Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I try to clean really well once a week. After that, each morning I "straighten up" and do dishes throughout the day as we don't have a dishwasher. I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo and I am a very messy person so its not easy. But usually I craft in the afternoon and evening, though every once in awhile I have a f*$# it all day and do nothing but make peanut butter and jelly and work on my projects.

2. # ADS

i have grand illusions about a housekeeping plan like the one in that book home comforts, where each day of the week you attend to a different task: monday is laundry, tuesday is cleaning, wedneday ironing, thursday grocery shopping, friday bills etal. but writing, or kids or going to the park or cooking always wins out for me and i'm scattered trying to get everything done. even my meal plans end up changing all the time based on mood, whose sick or if my dh is going out or i am or whatever. i have no idea how we manage to keep things as organized as we do. mostly i feel like i'm just riding the wave that is our life and re-organizing every single day so that i can meet both my own creative needs and the needs of my family, meet my deadlines and honor the importance of keep a nice house.

It'd be nice if I did so well with crafting that I could hire someone to come in and do the big weekly clean for me.

Here's an example of my sloppiness and laziness: My folks give me some really nice luggage for birthday/christmas gift. I have nowhere to keep it unless I do a serious closet cleaning. So it's in the hall. Ben points out that I'm using it as a shelf now for stuff; I point out that what I"ve placed on it is actually trash. That's right, I have five nesting trash bins. Arrgh, if I'd only empty the closet and get the ball rolling...

Maybe I'll go do that now. It beats studying.

Jen

Hahaha. I'd retitle this thread "How do you balance craftiness and GetCrafty?" because I swear if I didn't come here for the first 3 hours of my day, I'd get a lot more done!

I just want to chime in about how great the Special Boy was to me today (and I thought this thread was an appropriate place)

He just called me at work to say, "hey, I'm gonna leave early and go to the grocery store," To which I said, "What chore needs to be most done in the house and I will do that," to which he replied, "No, you've done enough. Take some time to read for yourself or do some crafting."

That's what makes it work. I luv my boy!

del

Wow, he's a keeper!

Mine restructured our study/office room so I'd have a sewing space. :)

I can only manage to keep large, dangerous things out of the walking areas. I figure if I can do that much, I'm ahead of the game. I have clean/craft cycles. I'll clean the entire apartment, and be so pleased with the way it turned out, and make an ironclad oath to keep it so tidy and pretty. And then I decide that I want to paint and I haul all the stuff out into the living room. And then when I get tired of painting, it's too late to put everything back, so I say I'll just leave it there "for the moment." Three weeks later, I get around to cleaning up the apartment again and it just starts over.

I'm in a particular BAD cycle right now. The sewing machine has been on the dining room table for about...two months now. We push it out of the way to eat. The fabric stash is under the dining room table, all of the painting stuff is in the living room, there are fabric and yarn remnants everywhere...it's embarassing to admit.

I think I feel a cleaning cycle coming on...

What a struggle it is, huh? Plus, my friends and I all run around cleaning before we have each other over...so we never get a realistic idea of what a busy mom's house actually looks like.

I got pretty inspired from Home Comforts, although I'm not good at the one-chore-a-day thing. Mainly I've come around to her idea that it's not good to try to do things "ad hoc" - tackling what's the most out of control at a given moment. I make the dh take the kids for 3-4 hours each weekend to do a standard list...it's at an equilibrium point where it's just good enough to keep the house from getting worse each week. It's actually kind of cool to have the place to myself for awhile and not have everything undone the minute it's done...can stand back & admire it for at least a little bit.

I do hand off some other tasks to him and he helps with the nightly cleanup of the kitchen...so it's not like I am the sole provider of cleaning in this family.

The Speed Cleaning system (www.thecleanteam.com) also helped me out a lot...I don't follow that (or any) "system" to the letter but it has some good ideas for getting things done super-efficiently, like a cleaning service would.

We used to have cleaners come in when we lived in a cheaper place, and it was nice...but I must say I have a sense of accomplishment now about getting it done myself, and I think I do as good a job as they would.

***If totally anal housecleaning discussions bother you, stop here ;-) ***

Here is something that was magic with the constantly demoralizing battle against laundry: I made 6 labeled laundry baskets that stay in the garage laundry area - each prominently states what they are (Dark Clothes, Light Linens, Bleachable Things etc.) and what temp to wash them in. I have hampers all over the house and I take them in a couple times a week and just quickly sort them into the right bins. Pretty much every day we put in one bin's worth and put it away that same day. I do not know why, but this has cured my laundry problems. It does make sorting a mindless, 5-minutes-to-spare thing rather than a daunting hourlong project...and having the stuff at least look organized is psychologically so much less traumatic than the same number of bins overflowing with random stuff. Or maybe laundry elves come in the night. In theory at least, pretty much anybody could put in a load of wash and not screw it up.

My husband and I split chores evenly - that helps a lot.

We also have our own offices - space to be creative without the tv in the room or someone trying to sleep in.

I am a rather orderly person, so this may not work for everyone, but I find organizing to be a crafty activity - how am I going to organize all these knitting magazines? Well, I can take out just the patterns I want and put them in decorated binders... or decorate some magazine holders for the ones I want to keep the entire issue of...

Sure, this doesn't work for everything (you've got me on how to make dishwashing crafty) but enough to make everyday chores a way to make my life more colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    ... but I find organizing to be a crafty activity - how am I going to organize all these knitting magazines? Well, I can take out just the patterns I want and put them in decorated binders... or decorate some magazine holders for the ones I want to keep the entire issue of...
    Ohh, I've started to do this too. part of it is that my job requires serious organization and paper managment, and I've drifted it over to my personal life. It started last year when we bought a one-drawer filing cabinet to have a place to put bills. Now we have three, and EVERTHING is stored in colour-coordinated folders. I have a hanging folder for each company (like the phone company, the hydro company) and then a regular folder goes in it for each year. Makes doign the taxes much easier, especially if you run a home business!

The Special Boy also has an insanely huge map collection, that used to be all in big zip-lock bags thrown onto a shelf. Now the maps are all filed by location. THere are hanging folders for major places, and regular folders inside. For example, "Europe" is a hanging folder, and in it are smaller folders labelled "France", "Spain", "Belgium", etcetera.

I've just bought shelving to go around the ceiling in our office/craft room to put small plastic bins of craft stuff where it won't take up valuable floor space. And, I've started making binders of instuctions that I've printed off the web, ripped out of magazines, etcetera. I am to have seperate binders for knitting, embroidery, sewing clothes, and also for recipes. I also want to buy those box things for the magazines I keep (The Scientist, Bitch). I wonder if one could make these out of recycling something else?

Last weekend, I unpacked all of our books, and sorted them into categories of travel, reference, and fiction, then organized by location, subject, and author's last name, respectively. It means I can now find all of my Robertson Davies' novels together instantly. I love to organize!

(feeling like a total dweeb right now)

(and this might have been a hijack - but this organization does help keep our place cleaner. Most of our clutter was paperwork. Now unpaid bills are stuck to the fridge, and paid bills get immediately sorted. My house is cleaner. So I guess it fits here).

del

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads