Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Not fun at all

I''ve had a few wormies & crawlies in my grains before, but tonight when I was cooking dinner, had an idea of where all the new moths were coming from when I got out the couscous.

Sure enough, my rice cabinet was full of worms and moths and webs. Only my brown rice seems horridly infested at the moment, which is good, because I have about four other kinds of rice!

Oye, I''ll have to go clean it up after I get done eating.

I''m going to toss all of the brown rice because there''s a whole life cycle going on in it, and that''s just a bit more of an ick factor than I can really deal with. It takes a pretty good amount to ick me out, too.

I''ll check the other rice and transfer all the bags into tupperware and stick it in the freezer for now. And remember to wash all of my rice before I cook it until I get all new.

And, in the future, my brown rice gets stored in the fridge from day one

I know that all grains come with bugs and bug pieces, but I guess using the oven heated things up enough to cause a buggy explosion. Ewww.

As if I didn''t have enough things to get done tonight. >.<

2. # ADS

I had this problem a couple years ago...they were everywhere...my ceiling, my food. I cleaned out my food, killed them and washed but they weren''t going away. i discovered they had gone up inside a gap between the cupboard and wall and were in all my cookbooks'' binding, which were above the cupboard. I finally had to buy spray and then I just went ballistic. I scoured my house, wacking bugs as I went. I tossed food and washed out everything, froze all my cookbooks for a week and then wiped them out, one by one (I had over a hundred) I had to buy all new canisters for some of my stuff...you need to make sure the seal is solid...They had gotten into the cheap containers. It took me weeks.

This was in Vancouver (bc) and I started noticing them in a lot of stores. Especially the bulk whole food hippie ones I tended to shop in. I worked at a Zellers and they were rampant in the pet aisle there. So gross.

I store all my grains and baking materials in Lock and Lock containers. I also put bay leaves in the containers, and I've never had an infestation. My mom would buy bulk flour and store it in garbage cans in the garage, with bay leaves spread throughout the flour. She never had problems either.

I have no idea if it's luck or actually useful, but I swear by bay leaves.

Angry Evil Food Worm-Moth-Beasts

They are driving me insane too. My mother used to call them 'webworms' because of the webbing that's almost invisible and causes grains and flours to 'cling' to the inside of store packaging. In fact, that's the telltale sign the product is infested. Also, rice should smell like.. well, rice. There's an odor that grains seem to have when the infestation is really bad. I can't describe it, but it isn't appetizing. Foods of choice for these little monsters are grains, dried beans, dried fruits, dried spices, pet food, chocolate, pasta and even dried chilis. Their official name is Indian moth worm, I believe, in the larval stage at any rate. So how are they making it into our homes? Well, anything wrapped in soft plastic such as rice, beans, fruit.. you're getting the picture. The infestation usually happens at the packaging plant or grocery store. To eliminate the infestation, they would have to dispose of everything wrapped in soft plastic on their shelves, because the infestation can make its way through a plastic bag. And that's exactly what you will need to do to get rid of them. Also vacuum and then scrub down the shelves. To prevent re-infestation, check packages before purchase. If you roll a bag of rice around in your hand and kernels cling to the inside of the bag like they've been charged with static electricity, that's the webbing of the larvae. Make sure to tell the store manager and that you won't be purchasing from him that product again. (Most store managers won't even admit to having the infestation, but I suspect the more people complain, the more effort they will make to educate themselves.) Check bags as soon as you get them home. Re-package everything into tupperware or something similar with a snapable airtight lid. You don't need to refrigerate, but I suppose it helps if you're going to be keeping flour for instance for longer than a few months. All that being said, I've had to give up eating rice. I live in Indianapolis and have tried every store in town, and every brand. The worst are the brown rices, probably because they sit on the shelves longer and have more time to... grow more larvae and spin more webbing, I guess. =p If you really want to know more about these shudder-worthy critters, I found this link ww.allaboutworms.com/worms-in-food-identifying-the-indian-meal-moth-larvae]All About Worms in Food: Identifying the Indian Meal Moth Larvae
    In the meantime if anyone knows where I can buy worm-free rice, I will be eternally in your debt.
    Last edited by Thissalantine; 07-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Eeee. Did you hire somebody else to clean that up?

It is interesting. Actually, it is the first time I hear about such a problem. I even do not know what to suggest to you. But I may ask my friends, I am based in https://dialcodes.co.uk/areacodes/01223. Maybe you could some of the solutions posted here. Anyway, thanks a lot for posting this information. It may be useful for others. It is a helpful alert to be aware of.

never heard that before

shdjshjad

A special device without chemicals helped me from bugs, it usually scares away mosquitoes, but I tried it on bugs and you know these annoying creatures much less check more info here https://www.rfdtv.com/story/42406430...ne-2020-update .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads