Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Junking everything, tossing boiling water on the walls and going to collect food stamps (only slightly joking). So depressing to toss out all your food but I can't bring myself to serve any of it to my boy.

2. # ADS

We don't seem to get this problem too often in Rochester, but it HAS happened. I don't keep too many pre-packaged dry foods in the house, but what I do have is a lot of baking stuff, and those get put in rubbermaid or tupperware containers right away b/c they tend to sit around much longer than anything else.
    I remember, though, when I was probably in HS, helping my mom clean out our cabinets, and finding a can of Crisco totally infested w/ critters. (Crisco isn't normally something we bought, either. Mom must have needed it for something in particular.) It was soooo disgusting, and we had to chuck a whole mess of stuff from the cabinet that got infested too. CRINGE!!

possibly not the same creatures as we'd get over here- but I thought you might find it amusing to know that one of my favourite 'jobs' as a child was picking the weevils out of the brown rice we used to have. Sometimes I actually miss the fact that I don't have weevils in my rice anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by manukenkun
    possibly not the same creatures as we'd get over here- but I thought you might find it amusing to know that one of my favourite 'jobs' as a child was picking the weevils out of the brown rice we used to have. Sometimes I actually miss the fact that I don't have weevils in my rice anymore!
    Thanks for writing a sweet story about something I didn't think could be!
    I was thinking if you start a band it could be called "Picking Weevils".
    :)

Or at the very least it could be the title of a zine...it's really weird how I miss those vermin!
    I don't miss the slugs that used to invade an old house of mine, or the mice- so I can kind of understand your pain!

Neuroticdawg has a wonderful point about switching grocery stores since the pests come in with the food. As much of a pain as it is to shop at a super crowded supermarket, it is a sign that there is better turnover in merchandise...

Pantry Moths..ewwww! But we get 'em, too.

Aside from the above advice, you can buy pantry moth traps at the Lehman's Hardware website( they primarily serve Amish, so pretty cool and knowledgable about food storage)$9/2?

I also keep all rice and grains in my freezer. Others I know temporarily 'freeze' their grain products to kill an possible larvae/infestations. Bugs also kinda dumb. Moved pantry to basement as they don't seem to fly "down". Go figure?

Nasties also like dog food, so keep dog food in big Rubbermaid bins.

maybe you can store dry foods in ziplock bags?

this is gross: once in high school (freshman year) i made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for my class. i poured the oatmeal in the mixture and noticed it had weevils. i was too scared to tell my mom that i ruined all the ingredients she had just bought me, so i made the cookies anyways. everyone in my class RAVED about them and ater every last crumb.

fast forward to my senior year dance, this friend of mine, was drunk and hugging me saying how he will always remember me for my awesome cc cookies i made for the class freshman year. i laughed and told him "those had bugs in them!"

he sobered up and said, "what?"

and i go, "just kidding!"

YOU MADE PEOPLE EAT THEM! That's heinous! (she says as she's laughing her butt off) Did you pick the bugs out or just cook them in there?

craftychica: that is hilarious AND disgusting!

I've had this problem and it drives me crazyyyy. When I found them, I threw everything out that was infested (which was hard but there were moths AND larvae AND webby sh*t in packages!). I cleaned the pantry (vacuumed the shelves, corners especially!) and used method all purpose spray to clean them off really well. ive heard sachets of lavender, eucalyptus oils rid them off.

i havent tried any debugging sprays or bombs, they scare the hell out of me. if it happened again, i'd try strong sachets as mentioned above. for now, i use (and LOVE) a foodstorage brand called 'decor' that is sold at the Container Store, which Im pretty sure can be found nationwide. they're clear containers in all sizes and shapes and come with plastic colored labels that snap to the side. you can write dates on the labels with the pencil that comes with it (or any soft pencil) and erase em too. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads