View Poll Results: Did you/would you take your partner's last name?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course

42 30.88%
  • No way! It is a stupid patriarchal tradition that should be phased out of society.

47 34.56%
  • Eh, I don't really care. If it meant a lot to him/her, why not?

47 34.56%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by Uneekdolldesigns
    If you think about it, you are taking someone's name no matter what you choose...I have been married over 20 years and I chose to take my husband's last name...if I didn't, I would have had my dad's last name so what's the difference? Ha!
    I just wonder why we teach our daughters that their names are disposable and never their own. A man would never think this way about changing his name ("well it's either my dad's name or her dad's name.")

2. # ADS

I just wonder why we teach our daughters that their names are disposable and never their own. A man would never think this way about changing his name ("well it's either my dad's name or her dad's name.")

Well, I am not sure exactly what you mean by we are teaching our daughters that their names are disposable?...I think too much is read in to the idea of a woman switiching her last name to her husband's.

If it really bothers someone that much to give up thier single life name, then by all means, they don't have to.

My personal feeling is that it was just my way of blending my life with my husband's- he didn't force me to at all. It just seems easier for us to have the same last name, less confusion etc. Like it or not, marriage is full of sacrifices on both sides in order for it to work, this is a tiny one to me and no big deal.

[quote="Uneekdolldesigns"like it or not, marriage is full of sacrifices on both sides in order for it to work, this is a tiny one to me and no big deal.[/quote]

And what sorts of comparable sacrifices do men - on average - make? I don't know, my name is sorta a big deal to me.

I chose #3 but the fact is that really it depends on the last name. I guess my first name will go with most anything and I can't really think of a name off the top of my head that I wouldn't take... but then again I kind of want to change my last name to Schmudlekinder and I am not entirely certain how possible it is to find a guy with that last name...

if i ever chose to go the legal marriage route again, which i doubt, i will probably not take the last name. why? because after my divorce, i keep getting called "mrs. (devil's-surname)" and getting mail for her and getting mail for HIM, and he's never lived in our current place. being called mrs. (devil's surname) makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time it's uttered.....

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    if i ever chose to go the legal marriage route again, which i doubt, i will probably not take the last name. why? because after my divorce, i keep getting called "mrs. (devil's-surname)" and getting mail for her and getting mail for HIM, and he's never lived in our current place. being called mrs. (devil's surname) makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time it's uttered.....
    I hear ya sarabell - nothing made me happier than telling the judge at our divorce hearing "no, I kept my name your honor; no need to change it back."

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Remove Ads

Ads