Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina-Trilobyte

Can you either,

A) Hide some of this stuff. Have for example only five fruity roll-ups in the pantry at a time and don't be particularly quick about re-stocking from the remaining fruity roll-ups at the top of the closet.

B) Give some of it away to a local food pantry or homeless shelter, send it to troops in Iraq, give it away to co-workers.
    A) done a little bit of that, but thus far the no fruit, no crap rule has been working (knock wood)

B) (broke as a joke, good to have "emergency" food around)

Quote Originally Posted by audra
    My kids are not picky at all. I never say anything bad about any kinds of food in front of them, and have been exposing them to all sorts of foods since they started eating. My daughter started disliking marinara when she started hearing another kid complaining about it, but I would not make her plate different from the rest of the family's dinner plates...
    i won't speak ill of food in front of them, either. if he offers me something i can't stand like eggs or something with mayo, i say that it's so good, i want him to eat it all up. amd i totally agree that other kids influence eating habits - even the little girl in the grocery cart on the pedia sure commercial saying "i don't like waffles" has made my boy decide that he doesn't like them either. i'm about to drive an hour and a half, track you down and make my son watch your kids eat! (i'm joking. no stalking!)

2. # ADS

Ooooooh, Sarabell, I hate that commercial! My daughter said "I don't like broccoli, either," and I was like "yeah, you do!" And I hate that pediasure crap, too. It's like saying to your kid, "You don't want your veggies and other healthy stuff? Fine, enjoy this chocolate/strawberry milkshake, then!" I think the stuff was made for kids with digestion problems and weight gain problems, but it's being marketed now as a replacement for other healthy food in a child's diet and that just screams BAD IDEA!

My mother in law is a really bad "healthy diet" rule breaker. I don't let her bring food into my house. If she wants to feed my daughter something I don't like while we're over there, then fine. I limit the serving (who really needs six huge cookies?), but I allow the food. If the food is against what you feed your son and you've already told her that you don't want her to buy it for you, I'd calmly hand it back when she gives it to you and tell her it's not allowed in your house, but if she wants to give him one while you are at her house, then that's OK.

I'm in the same boat with a 10.5 month old. His diet consists of mac & cheese (sometimes I can sneak peas into it), whole grain toast (sometimes with cream cheese or tofu spread), chopped salad (chicken, pasta, lettuce, shredded cheese, onions, and tomatoes with dressing), and avocado. The only "fruit" he'll eat is watermelon. My ped. keeps telling me to introduce the same food to him at every meal until he eats it. That method isn't working.

I'm very interested in following this thread and getting suggestions.

I suppose I should be happy... my nephews would eat nothing but french fries, gold fish, and teddy grahams at George's age.

From a picky eater...

my mother and i fought tooth and nail about my food issues and quite honestly it's still with me today. Especially the "when you're older and you like this stuff you're going to regret not eating it now," argument. I hate the preemtive "I told you so."

I always viewed food as something negative as a result, (go figure.) But I have slightly reformed. I don't like eating fruit but I will drink fresh squeezed fruit juice/homemade smoothies so I think that's a good trade off. I've eaten some more vegetables but I still don't like leafy greens which leads to a question I have for you moms out there, I don't like lettuce/spinach/whatever's green because it tastes...green. It tastes like a how a florist shop smells. Over the years I've found that I have a VERY sensitive pallet (anything remotely spicey I cannot handle). Could that be causing some of your kids picky habits?

Also, I went for a few years undiagnosed with childhood depression. Whenever I was sad I wouldn't eat or used it as a form of "punishment." I don't know if that's true for everyone just keep an eye on things.

Nessa, it might sound gross, but I swear it works -- put leafy greens in your smoothies. The fruit flavors totally hide that grassy-green smell/flavor. Since you don't like eating them, go for the big guns, kale is really super mineral rich and so frickin good for you. Even greens and bananas can make a good smoothie, better than you'd think.

Re: From a picky eater...

Quote Originally Posted by NessaBoBessa
    Over the years I've found that I have a VERY sensitive pallet (anything remotely spicey I cannot handle). Could that be causing some of your kids picky habits?
    You're probably a supertaster (google it - I'm too lazy...). I'm one too, there are certain things I simply cannot eat. Unlike most supertasters I love vegetables though (especially leafy greens - yum) but I don't like sweet foods or anything that comes out of a can (with a few exceptions). I will eat those things if I absolutely have to though, but things like goat's cheese or blue cheese...no way.

Sorry about the slight tangent...

wow. i might be a supertaster...
    and i thought i was just finicky...
    interesting.

We had some progress today. I've been trying to get George to eat bananas for weeks. This morning I cut some up like usual and put them on his tray next to his toast - he popped them right into his mouth like he'd always been eating them.

Geesh. I guess his ped. was right.

Glassprincess - it took me nearly a year of putting mashed potatoes on my daughter's plate before she would finally try them. She refused them as a baby and then when she started eating with us, I just never gave them to her until she was 2. Then I decided to just put them on the plate and if she accidentally ate them, maybe she'd like them. Well, it was in about April, so 10 months later, that she finally took a bite and now she wolfs them down. Good luck with your boy!

Another trick that worked for our daughter is the old "close your eyes and open your mouth" trick. My husband did that once for a treat (ice cream or something) and then at dinner the next night, she begged him to do it again, so I told him to do it with the creamed corn and she actually ate it (she usually won't unless it's on the cob).

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    Good luck with your boy!
    Thanks... ;)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads