Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ever watch SuperNanny? She was encouraging a mother to act all peppy in getting the kid to eat. "Three bites! Show me one! Yay, that's one! Now show me two! Horray! Can you show me three? You did it! You took three bites!" My kid would look at me like I was nuts, but maybe yours would like that game.

2. # ADS

What about Fondue? It's messy and it's cheese, what more could a kid want? My niece and nephew were pretty picky so when they came for a visit, I made fondue. They actually ate broccoli and cauliflower just to use the skewer to dip it in cheese. They ate more bread than anything but it was a tearjearking moment to see them eat their veggies!
    I have a SUPER easy recipe that tastes very good. You don't have to bother with all of those expensive and fancy cheeses; campbells cheddar cheese soup is all you need, and some other ingredients. PM me if you want it. Otherwise good luck!
    Jennjitsu

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    Ever watch SuperNanny? She was encouraging a mother to act all peppy in getting the kid to eat. "Three bites! Show me one! Yay, that's one! Now show me two! Horray! Can you show me three? You did it! You took three bites!" My kid would look at me like I was nuts, but maybe yours would like that game.
    i've actually done that, but it has only worked with food he likes. he asks for something, i make it, sit him down and he won't eat it. i've done this with the "you're not getting down (or you're going to bed. whatever threat seems worse) until you have 3 more big bites." i usually manage to get him to finish whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jennjitsu
    What about Fondue? It's messy and it's cheese, what more could a kid want? My niece and nephew were pretty picky so when they came for a visit, I made fondue. They actually ate broccoli and cauliflower just to use the skewer to dip it in cheese. They ate more bread than anything but it was a tearjearking moment to see them eat their veggies!
    I have a SUPER easy recipe that tastes very good. You don't have to bother with all of those expensive and fancy cheeses; campbells cheddar cheese soup is all you need, and some other ingredients. PM me if you want it. Otherwise good luck!
    Jennjitsu
    PMing you right now. i was just thinking about the fondue pot my sister gave me for my birthday a few years back and have yet to use.... and the boy likes his cheese!

Berkeley Parents Network is a really great site for information and advice. I found this thread about picky eaters and it has some good tips.

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/eating/picky.html#3

OK - so what do you do when its not a toddler. I have a 6 year old. He will eat nothing but pizza, grilled cheese on white bread no crust, peanut butter no jelly on white no crust and chicken nuggets. He's been this way since he was 3 and everyone kept telling me it was just a phase, he'll grow out of it, don't worry he's still GROWING. Three years later, I'm at my wits end.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by Knits4Fun
    Anyway, I digress. His sensory issues go along with his hands as well as his feet. The touch and textures of certain foods bother him even before he gets them to his mouth to discover whether or not he likes their taste. Thus, he's not walking because he has sensitive bottoms of his feet.
    That's weird. I am a VERY picky eater and it's mostly because of textures. I cannot stand onions in tacos or pizza. And it's not the taste at all, it's the crunchy-ness. Makes me shudder. I can't eat what my mom calls rump roast because it's stringy. Most of my limitations aren't because of what something tastes like, it's what it feels like. Although I make myself try things...I still can't bring myself to like some stuff. I also have very sensitive feet. When I was little my parents tried to put me down barefoot in grass. It touched my bare feet and I screamed and cried and brought my legs up. Nobody can touch my feet today because they are ridiculously ticklish. :) Even when I broke my foot I was thinking "Oh no, what am I going to do when the dr. has to touch my foot!" hehe. I had chicken pox and my mom tried to get me to take a bath in oatmeal stuff. I could NOT do it at all!

Anyway. Even though I was a picky eater growing up, I still got hooked on some good things. Like Cheerios and Life cereal - I cannot stand the sugary "kid's" cereals and I still eat these like snacks today :) Whatever he chooses to eat or not, as long as he's brought up on certain things he should grow to like them and not like the stuff that's bad for him. It seems like it's possible that he's just at a weird age too. But the only thing that worked for me, was CALMLY making me eat something every time it was served - at least three bites. Then eventually, some of the stuff I grew to actually like. It could help if you are excited to eat the stuff too...like "yay we get asparagus with dinner tonight!!" lol.

Maybe you can find one of his friends who likes something healthy to come over for dinner one night - he might want to eat it since they are eating it. That worked with green beans for me :)
    Thanks for the information, Chelsea! It makes me feel so much better to know others know what I'm talking about. Trying to describe this to people as the reason he's not walking is difficult--it sounds so hokey but it's true! I have days when I'm like, is he going to walk? EI assured me that he will with or without them but his central nervous system is just so overwhelmed with the sensations and he doesn't like them so he can't 'get past' the feeling it gives his feet. It is weird and I blame my husband, lol. He came in from siding our house last weekend, sat on the kitchen floor, took of his steel-toed shoes, and was like 'arrgh my feet my feet the bottoms of my feet' {now granted steel-toed shoes are hard} but I was like, see your son in there? He's YOUR son alright!

Good idea about the friend thing and it is funny how some things he likes for texture end up being better for him anyway. I gave him a sticky Twinkie and he threw it on the floor in disgust, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gg05
    OK - so what do you do when its not a toddler. I have a 6 year old. He will eat nothing but pizza, grilled cheese on white bread no crust, peanut butter no jelly on white no crust and chicken nuggets. He's been this way since he was 3 and everyone kept telling me it was just a phase, he'll grow out of it, don't worry he's still GROWING. Three years later, I'm at my wits end.
    I don't think it's too late to start, but make dinner and tell him that's it. I pretty much relent during lunch because PBJ and grilled cheese aren't UNhealthy, just not what I would choose for my daughter. However, at dinner, everyone eats the same thing. If my daughter doesn't eat it, she goes hungry and her dinner plate is her only option when she decides she wants to eat later. Like I said before, he won't let you starve him. He'll eventually come around, especially if there is no other choice. And include him in the decision process, too. Does he want carrots or green beans tonight? Tomorrow, would he like chicken or spaghetti? Once a week, I make sure to have her favorite "junk" like fish sticks and french fries (with green beans or carrots, of course) and I only offer milk at dinner. (only let him have one glass until he eats, though, because he'll fill his belly with milk)

I've had great success. My daughter eats most vegetables including broccoli and spinach. She loves salads and wheat bread and all fruits. She'll dutifully try something before she says she doesn't like it (sweet potatoes and corn are on that list). And then if I really think she doesn't like it and I want to serve it for dinner, I will give her another option that's equally as healthy.

Good luck with this. I know it won't happen for you overnight, but I hope it's an answer for you.

right now i'm having this food dilemma because the in-laws, though well-intentioned, supply us with costco amounts of convenience food and "healthy"snacks like froot by the foot, gushers, etc. these are all foods that in a perfect world, would never pass my child's lips. of course, now that he's gotten a taste, he wants those and every single snack item/sugary cereal on tv. i try to tell them what i DON'T want when they offer a costco run but it seems to fall on deaf ears. ("sugarfree jello is GOOD for you.") so now it's a fight until these items are gone. but after a major fruit roll up binge the other day, i have started to bargain that he must eat a banana or apple or whatever if he wants that crap. it worked yesterday. but not today. so he actually dealt with it and gave up on the quest for the fruit roll.

keep the handy dandy tips coming! anything random that worked for you? i don't want him to only want this crap and wind up only wanting white bread/processed/convenience garbage. once in a while, sure. but if he thinks this is a regular thing, he's gonna just have to not eat until HE gives in and eats what we have!

it might sound messed up but that's going to have to be the way it is. i decided this because evern tho his skinny mini metabolism might be able to handle it, but his sister is a little chunky baby and i don't want her to wind up having any problems. there's a lot of overweight/diabetes/not good things on their father's side....

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    right now i'm having this food dilemma because the in-laws, though well-intentioned, supply us with costco amounts of convenience food and "healthy"snacks like froot by the foot, gushers, etc. these are all foods that in a perfect world, would never pass my child's lips. of course, now that he's gotten a taste, he wants those and every single snack item/sugary cereal on tv.
    Can you either,

A) Hide some of this stuff. Have for example only five fruity roll-ups in the pantry at a time and don't be particularly quick about re-stocking from the remaining fruity roll-ups at the top of the closet.

B) Give some of it away to a local food pantry or homeless shelter, send it to troops in Iraq, give it away to co-workers.

My kids are not picky at all. I never say anything bad about any kinds of food in front of them, and have been exposing them to all sorts of foods since they started eating. My daughter started disliking marinara when she started hearing another kid complaining about it, but I would not make her plate different from the rest of the family's dinner plates... She pouted about it for about while, but when she stopped hanging out with that kid, her diversion from tomato sauce dissappeared! I've never given in to the requests to "cut the crust off" or given them the OK to pick certain parts of the food out and leave the rest. I lived with a woman who made a "special meal" for her son EVERY NIGHT because he was so picky. I think giving in to special requests or feeding them a small amount of "favorites" on rotation can be something that keeps them from trying variety which keeps them from being willing to try anything new. This is probably not helpful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads