Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Del
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina-Trilobyte
    I like Elizabeth (can create so many different nicknames), Maeve, Chloe (too popular), Zoe, Beryl and Saffron. I'd love to name a daughter Saffron, but outside of the UK, I think people would make fun of her.
    Beryl! I've never come across someone else who has even considered that a name. That one is on my short list, also Rosemary, Jane, and Alyssa.

For boys, Henry, Frank, Andrew, Peter or Nicholas. (After great uncles etc.) I figure the chances of my partner having a relative with these names it pretty high. That way it won't look like I'm naming after my relatives, but rather our relatives.

2. # ADS

Em-crafty wrote

Em-crafty..haha I love your response. I must agree that Ea is not a cool name. I really like the name Fiona btw, good pick. Well good luck in getting your partner to agree with you in a name. Mine does not like anything I suggest and the names he likes are so horrible. Oh well....:)

it's really interesting seeing the difference between names in the UK and America, most of the names you've mentioned so far would seem pretty weird here I reckon (weird is probably not the right word, odd maybe, or definately American!) And to see names that in my English mind are linked to dopey characters on soap opera's (Nigel, Martin and Ian) being suggested makes my head hurt- it's interesting how the associations you have with a name can turn it from one that sounds nice, pretty or interesting to one that makes you think of a dopey chip shop owner in Eastenders.
    I'm not planning on kids but my cats have human names- they've still got the names they were given at the rescue centre I got them from- I think i'd be rubbish at picking baby names, but here's the top 25 girls and boys names in the UK for inspiration:

Girls' Names

Emily
    Ellie
    Chloe
    Jessica
    Sophie
    Megan
    Lucy
    Olivia
    Charlotte
    Hannah
    Katie
    Ella
    Grace
    Mia
    Amy
    Holly
    Lauren
    Emma
    Molly
    Abigail
    Caitlin
    Amelia
    Bethany
    Lily
    Rebecca

Boys' Names

Jack
    Joshua
    Thomas
    James
    Daniel
    Oliver
    Benjamin
    Samuel
    William
    Joseph
    Harry
    Matthew
    Lewis
    Luke
    Ethan
    George
    Adam
    Alfie
    Callum
    Alexander
    Ryan
    Mohammed
    Cameron
    Connor
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by moggins
    Ceridwen means "sacred poetry" and she was the Gaelic goddess of wisdom.
    Dearest moggins, how does one pronounce that name? It looks lovely.

This is a pertinent thread for us, because cannot agree on anything, and must decide by February! Yesterday I found on JK Rowling's website a reference to trees that the Celts associate with various times of the year. So if we have a boy, Rowan would be appropriate. And my husband is a forest ecologist and all-around plant freak, so I think I could talk him into that.

I should interject that I have insisted on no biblical names, even though many are quite lovely. I am very fond of Esther, for instance. Mr. sandwich thinks I'm mental.

My grandmother's middle name was Meredith, so I'm thinking that for a girl. One source says it is Old Welsh for "protector of the sea." Which is funny, because I was thinking a cute nickname would be "La Mer."

The name "Volva" reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld ("Kids always made fun of me because my name rhymes with a part of female anatomy.") Why beat around the bush (pun intended)! Just name her Vulva.

And insistal, I know a very sweet guy named Rocky. I think it's a cute name.

I'm a little bit superstitous about posting names, for a couple of reasons. 1. is that for the moment the special boy and I are not interested in inviting the baby gods into our life, and 2. my family deconstructs all the names they hear and abuses them, so the pregnant ladies in my family have learned to keep names quiet until they are finalized so that no one can voice a negative opinion over the parent's choice (they wouldn;t be rude enough to dis a name that had really been chose, or at the introduction to their new grandchild!!!)

That said, I really love the names you guys have chosen. Living in Quebec we would choose names that pronounced easily and similarly in French and English. Our kids will likely go to French school but we speak English at home (as do our families), so we would need it to be simple. For example, Oliver in English is pronounced O-liv-e-a in French (which I like much better) but the poor kid wouldn't even recognize his own name in the other language!

I really like all the names mentioned above, especially Elliot!

del

When I was younger and sillier, I wanted to name a girl Caroline Jane, after my mom (carolyn) and jane's addiction. I still like it though! But, what about names that we won't name our kids because of bad associations? For instance, I really like the name Esther, but my old roommate had a crazy stalker girlfriend named Esther. She ruined it for me! Also, because I am a teacher, there are several names that induce shivers of horror.....Paul, Jalen, Sherika, Octavia and Tabatha (sisters from Hell)...anyone else with bad associations with nice names?

I really like the name Anna or Ann (Annie is such a cute nickname). I also like Elisabeth. I recently heard Cecilia shortened to Cecie, which I like a lot.

For a boy, I'm less sure, but I do like Elliott and Noah.

I have a bit of a conundrum, in that I won't be able to use a lot of the girl names I like with the middle name I have picked out. Most people called my grandmother Rain, short for Lorraine, and I really want to use that, but that pretty much knocks out any first name I like that is also a physical place or time period: Georgia, Savannah, Autumn, etc. Luckily, there are some names that I do like that would still work. My very favorite is Julia, which I especially like because it is the name of a Beatles song. I also like Emma, Sadie, Sophie, and Madeline (and Anna, but that is my niece's name, so I am kind of out of luck there).

For boys, I tend to like old-fashioned names: William (but only if there was a guarantee that he would not go by Billy), Adam, Noah, Dylan (my dad said that Dylan is not a very old fashioned name, at which point I told him that it is if you're Welsh).

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    ...my family deconstructs all the names they hear and abuses them...Living in Quebec we would choose names that pronounced easily and similarly in French and English
    Both of those were big problems in choosing our newest baby's name. In fact, we called her "the new baby" for three days and didn't finally lock on a name until day 7. After about the fourth month of pregnancy, we stopped telling people our choices because they would look disgusted (disgusted!) or say something negative and it was really hurting my feelings. Also, my husband's family is French Canadian and mine is American, so we automatically dropped a bunch of names after each other said them out loud. I really wanted to name her Eliza Jane, but it sounded like Eleeza Jan when my husband said it and that's two completely different names!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads