Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laundry Stains Know-How

Not an exciting post but I need some help. I enjoyed reading the laundry thread a while back although it made me realize I'm really not that good at doing laundry - I throw everything in the hot cycle. My current problem is stains. Specifically, is there any way to get spots of mold out of a shirt (spraypark shirt that was left balled up in back of car...) and how do you deal with oil stains in clothes (olive oil). I have shout gel that I put on things when I think of it, like blueberry and chalk but other than that I just shove 'em in my son's closet and say to myself that I'll fix them later. Later is now and I need your help! Thanks.

2. # ADS

For olive oil I have had good luck with Shout. I'm notorious for always getting that stuff on me whenever I eat a Greek salad (which is often)! Spray, wash, and if it's still there, repeat.

For mold- I recently had the same problem - I left my sheets in the dryer for a several days - I *thought* I had dried them and was just being lazy about taking them out to fold - but when I opened the dryer they were damp and moldy - I apparently never pushed the button!

Based on some tips I found on the web I tried washing them with color safe bleach - this totally fixed it for me. Other tips I found (but didn't need) were washing in lemon juice and letting stuff dry outside in the sunshine - a lot of people had good things to say about that method.

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks for the help. I forgot to say that we'd already washed and DRIED the moldy item. Is it true that once you dry something it sets the stain and you won't be able to get it out?

I won't even tell you how old I am, learning about all this stuff. I'm a late bloomer in the house arts.

I have had some success with spreading cheez-whiz on grease stains as a pre-wash--I rarely eat it, but now I keep a jar in the fridge.
    Like dissolves like and the 'natural' cheese enzymes (hard to believe there's actually cheese in there!) act to eat the stain away. Think of the foaming action that happens when you wash the queso cheese dip bowl!
    enjoy!

no eco-friendly home remedies from me on this topic but i'm a huge fan of ZOUT. even on stains that have been set in, gone thru the dryer, etc. sometimes it takes a few tries but it has saved many articles of clothing o ver the years. kind of on the pricey side, but it lasts a long time and is well worth it.

For food oil stains I use a bar of my boyfriend's soap. I wet the stain with cold water and then rub it with the soap. This also works great for the spots that sometimes show up after using dryer sheets.

Sarabell, Can you buy ZOUT at the grocery store? I've never seen it. Then again, I don't pay much attention to the cleaning isle - Obviously.

i've never had a problem finding it at the grocery store or target. it's a relatively small bottle, litke the size of a dish soap bottle. white with a blue and purple label. lives with the rest of the laundry stain removal stuff.

I think I bought zout recently, and it got out melted chapstick that was on a tshirt left in my husband's car for about a year now. I was very surprised. I thought it was beyond hope.

I'll have to double check the bottle when I'm home.

I used the shout wipes on some butter on my pants, and it didn't come out. I may try the new stuff I got and see if it works on old stains.

I've heard that lestoyl will take out grease stains ... but man that stuff smells NASTY. I'll look for the zout!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads