Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Repainting Furniture

I scored two great twin beds (for my twin girls) at a garage sale this weekend for $40 each! They're sturdy wood beds and I love the design of the headboard and footboard. Problem is I'm not crazy about the off-white with gold trim paint job(kind of colonial looking). The also have dark flowers stenciled on the headboard. This is the original factory paint job and is shiny. HELP? Should I strip them, just sand them, is there something I can prime them with before I repaint them. Should I use spray paint? I'd like to do them in all white. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. # ADS

I'd say you can probably sand them as you'll want a good surface for your new paint to adhere to, and to smooth out the old stenciling. Since they are already white, you could get away with only priming over the areas where the gold paint and stenciling are so they don't bleed thru your new white paint.
    Congrats on your great find!

sand them really well, then repaint the full thing.

you could probably just paint the sections, but there are 3 billion shades of white, and it would take incredible luck to get the right shade and sheen to do a touch up.

i would sand them so they are no longer shiny. I would advise priming the whole thing, so that you have a nice even base. Although sections are already white, your final top coat will be affected by what is underneath.
    then use a good quality latex paint. I would suggest topcoating with polyurethane - be sure that it is an acrylic kind that dries clear. Although if you use a semi-gloss or hi-gloss paint the polyurethane isn't absolutely necessary, i have found that it often reduces the chances of a sticky-yet-dry paint job where, even months later, objects seem to "stick" to the paint.

good luck and congrats on the excellent score.

Quote Originally Posted by rissaroo
    i would sand them so they are no longer shiny. I would advise priming the whole thing, so that you have a nice even base. Although sections are already white, your final top coat will be affected by what is underneath.
    then use a good quality latex paint. I would suggest topcoating with polyurethane - be sure that it is an acrylic kind that dries clear. Although if you use a semi-gloss or hi-gloss paint the polyurethane isn't absolutely necessary, i have found that it often reduces the chances of a sticky-yet-dry paint job where, even months later, objects seem to "stick" to the paint.

good luck and congrats on the excellent score.
    Sorry for the hijack but... would I do the same thing if I wanted to paint my cherry wood sleigh bed? It has a kind of shiny finish. Thanks.

selah-
    yes, the basics are the same. the reason behind sanding is so you have an even surface for your paint to adhere to. also, you want to "scuff" it up a bit - paint will tend to "peel" off if the surface you are painting on is shiny.
    primer is your friend. in general, primer gives you an even base over which to paint. if you have wood that was ever stained, it blocks any old stain from seeping through and making your paint job look uneven. also, primer is cheaper than paint (generally), and you reduce the need for another coat. You can have primer tinted, i believe, at the hardware store to match your paint color.
    while the primer isn't 100% necessary, i'd say i've had better luck with pieces when i took the time to prime vs. when i painted it without.

Thank rissaroo, you've motivated me to get started on my bed. I hate sleigh beds but maybe after we prime and paint it something funky I will be able to stand it.

If you've got an electric sander, it's not a tough job. I used one to get all this 100 year old black paint off some chairs and then I primed and painted them (though I used an oil-based paint, since the chairs were wooden).

As for the sleigh bed, I'd take it as is! I've always wanted a cherry sleigh bed. :) It's funny how tastes vary, isn't it?

As an added note to the previous suggestions about priming ---- the shellac-based primers (Zinsser - BIN) work really nice for creating a clean, workable surface for applying a new coat of paint to old furniture. That's because the shellac does a great job of sealing up whatever old, hidden finishes might be lurking under the surface (which can easily bleed through non-shellac based primers). Shellac also ensures that whatever new finish you apply over the primer -- water based, oil based, whatever, will stick.

Repainting furniture on regular basis is very important for long life of it. Painting the furniture makes it secure from so many aspects like weather and some external sources. There are so many ways of painting available in different conditions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads