Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Eff off Tom Cruise

This interview with Tom Cruise really pissed me off, as he slags off Brooke Shields for taking Paxil to help cope with her severe post-partum depression. Note that he's never had a wife that's gone through post-partum anything --- which I believe simply doesn't give him room to judge. I admire Brooke's strength - and guts for going public with her book......

Cruise Down on Brooke's Anti-Depressants

May 23, 2005

Has Tom Cruise received a medical degree in his spare time? The megastar is openly questioning the treatment Brooke Shields received for her crippling postpartum depression, a struggle she details in her new memoir, "Down Came the Rain."

Tom, sticking close to Scientology's anti-psychiatry party line, believes Shields, despite experiencing what she has described as suicidal thoughts, should have avoided taking the anti-depressant drug Paxil following the birth of her daughter, Rowan, in 2003.

"These drugs are dangerous. I have actually helped people come off," Cruise proselytizes, er, says, in an interview with Access Hollywood set to air Thursday (via the New York Daily News). "When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins."

According to Dr. Tom, "There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that. You can use vitamins to help a woman through those things."

(And somewhere, a "War of the Worlds" marketing exec smacks his forehead and tries to convince himself that moms really won't comprise too much of the movie's opening weekend audience.)

The actor, who made his film debut in the 1981 Shields clunker "Endless Love," adds, "Here is a woman, and I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented woman -- you look at, where has her career gone?"

Ouch.

When he's not dissing the "Suddenly Susan" star's B-list status and medical choices, Cruise, 42, has been out promoting his ardor for girlfriend-of-about-a-month Katie Holmes, 26, to major media outlets.

But was the actress, who has had a difficult few weeks, what with the tabloids gleefully analyzing her facial blemishes and allegedly bunion-filled feet, a runner-up for toothy Tom's affections?

According to the Daily News, the A-lister originally hoped to woo the once and possibly future flame of Orlando Bloom.

"Before Katie, he was interested in Kate Bosworth," a mole tattles to the paper. But it appears the 22-year-old actress, currently Down Under filming the blockbuster-to-be "Superman Returns," was able to resist the all-consuming Cruise charisma.

While Kate's rep is mum, Tom's sister-turned-mouthpiece LeeAnn Devett pooh-poohs the rumor, insisting to the Daily News, "That is completely and utterly false information."

Either way, he seems perfectly content in his current choice, with his admiration now bordering on hysteria.

"I love this woman," Cruise enthuses to Access. "I've got to tell you something, I'm not going to hide it. I am so happy and I am not going to pretend or hide it or be shy. This woman is magnificent ... I'm really, really happy and I can't contain it. I'm not going to pretend."

He's equally effusive on Monday's Oprah, pumping his fists and falling to one knee in excitement, and racing backstage in an attempt to bring out a skittish Holmes, who tries to scamper away (go with that feeling, sweetie).

"I've known Tom a long time, and he has always been so private," marvels Oprah. "I've never seen him like this before -- he's gone."

When MTV News asked him why he's going so public with his amour, he explains, "When I make a move like that, I'm saying, 'This is my woman.'" (No word on whether that statement was followed by a grunt and some chest-beating.)

Says the star, "People are going to do what they are going to do. Here's the thing: You can't think in terms of what are people going to do or say. [Stepping out with her publicly is] saying, 'I want to share my life with this woman; this woman is exceptional, she is special, she is extraordinary and I have great respect for her.' And it's saying, 'I got nothing to hide. I'm happy.' I'm happy, man ... she is something else."

So what does Cruise look for in a woman, besides the ability to reciprocate his immediate and intense passion? "I'm concerned about whether or not someone can keep up with me," he tells MTV. "I got a fast life. I got a lot going on."

Including the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, which he seems to be introducing to Holmes. The couple, who recently enjoyed a Mexican holiday with Tom's two kids, reportedly visited a Scientology-affiliated school in Los Angeles two weeks ago.

And just in case you've been in a cave ... on Mars ... with your fingers in your ears, Cruise hits theaters in "War of the Worlds" on June 29, while Holmes plays second banana to Christian Bale's Caped Crusader in "Batman Begins" starting on June 15.

2. # ADS

Ever since Mission Impossible--for some reason-- I cannot stand Tom Cruise. I just can't stomach him.

i never ever thought tom cruise was cute. something gross about tighty whiteys, i guess. and his ego's the size of texas. i yawn at him.

plus scientology is whack (my moms was in it when we were youngsters).

plus that's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to claim that "emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that." the very phrase! while i think that sometimes we do tend to overmedicate our emotions away, i recognize that meds are very often necessary either long term or to get someone through something as pervasive and deep as post partum depression.

i'm sure he knows that scientology centers keep an office for the late l ron hubbard. i wonder if he knows that certain staff in these centers move items around in these offices so people think mr. hubbard has had some kind of presence in his offices.

egocentric lameass.

what a dumbass.

Let's hope poor Katie comes to her senses before she gets pregnant and, perchance, suffers PPD. It ain't fun. But at least I'm now off my meds (two years later) and doing O.K.

According to the Daily News, the A-lister originally hoped to woo the once and possibly future flame of Orlando Bloom.
    I have to admit I read that at first as Tom Cruise going after Orlando Bloom.

I feel that the only person who has the right to comment on a woman's choice as far as drugs go is her doctor/therapist or herself. and to an extent, her partner. senor cruise is none of those things, however, I think he believes his own hype and thinks he's a godlike creature who can pass judgment on everyone around him.

poor Katie. I almost feel sorry for her even though I don't especially like her. the pics you see everywhere creep me out enough, knowing that he's pulling her into Scientology is especially gross. and that Oprah clip they were showing everywhere made me embarrassed for everyone involved, esp the kids. I think the only winner in all of this is Nicole Kidman.

sweet god, I despise Tom Cruise. I wish there were some way I could sub another actor into Top Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by fairgreenlady
    Let's hope poor Katie comes to her senses before she gets pregnant and, perchance, suffers PPD. It ain't fun. But at least I'm now off my meds (two years later) and doing O.K.
    I thought we all pretty much figured his guys aren't swimmers. Mimi Rogers had no problems getting pregnant with her second husband and then when Nicole Kidman was reportedly pregnant he reportedly tried to claim it wasn't his but she said it was.

"These drugs are dangerous. I have actually helped people come off," Cruise proselytizes, er, says..."

HAHAHAHAHA! This is my favorite part.

Who the hell is he to pass judgement on what a woman goes through after giving birth?!
    I liked him so much before this but this just hits too close to home.

Tom Cruise is yucky.
    Katie Holmes is a beard.
    I'm pretending not to follow this.

oh he creeps me out so much. does anyone else think that his "grin" looks like scary bared teeth?

does anyone know enough about scientology to say how women are treated in their scriptures? because Tom Cruise and John Travolta strike me as rather scary paternalistic chauvinists, but i could be wrong.

poor Katie Holmes (and I am assuredly not a fan of her sad-puppyness). It does stink of a publicity stunt, but it really sounds like he is getting WAY too into it-- like off his rocker into it.

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads