The Ideal Mommy Group...

What would it have?

I just came back from my first, (and last) visit to our local mommy group. It was nothing more than a bunch of really bitter women slagging their partners while their kids beat the hell out of each other.

My ideal mommy group would have...

*A fancy coffee machine
    *Marguritas for the afternoon meetings
    *Arts and craft for mommies and kids

What would yours have?

2. # ADS

I SOOOOOOOOOOO feel you on this... I tried going to the only two mothers groups in my area. One lady actually asked me to go nurse in the bathroom.
    Mine would have:

- Those spongy wresting mats for the kids to play games on.

- A super cool yoga instructor for moms and kids to do together

-teenagers to mind the little ones while we make snazzy crafts and drink the margaritas !!! :)

<Snicker>

Guess I was feeling a bit selfish...I didn't list what I'd like to see for the kiddies!!!

BAD MOMMY!!!

ugh. i got dragged to a mommy meeting by an old high school friend i ran into. i was staying with my parents in the burbs at the time and everyone was a former exec gone stay-at-home mom. all with macclaren or peg perego strollers. everything top of the line. surely not a single hand-me-down on any of the kids. it was the worst. i felt like such a freak - the tattooed mom with the mixed race baby "ohhh, that's an interesting combination...." it was awful. and then i would accidentally go to a local cafe when they'd have their special meetings out and have to come up with some excuse that i was in a rush or just act like i didn't see them. i thought secretly that i should just join and make my son all kinds of crafty stuff so they'd want to buy it all because they were gushing over something i had made that he was playing with. but i just couldn't sell out like that. i think i would have gouged someone's eyes out!

so i'm sitting here and trying to figure out what i would want in a mommy group and i haven't a clue. cool moms? it would have to be something damned good or you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to the next meeting!

no stuck-ups allowed

no Miss-know-it-alls allowed

babysitting provided (with activities) so Moms can craft, chat or whatever else, in peace

good food that we dont have to prepare

i'm there, MRSM103! but the dues should be on a sliding scale.... i'm broke!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a not-so-great time in a mommy/kids group. I avoid them like the plague! When my older son was a wee one, I took him to gymboree classes. It was like being the oddball out with all the high school cliques again! AAARGHHHH!!!!
    The only exception is the Mommy and Me class I take my 3 yr. old to now. It's a wonderful school, only 10 yrs. young, and very family centered and not snobby. I love it there and I think I may send Cami to pre-school a few days/week there.

My ideal playgroup woiuld have:

-plenty of open space for the kids to run around tons so they'd tire themselves out and have great naps that day

-fresh fruit and yummy bread for kids and parents

-some singing

-parents who actually attend to their children

But what I'd really like is a mommy group that goes out at night for drinks and dinner and doesn't talk about their kids at all. I group of 3 or 4 other women that I really really like.

It's hard because most of the time all we have in common is having kids and I find myself having playdates with women who get on my nerves.

Getcrafty playgroups/mom's night out would rock!

Oh man. Ya. I know how you all feel. I was going to our local mommy groups and you really have to persevere. There were times when I felt alone but you just keep plugging and genuinely showing interest in others. People do come around to you and it's always the person you think is the snobbiest. I find, ALWAYS. It's kinda funny. It took me almost the entire YEAR I was home to FINALLY become comfortable with going. One group I recently joined before going back to work, was so great and I miss it. It was at my church (not affiliated with the religion though), there was a HUGE area for the children and the women were sooo cool. I actually heard of this group through someone I met at the town's group that was harder for me to break into. It's hard to find those people who you as a parent really 'click' with.

I actually went to the town group's holiday party at one woman's house by myself and didn't really know a soul and had a fun time. My husband said he gave me credit for doing that but I think I was just so anxious to get some time out that I didn't give a hoot!

Remove Ads

Ads