of clothes.

I do a few things to try to keep things as easy as possible.

1. Everyone has a dirty clothes basket in their closet
    2. Everyone wears pajamas at least 2-3 times before washing. I figure we're all clean when we put them on (after our night time baths and showers) The same goes for towels. We all have our own and we use them a few times before washing since they're clean too. (Hope you dont think this is gross.)
    3. I sort the clothes as I'm folding into everyone's basket and they immediately go into their room to be put away.
    4. A helpful hint in case anyone isnt aware. It's not a good idea to do say a whole load of just jeans or towels at once. Apparently that is too taxing on the transmission in the washer and its not good for the dryer either. After going through 2 washers in 8 years, I found this out the hard (& expensive) way.

Mrsm103 - I BEG my husband to use the same towel at least twice before tossing it in the laundry, and he refuses. I grew up hanging up our towels and using them several times before putting them in the laundry. He won't even use the same towel on our daughter if I used it on her the night before. How wet will she get it???

sjkmaurice: make him wash the towels, he'll change his tune soon enough :)

I love having my laundry sorter, it makes things so much easier. If I'm doing two loads, I try to do the one with the hangable clothes (bras, dryer-hating shirts) second so I can toss the few dryer pieces in with the first load as it's still tumbling. I also love the ritual of hanging out some stuff to dry.

I only wash sheets and pajamas every few weeks. I know it's gross but that's life. The pajamas aren't so bad because usually we just sleep in a dirty shirt (we're morning showerers) and some sweatpants if it's cold - if it's cold the sweatpants aren't getting sweaty anyway.

The biggest problem I've solved was my boy's white socks. He had about 15 pairs and he was too lazy to mate them so he'd wear them haphazardly. So I tried to mate them and it was ridiculously hard. So we threw out all his socks and got three packages of long socks and three packages of short socks, and they all have mates now and he doesn't look like such a dork. My socks have fun patterns so they're easy to mate.

I just wish I had a dumb waiter so I could transport my stuff from the 2nd floor all the way down to the basement w/o lugging the baskets!
    No laundry chute either! Poo!

I used to love having a laundry system, but it got to the point where I was procrastinating and ending up having a huge pile of laundry that threatened to eat my kitchen. because 1) we don't have a laundry room, the washer/dryer are in a small closet in the kitchen with no space for laundry baskets and 2) I forgot how much work managing a WHOLE HOUSE is aka I got too used to living in my parents' basement.

so for now I just throw dirty laundry in the washer and wash a load in cold water every other day or so. then on the weekends I wash towels and bed linens. I've been doing it for a few weeks and it's working so far.

Sewlittletime, when I was a kid, the laundry room was downstairs and my mom got tired of carrying laundry for six people down there, so my dad cut a hole in a closet of the bathroom that was above the laundry room. a diy laundry chute! (which we made use of many times in games of hide n seek.) maybe you could try something like that? heh, of course it would have to be on the first floor . . .

I just remembered - my mother used to assign us a certain day of the week, during which she'd do just our laundry. We were responsible for putting our baskets outside the door and if they weren't there, we had to do it ourselves or wait a week. We were each assigned different colored towels and if we wanted them and our sheets washed, they better be out there, too.

I don't have too much laundry, since it's just the girl and me, but i second whoever said it before -- i like doing laundry! maybe it's the sense of accomplishment. maybe i'd feel different if i had loads and loads to do.
    i do have two of those collapsible hampers, one for lights and one for darks. i rarely have anything that i have to bleach.
    then, i find the only way it gets put away in any sort of order (since the 14 month old likes to mess up piles-o-clothes) is to fold it while standing in front of the dresser, putting the stuff away as i fold. that way, i'm not having to fold and re-fold, or transfer piles, or keep the girl away from it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads