Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cool Handmade Gifts for Kids

Cool Handmade Gifts for Kids

My son's got a bunch of birthday's coming up this summer and I am looking for ideas for gifts to make.

I've made a cape, a truck pillow and a treasure box any other ideas of easy things to make that kids would love to receive or that I can kid myself into thinking that they'd love to get instead of some zippy battery operated thingie? I sound like my Granny.

Thanks!

I should say that it's for 3-5 year olds!

2. # ADS

My husbands mother made her 5 year old nephew a denim Tee-Pee (Sp?) for Christmas. She bought 3 long wooden poles, and made her own pattern, it turnedout really neat. I guess he spends a ton of time playing in it!

i could be totally out of it, but do little kids still like to have their own wallet or purse? i seem to recall that being a great item to have when i was a tot (a million years ago). they're cheap and easy to make, and you could even slip a dollar or two in it for the kid to put in her/his piggy bank.

i gave my friend's 5-year-old some bargain-bin fabric (2 yards each of 3 different fabrics), and that was her favourite gift this winter. she still uses them for dress-up, and as picnic blankets/tents/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by shawneemonkey

i gave my friend's 5-year-old some bargain-bin fabric (2 yards each of 3 different fabrics), and that was her favourite gift this winter. she still uses them for dress-up, and as picnic blankets/tents/whatever.
    I love that idea, very Waldorf! Did you hem it?

-homemade cornstarch playdough scented/colored with KoolAid in cool little containers. Add a couple of $1 store kitchen utensils/cookie cutters or a cookie sheet.

- Make a patchwork checker board and use plastic animals as markers. Decorate border with plants/flowers, etc. Make small draw string bag for pieces.

- Kids seem to like kinda abstract animal shape pillows in loud colors or terry cloth.

- applique fav character fabric to T and shorts(Walmart has inexpensive Kid fabric, and if all 3-5yo, can pickup See and Sew short pattern )..same for pillows. Can also trim out a twin set of sheets or towels .

- Inexpensive apron, personalized with Word made Kid cookbook, and a few $1 store implements(measuring spoons, etc.)

- Most kids like anything with their name on it.

- Most girls like Fairy goodies: headband, wand, wings, etc. I say "most girls" because I would have to say "Elven" swords, tunics,etc. for my boys to consider it. Sigh.

- $1 store watches

- HM sidewalk chalk/soap crayons made in cookie cutters for cool shapes.

- like purses/bags, simple drawstring backpacks.

also check out the Dover website for $1 books and uber cool coloring books for kids.....not the usual cartoon/toyotic ones! Very cool maze books, sticker books, etc.
    shainakhan likes this.

WOW Bessiemae, you are a wealth of information. I'm going to save and hopefully use all your wonderful ideas! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    I love that idea, very Waldorf! Did you hem it?
    hmmmmm... i think i serged the edges on one of the fabrics. the other two were tulle and something stretchy, so i think i just let those be.

What about a pic of the Birthday Child and your child mounted on a puzzle? Modge-Podge it to foam board and them cut into puzzle pieces? Bonus if you have access to a jigsaw! Put it in a cool HM drawstring bag. Could also be done with pic of Birthday child's house/apartment bldg, pets, etc.

Forgot to add cornstarch playdough has a smoother, nicer texture than the salt dough.

If you don't like the parents, HM Gak in container with ill- fitting lid. (glue, water, borax, and food coloring). Trust me, it will never come out of carpet or upholstery.:(

Bookbags, my kids love having thier own.

For Christmas I made my 3 year old cousin a drawstring backpack and a change purse that I put a couple of dollars in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads