Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Embarasssing Bug Problem

As the subject mentions, this is a bit embarassing but I need your help so here goes---> our pantry is infested with these @##*%@!!!! little flying bugs. The kind that get in grain and lay eggs/cocoons/whatever and just MULTIPLY. We've done the sticky strips and that gets tons of them but never ALL of those little (I am trying so hard not to curse) suckers. I threw out everything in the pantry last spring and yet here we are in summer and here they are in full force. I'd like to stay away from any kind of chemical bomb, as satisfying as that would be, for the sake of the kiddo. I was wondering if you had any ideas of what to do. The last straw was last night when I opened a jar of sauce and they had gotten under the lid and made little webby cocoons all under it. I'm going to be sick just thinking about it.

Anyone want to come to my house for dinner? Didn't think so! :(
    Help please!

2. # ADS

When we lived in the south, we had a pest control guy come ever month with his non-toxic spray because I'm just freaky about bugs. However, we had these peas in a bag that somehow got overlooked on a higher shelf in the back and by the time I found them, they were MUSHY with bugs! Then I opened three boxed spaghetti side dishes and all three had those nasty little creatures in them. I asked the pest control guy where they came from, and he said you buy them in the store, meaning they usually come in the boxed stuff you buy, and his stuff wasn't harsh enough to get rid of them. Well, paranoid me bought a ton of little rubbermaid containers (plastic bags are useless!) and transfered all our boxed stuff into those the moment they entered the house. (I also cut out the instructions and either threw that in there or taped it to the outside) When the weather got cooler, I think they went away, but we used those rubbermaids for a long time! I don't know what you can do about stuff like sauce, though. I assumed it was safe from those creepy critters. I guess you can just keep it all in the fridge. Sorry you have to go through this!

I wonder what kind of flying bugs these are? Gotta find out what you're up against...then take away their food source and nests. So, if they're fruit flies, you'd need to use containers. if they're termites you'd have to remove or treat the wood..etc. You could have professionals come in to treat them, and watch what they do so you can take over the battle. The exterminating companies are reasonable on pricing and will use friendly products. It's not just the embarrassment, it's the damage that insect infestation can do.
    My advice is call the pros.

Thanks for the advice and support. I like the idea of putting things in tubs, I've been doing the freezer bags but I guess I'm kidding myself thinking it's a shield.

Canary, that's a good question about what kind of bug they are. I agree with sjkmaurice, I think they came in with a box of pasta. They aren't fruit flies and they aren't termites. What else could they be? Any ideas?

Weevils often show up in flour based products. If I remember correctly, they appear in these products when they get old. I think they are in the flour and appear from within. I don't think it is a question of keeping them out. It is my understanding that they are harmless. That being said, I don't want them in my kitchen, either. I have found them in packages at my grocery store and in an old pasta package in my cabinet. I don't believe there is a way to keep from getting them except to clean out cabinets regularly and store flour based things you would like to keep long term in the freezer.

Re: Embarasssing Bug Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    As the subject mentions, this is a bit embarassing but I need your help so here goes---> our pantry is infested with these @##*%@!!!! little flying bugs. The kind that get in grain and lay eggs/cocoons/whatever and just MULTIPLY.
    Don't be embarrassed! They're called pantry moths and they're really stubborn little buggers.

You have to be aggressive about chucking food they've infested, clean everything very well, that little bit of spilled rice in the back of a cabinet can support a whole new infestation and keep everything problematic in *tightly* capped containers.

If you tend to buy whole wheat flour or brown rice, they're particularly obnoxious.

If you have pet rodents or birds, check to make sure they're not also infesting that food OR infesting their food stores in their cages. (gross!)

Sticks of mint gum placed in your cabinets are supposed to discourage them.

Some regions just seem prone to them. I have never had the problems in Massachusetts that I had with them in Maryland.

yup, they're weevils. you can buy traps for them, once you've gotten rid of the ones you can see in your foodstuff. you can usually find the traps at nurseries/garden shops, or you can buy them online. the ones i get are called "pantry pest traps", and they're not terribly expensive. just make sure to replace them on a regular basis.

For rice, which I buy in 5 or 10 pound bags at the Asian market, I put it in a sealable container. And I keep a few whole bay leaves inside the container. That helps.

I also got sealable jars for all of my grains, and that helps too. But also buying in smaller quantities helps.

Don't forget to check your bottled spices too. I have had worms in my garam masala before. And falafel mix! Bad news.

Our bug problem comes from another apartment...there is a hole in the wall under the sink where they crawl out, then up into the pantry. It's an ongoing battle for us too...

Re: Embarasssing Bug Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Marina-Trilobyte
    Some regions just seem prone to them. I have never had the problems in Massachusetts that I had with them in Maryland.
    hahahaha - I'm in Massachusetts!

I switched stores because of pantry moths. I kept getting them no matter how many times I pitched all the food and cleaned the cabinets. Then I noticed them flitting around the baking goods aisle of the grocery store. Aha. Seems they had a perpetual infestation, with the old stock being a mere two or three packages away from the new. So I turned right around and walked out and went on down the road to another store and haven't had that problem since.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads