Anyone had preeclampsia during pregnancy?

Did they put you on bedrest? Or make you deliver early? Or something else?

My doc thinks I may have it (partly b/c my legs and hands and feet have ballooned up) and I'm going in this afternoon for an apt and I'm all wound up thinking about what may happen next. I'm only at 33 weeks.

Any experience in this realm?

2. # ADS

I experienced pretty nasty swelling around that time, too, but my urine was protein-free and my blood pressure was relatively low, so the doctor isn't doing anything about it. Fast-forward 6 weeks and I still have sausage toes and barely fit into my shoes. Sometimes it's a little painful, but the doctor says it's just fine. I put my feet up as much as possible (REALLY easy with a three year old) and just try not to eat too much salt for the fluid retention.

I hope this is the same case for you because I do think you go on a temporary bedrest to see if it goes away, and then permanent if it doesn't.

I had a friend who swelled up really badly. I forget what her doctor instructed, but she ended up peeing a river and things got better.

In my first pregnancy, I had some complications at 33 weeks and ended up on partial bedrest. She was born at 36 weeks - perfectly healthy, a little over 6 pounds.

One thing I never had (either time) was swelling, though.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I have a friend who has had issues with preeclampsia with all three babes. I guess hers was not severe, she was just told to take it easy, stick to a certain diet and get more rest than usual. Easier said than done with a couple of toddlers to tend to! My other friend (who delivered recently) seemed very swollen but it was just a lot of fluid retention. She lost a lot of weight within two weeks of delivery and looks much more like her old self now. I myself have not had a problem with it so far, neither did my mother. My ankles do some minor swelling sometimes but I think I've figured out it's parts of my diet that triggers it.
    I hope everything is okay!

Jenn

My son's birth.

I came down with preeclampsia very suddenly and very severely when I was at 31 weeks. I just went in for a regular checkup and was told I needed to go to the hospital that night. Before that point I was very healthy and had up to that point an uncomplicated pregnancy. I went in the hospital that night, they kept me there and we tried to induce, but my baby was too small and his heartbeat kept going down with each contraction, so a couple days later I had a c-section. (I had originally intended to have a home birth.)
    Don't know how things are with you at this point, but don't panic. My sister (not related by blood) had a mild case of preeclampsia with her second son and was able to carry him pretty close to term and I don't think she was on any serious bedrest.
    If you have any more questions please feel welcome to email me.

I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy but it was at like 37 weeks. I had a lot of swelling all through my pregnancy. I went to the doctor one night because my ankles were swollen down over the tops of my runners. He immediately sent me to the hospitla and put on strict bedrest. I was in for about a week and it wasn't getting any better so he did an internal exam, stretched my cervix and that started the contractions and that was it. I have had 4 successful pregnancies since then and didn't have a problem with any of them! Good luck, hon. Hope things go well for you.

Remove Ads

Ads