helpful household tips?

we've got the cleaning method thread going, cleaning rugs, laundry.... but how about any other helpful household tips you'd like to share?

my favorite is putting a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and putting it in the vacuum. i've liked the minty smells in there the best.

2. # ADS

hey, that sounds interesting, but i'm not sure i get it. where does the cotton ball go? and what does it do?

sorry. just let the vacuum suck it up into the bag or canister and the air blowing out will smell oh-so-nice instead of dusty musty hot floor stuff smell.

Oh that's a cool idea!
    Hmmm...I got nothin' right now.

Oh hey ,I do that with the used dryer sheets. I have a weird obsession with the smell of clean laundry.lol! The white cotton Yakee Sampler candles are my favorite candle to burn.
    I use the swifters, but, I dust all the tables and stereo stuff and chachkees with the sheet. Then I attach it to the sweeper and use it up on the floors.
    Wood polish..A few drops of fressh lemon on a rag and a few drops of olive oil.
    Start at the top of the room chores and work your way down. That way by the time you get to the floors, all the dust and dirt from the rest of the room is there too. Also I do the same task from room to room and work my way through the house and then down the list and so on....

Want some cheap, disposable dust cloths? Puffs Plus, I kid you not. The dust sticks to the oil in the tissue. I discovered this when I was dragging a box of it everywhere with me because of a cold and decided to dust, since my day was already ruined.

AHA!! I just finally thought of something! The very best product I have ever used to clean with is a powder called Soilax. You can find it in the hardware stores as it's mainly a product specifically geared towards painters for cleaning walls before painting. I have used it on my disgusting smoke stained walls and it totally takes everything off. The stuff is amazing! Also great for getting those black kiddie handprints off your stairwell walls, and grease spots off the walls and tiles around the kitchen stove. I also used it to clean this old secretary desk that had been sitting in my parent's garage for 20-some-odd years, and it took off all the dust and exhaust crud so I can actually se the grain in the wood again. The very best thing about Soilax, is that you don't have to rinse it off. It doesn't leave a soapy residue.

Remove Ads

Ads