Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i was a freshman, i was a dork!!

it was way past my bedtime so i just rushed and cooked them in there. i added lots of chocolate chips!

i remember considering telling my mom, but at the time, my parents didn't have a lot of money and my mom had collected the change from the bottom of her purse to buy me the ingredients.

she was like "we have oatmeal at home, we don't need to buy it!"

2. # ADS

CraftyChicaAZ - you should just call those your high protien cookies! I love the "just kidding!" line! :)

visivo - It's the webby s**t that's the worst! I feel sick just thinking of it. YUCK. That decor storage stuff sound good. Is it expensive?

And as bessiemae said, "bugs are dumb". I keep telling myself that as I sift through a whole bag of flour, they're not smart enough to hide.

I put off the big cleanup until tomorrow. Too hot to thinking about nasty bugs today.

no! actually decor stuff is realllly cheap! i use them for lunches too; they have teeny containers and huge ones and everything in between. gotta love the dishwasher safe factor too :)

i really recommend em.

That happened to us once and it turned out to be coming from a bag of oatmeal and a bag of flour...give your panty a good check on anything that has been opened or is "white"

I definitely feel for you. We lived with pantry moths flitting around our place for more than 2 years. We finally got so annoyed with them that we started smashing them into the wall with whatever was handy (many of my books still have little moth smush-prints on them. They wipe off easily, but it's kind of gross.)

The moths that were tormenting us were Indian meal moths. They have very distinctive markings, usually a coppery-brown body and wings. There's a sort of red band across the bottom of the wings that you can see when the wings are folded. They also have a distinctive flight pattern, in which they fly in sort of a zigzag, very quickly and erratically. We had these stupid moths for so long that eventually these little buggers seemed to either mutate or mate with another similar moth species. Then we had the red-banded moths flying around as well as another species that had beigey-gold wings. It was very unpleasant.

I think someone in another post mentioned that the moths go dormant during the cooler months and that definitely seems to be true. We only had moth problems during the summer and the warmest spring and fall months. That's why the freezer is a good way to protect as many dry goods as you can fit in there (flour especially. It will also keep the weevils out of the flour). In my experience, these horrible little creatures also really like chocolate, nuts, dried fruit and some spices (red pepper flakes especially). We don't have the moths anymore, but we still keep a lot of stuff in the freezer.

Another thing that I found that these moths like is some kinds of glue. I discovered a nasty dead moth larva trapped under the top note on a post-it pad.

Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to totally get rid of the moths because we were lucky enough to lose the moths when we moved. We threw out all of our spices and dry goods and started with fresh ones at the new house. I hated to waste all of that, but by then we were at our wits' end and besides, I think we ended up saving in the long run, with all the traps we used to buy. The sticky traps are disgusting but they are effective. Unfortunately, as you said, not 100 percent.

Also, I don't know if you ever do, but try to avoid buying food in bulk (things like granola, nuts, trail mix, etc. that you can scoop out of bins.) The moths seem to love the bulk food bins and you could easily end up with more of them. I know (I won't give the disgusting details why) that our moths came from a bag of bulk pecans from Whole Foods. I rarely shop there now (too expensive anyway!) and I skip buying anything from the bulk food bins.

I wish I had a foolproof solution for you. Good luck and happy moth eradicating!

ewwwwwww. I finally made myself get in there. Those moths are laughing at me. I set up 2 sticky hanging traps and 2 moth motel type traps last night and this morning I have netted 2 bugs total. They are super evolved.

I will never save plastic bags again, or paper bags for that matter.

I've only cleared it out, I haven't done the big clean yet. I was kinda saving that joy for my DH.

Thank you all for making me feel like I'm not the only one who has fought this fight. Your tips and support are much appreciated as I get my a@@ kicked by these tiny beasts.

I lived in the Bahamas for 3 years and we had awful bug problems and a little bit of mice problems. We had to keep everything in the refrigerator, even cereal. Tupperware worked good for flour, sugar, etc. But some of the Tupperware had teeth marks on the lids.

i've never had weevils (thank god, or i think i'd never eat again...i've had serious issues with bugs in food since the fourth grade when we grew meal worms...blehc!) but i've read that if you put a chili or two, or, as someone has mentioned, a bay leaf or two, in easily infested items, that will help ward them off. i think i read that in martha stewart.

freeze the buggy eggs!

The containers are a great idea; I have had birdseed get those gross little moths & had the same thing happen with a jar of spaghetti sauce. I also started freezing my flour, rice, etc. for at least 24 hours when I first bought it, because I read that this will kill any eggs in there, and this really seems to work.

Re: freeze the buggy eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily72
    I also started freezing my flour, rice, etc. for at least 24 hours when I first bought it, because I read that this will kill any eggs in there, and this really seems to work.
    That is a great idea. I can't store everything in my dinky freezer but I could do 24 hours! Thanks for the tip.

The moth 'hotel' things that my husband bought are doing the trick, slowly but surely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads