Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clothesline

Clothesline

I just started using a clothesline - any tips, advice, suggestions, warnings?

2. # ADS

Tip - heavy stuff on the outsides, near the poles/tree/whatever. Warnings - pets and children. Especially sheets and pants.

There is nothing nicer than sun-dried laundry (especially whites). However, if you have allergies, on bad pollen days the laundry will suck it all up.

I'm not sure if a trip through the dryer on air fluff for a few minutes after being outside will help with that. But it's just something to consider.

It's sometimes a good idea to do most of the drying outside, and finish with a tumble in the dryer. Towels and jeans will be softer for instance.

Whatever kind of clothespin you use, keep some on the line either in a clothespin bag or just clipped there. You never know when you need another.

Two parallel lines are best for heavier things. They carry the weight better, but you can separate them by a few inches so there's like a blanket tunnel on your clothesline and air will circulate on both sides.

Delicates I usually hang on a hanger under a tall shrub. The shade is better to lessen fading, and the hanger usually holds the items without leaving telltale marks.

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!

We have really hard water here and I think it's staining my husband's undershirts (weird, since it doesn't affect his regular t-shirts and dress shirts. Maybe it's the fiber content) and someone suggested line drying might help.

(That and I'm slightly annoyed that our neighbors are monopolizing the back yard and this is my passive aggressive way of claiming part-ownership ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    (That and I'm slightly annoyed that our neighbors are monopolizing the back yard and this is my passive aggressive way of claiming part-ownership ;) )
    Sounds like you need to start hanging some tighty-whities outside then, even if hubby doesn't wear them, it might be worth buying a pack for the creep-out-the-neighbors factor. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Sounds like you need to start hanging some tighty-whities outside then, even if hubby doesn't wear them, it might be worth buying a pack for the creep-out-the-neighbors factor. Heh.
    Oh, deliciously evil!!

Might I suggest a carefully placed coffee stain stripe?

"Might I suggest a carefully placed coffee stain stripe?"

This is the reason I keep coming back to these boards!

Also, if you're living somewhere you plan to be for a while, I read somewhere that planting lavender plants under your clotheslines will leave a nice scent in your laundry. I love lavender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads